GT-Four

coldel

Yep all good mate. I had a little wobble a month or so ago when the temp gauge flew up and there was coolant in the undertray. Of course the FB community (there is no GT4 forum to speak of) went through all the possible issues from water pump (which was replaced before I bought it) to various other doomsday scenarios. Got the undertrays off, and noticed some red dry residue on a rad pipe (which is an aftermarket silicon hose). Checked the clamp and it literally was spinning on the pipe! It was only staying on by virtue of the slightly tight fit - no idea how it came loose. 30 seconds later and some tightening of the clamp ran the car for 30 mins not a single bit of coolant - has run perfect since. 

I am off on a Euro road trip later in the year so going to do all the belts (they were done about 18k miles ago by previous owner) again anyway no harm in having a load of new stuff on the car. Also looking for a used Blitz Nur Spec exhaust (not really up for paying nigh on £800 for a new one!) as the current one is pretty loud and not sure I could handle 2000 miles of that!

• Like 1

It is pretty loud I can assure you...when we drove up to Cov last year I mentioned how loud it was to Buster I think it was and he was skeptical probably took what I claimed with a pinch of salt. He followed me to the venue and later said 'god your exhaust is effin loud!' :lol:

Nur Spec has a much better tone to it as well as being a little bit quieter for my tender old ears ;)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, coldel said:

Also looking for a used Blitz Nur Spec exhaust (not really up for paying nigh on £800 for a new one!) as the current one is pretty loud and not sure I could handle 2000 miles of that!

Great call. Had a Nur on my MR2 - easily the best sounding exhaust to mate up with the 3SGTE :D

On 3/19/2018 at 08:22, coldel said:

Yep all good mate. I had a little wobble a month or so ago when the temp gauge flew up and there was coolant in the undertray. Of course the FB community (there is no GT4 forum to speak of) went through all the possible issues from water pump (which was replaced before I bought it) to various other doomsday scenarios. Got the undertrays off, and noticed some red dry residue on a rad pipe (which is an aftermarket silicon hose). Checked the clamp and it literally was spinning on the pipe! It was only staying on by virtue of the slightly tight fit - no idea how it came loose. 30 seconds later and some tightening of the clamp ran the car for 30 mins not a single bit of coolant - has run perfect since. 

I am off on a Euro road trip later in the year so going to do all the belts (they were done about 18k miles ago by previous owner) again anyway no harm in having a load of new stuff on the car. Also looking for a used Blitz Nur Spec exhaust (not really up for paying nigh on £800 for a new one!) as the current one is pretty loud and not sure I could handle 2000 miles of that!

Not trying to scare munger here but, just keep an eye on the turbo if the engine has over heated temporarily. On a more exciting note, i had a blitz NUR - Spec -R on my four and it sounded epic!!!

Yes will do, nothing amiss since and it literally started going up and I pulled over immediately before the needle got to the top. I always carry spare coolant (Toyota Long life), oil etc. in the car so she got a top up straight away. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Although technically not car related, I know Dan @Ekona you asked about the Apeman camera I bought as a cheap option to a go pro. I have to be honest, never really used it much (will do on the upcoming euro road trip I am sure) until last weekend when I decided to snorkel in the shark tank at London Aquarium! The camera came with a waterproof skin you could put the camera in (I did test it under a tap at home before entrusting it to safely look after the camera in the tank!) for underwater shooting, and I have to say given the camera and all the accessories cost something like £70 am happy with the quality of the video it returned. I recorded it in higher definition but YT only lets you go so far for some reason when uploading it 1080p.

https://youtu.be/32kQGh-nkos

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Little update. Bought some new front indicator casings. Fitted them today in the rain! Photo shows one on the right changed vs 23 year old original on the left. makes the front look a little fresher :thumbs:

Looking at getting a rear whiteline sway bar next to sharpen up the turn in/handling

IMG_1026.jpg.ed1d2ca1fe130deaa1fc78da4ed77aee.jpg

Yep white, black and silver are the common colours. You then get the occasional red, and storm grey I think its called.

Seriously thinking about getting a whiteline rear ARB - you can get the unadjustable ones for around £110. Adjustable ones have 3 settings but the hardest setting is almost undrivable on the road so cannot see the point in paying an extra £50 to buy one that does pretty much the same thing and I will never adjust. Lots of owners rate them.

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, coldel said:

The Nico mates are brilliant. I drive the car on weekends only but to keep clean and look after are miles better than carpeted style mats. Miles better.

Awesome, thanks for the reply. Will get a set ordered

• 2 months later...

Well as the old girl is going to carry me nigh on 2500-3000 miles to Lake Como and back next week thought I would do the honourable thing and give the car a polish and change of oil/sparks, replaced the passenger window motor which had failed and an upper ball joint that was getting a bit of a wiggle on...

So some TLC of a snow foam, wash, clay, and then some Scholl S20 with a DA followed up with some Soft99 wax

IMG_1785.jpg.0666be13105e05fc505a873dcd0796ad.jpgIMG_1787.jpg.4b43545c7afe94239d3f825d0fe91cbd.jpg

Followed by the grease monkey work (known as my dad the retired mechanic) - that joint took some effort with the press, and a large hammer...

IMG_1791.jpg.2d964df28598347e3b0a89a531108238.jpgIMG_1789.jpg.40ba69d01ee6dee99fea82c820bd6915.jpg

Edited by coldel
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Decided to revamp the gear knob. So ordered a custom alu jobbie weighing in at 300gms with a gt-four design on top. Also decided the leather gear gaiter looked tired so ordered some suede material a rubber washer some superglue got the scissors out and set about making my own one. Looks OK in the dark let's see how it looks in the morning! 

6D2873EB-607F-45C5-A952-7594ED57E40B.jpeg.6696353853dff2490c5e16994367d529.jpeg1420DE7E-D6C1-401E-837E-2C50541B3B23.jpeg.5490a2c86540933e7d060b2708dc5c11.jpeg

• Like 2