GT-Four

coldel

So how long until your peel it all off and go back to wrap again? ;)

Why'd you ditch the brushed aly wrap anyway? Surely the dip won't match the gear knob and handbrake as well or be as shiny? Were the other bits not as easy to wrap and colour conformance is more important there?

It all began to lift when sat in the sun, it needs doing by someone who can do it properly which means spending probably £100 for vinyl and time. I checked hydro-dip costs and was looking at over £200+ for the bits I just sprayed myself with a £10 can of plastidip.

• 5 months later...

Did a little bit of scrubbing up on the car engine bay, got out the old degreaser, APC, GTechique metal polish etc. and got to work 

Looked so bright by the time I finished even little Alfie was amazed...thing I was actually most chuffed with was getting the underside of the bonnet spotless, he didnt notice that though!

SAM_4351_Snapseed.jpg.c04129f85c126c93bbd2b0509e6a7ab3.jpg

I really like the three way strut bar on the car, apparently a custom jobbie from RT Performance many years ago, anyway the Gtechnique metal polish is great at getting it up to a nice finish. Shame once you think you got everything done i.e. wiping down all the individual little tubes etc. you take the photo, look and immediately see a little speck of dirt that escaped the job!

SAM_4348_Snapseed.jpg.312264f0760bf0e9b75696293bd1ef52.jpg

SAM_4354_Snapseed.jpg.b6e3c97feb593ad26e6ff9390b7bd704.jpg

Hoping to make some more static meets before the end of the year. There is a JDM UK one at Ace early December I signed up for. Here she is at a recent GT-Four meet :thumbs:

59e288b5ed51f_IMG_9285NoPeople_Snapseed2.jpg.998bdd0da88c2fd33ccc69d1076a1276.jpg

• Like 2

Cheers pal, its hard work! I have also decided COMPLETELY not to get an EBC - its so tempting to easily up the boost to around 310bhp but the amount of stories of ringland failure due to old age are so rife I have decided to keep her quite stock and focus on other areas. Few things on the list are replacing front indicator lenses, going to replace some of the suspension components that are looking a bit old, maybe a new head unit. Also on the lookout for a used Blitz or HKS exhaust, apparently my current set up is a 'bit loud' I have been told by people that have driven behind me... 

• 1 month later...

Well, I managed to get onto an AdamC3046 video recently which had me leaving the denbies PH sunday service and have to say was not too impressed with the high pitched whistle the bov makes! In the car it sounds fine but outside it sounds much higher pitched and a bit naff if I am honest. I have an HKS SSQV blow off valve on the car.

I did a bit of investigation online and found out something quite interesting, that you can with these specific BOVs change the pitch and sound of the air exiting the valve which is quite neat. You can remove the plastic fin and replace with different shapes to create different sounds. Like below:

sf_img_02.jpg

I also found out that lots of people rather than pay the £20 for a bit of plastic removed the fins altogether and thats what I tried on the weekend, and it sounds much better. The sound is much lower pitched, less of a whistle and more of a whhhhhhhhosh. 

Not an exciting update by any means but the car sounds very different now and I found out something very cool about these particular brand of BOV.

Sounds usually aren't the same on video as in real life. It will depend what you're watching them though and if it's a phone or cheap computer speakers they will rarely give true sound comparison. Get some one to drive the car past you and have a listen for yourself. I want a HKS for my car as they chirp rather than whoos. My nice expensive turbosmart sound just the same as any 20 quid dumpvalve, hence HKS being popular. If you remove the insert you may as well flog it and get any old dv.

Aye should probably let someone else drive my car (would be a first!) - these are sequential BOVs as well, its great watching the internals work as you can see the two moving parts (which makes them different to the standard BOVs as well)

A good friend of mine did exactly what you did not long ago on his ST205. Bought a HKS SSQV, didn't like the sound, so changed it. Sounds like waste gate chatter now. 

I'd've thought that the stories you hear about ring land failure are from those who don;t look after their cars as they should. In the ten years i had my Four and was part of the forum i came across this problem a handful of times. I wouldn't take it as gospel. Of course it happens, but like i said, it tended to be those who crank up the boost and rev the nads off it and never check the oil. 

Edited by Rock_Steady

Seems to be happening a fair bit now, with the cars knocking on the door of 25 years old and having run EBCs for a fair bit. Can't help but feel nervous :lol: still it really does shift for a classic car and now sounds bloody marvelous! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I bought one of these chaps 

5a4fb0134f020_ScreenShot2018-01-05at17_04_00.png.053d57772ad13f11558626046a43ac69.png

Has made it great now in terms of sound - not as high pitched, but gives it that pleasant whistle but at a lower frequency. Perfect!

About to replace some of the superstrut parts as well in the next couple of weeks, not going to be fun but needs must! Just waiting for some non-wet weather so can spend a few hours taking it apart and putting it back together again. Also bought some nicoman car mats - will pop them in shortly and get some photos but they are pretty good for the money.

Its hidden inside the BoV so unfortunately the lovely shade of purple is mostly hidden away!

These are the mats I bought, they are from a startup company called Nicoman who were in Jap Performance Mag last month. Had a chat with the guys and they custom made these to fit (as they hadn't done a set for an ST205 Celica before funny enough!) - the material is rubber but its very thin 'spaghetti' type rubber that is easy to clean i.e. just spray it down with water.

IMG_0262_Snapseed.jpg.144159f6fa5e88bb13dfb2a777e2e791.jpgIMG_0265_Snapseed.jpg.6c6d289cfdb68727e9bb522ff82f05e8.jpg

• Like 1

Yep leather front and back and in great condition too thanks to the previous owner storing it indoors. 

As far as the cold, I don't even notice, our boiler died on Boxing day and we still haven't had it fixed so had no hot water or heating since then! 

Although another good job done over the weekend, due to lack of use over the last month and the cold weather the battery was struggling so hooked it up to the trusty CTEK booster and ran the 6 stage cycle for around 14 hours - happy days. Would really recommend them for keeping battery in good condition 

https://www.ctek.com/products/vehicle/mxs-3-8

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got these chaps in the post today and fitted them. Old Michelin ones had frozen solid too many times and had given up the ghost. Thought about Piaa wipers but would have come out around £60 for a pair which seemed a touch overpriced. These will do the job just fine I am sure...

IMG_0307.jpg.e4b425c224b03f167c19f69a20054a16.jpg

Woke up this morning to find all sorts of dust on the car thanks to some high winds last night, so wasn't having that. Out came the equipment and set to work. Cleaned up really well the Vics Concours wax I put on before Christmas holding out nicely with plenty of sheeting of course helped by using Bathe+ which is a wonderous shampoo. 

I had also decided to do a bit of plastidipping, the GT-FOUR alu insert that is underneath the main vent grille in the bonnet was looking a little aged so decided to get some metallic dip and spray it black to make it look neat again and just make the vent a bit more subtle (as subtle as a big bonnet bulge with a hole in it can be). 

Shiny happy bonnet

IMG_0314.jpg.3d679d261b186a419483b967f080d332.jpg

Black plastidipped grille

IMG_0316.jpg.67a0bd5f85842fe3f2245d8484a32ade.jpg

Yes, I know heat comes through the grille, yes I can see it as I am sat in the car, no it wont melt the plastidip as its rated up to high temperatures.

• Like 3