GT-Four

coldel

• 3 weeks later...

A good morning spent at the South Coast Workshop with Mike and Barry - few jobs done and car is much improved! https://www.facebook.com/southcoastworkshop

Turned up at 7:45am and treated to a hot cuppa and a tour around Barry's rather special GT-4. Then spent many an hour gassing with Mike about cars and life as Barry did his stuff - first up the Tein Springs:

IMG_1469_Snapseed_zpsijzsttdl.jpg

Does involve removing the whole leg of the strut - actually when we had the fronts out the bearing in the front strut tops literally fell apart! Guys had a set spare so they went on also.

Whilst the car was up in the air I thought I would grab a snap of the underbelly, no rust, good signs :)

IMG_1466_Snapseed_zps76jfswvr.jpg

I received a set of bonnet lifters just this week I ordered in from overseas, so the guys kindly fitted those along with removing the original insulation and drip tray from under the bonnet

IMG_1479_Snapseed_zpsdsal41ca.jpg

The noise is TREMENDOUS, the insulation must really have been muffling the BOV as its now whooshing and generally the noises are all good and plenty of theatre.

Car was then dropped down and backed out the garage for 'that moment' where I check the height and decide if I had done the right thing - and it was a resounding yes from an aesthetic point of view :teeth:

IMG_1471_Snapseed_zpsj7sobw2s.jpg

Made a big difference to the handling, car has less roll in all directions, a flatter turn in, actually the stiffer ride just makes for a more sporty drive - love it!

Also whilst looking the car over Barry confirmed that the body kit is genuine TRD :teeth:

Great day with the guys at the workshop - super friendly, really helpful, they certainly know their Jap cars, they had a very nice S15 Silvia in which was undergoing an RB engine conversion B)

• Like 3

If you look closely on the last pic, you can now see in through the vent and see all the red pipework and HKS blow off valve - looks quite cool - will need to fabricate a plastic cover though for when the bad weather comes back :surrender:

The guys are based in Emsworth near Portsmouth, if any of you southern lot need some work done they are open 7 days a week and well priced, very competent and love their cars.

If you look closely on the last pic, you can now see in through the vent and see all the red pipework and HKS blow off valve - looks quite cool - will need to fabricate a plastic cover though for when the bad weather comes back :surrender:

Yeah I did spot that. B)

Quick google search solves your problem...

IMAG0314.jpg

IMAG0316.jpg

Source: http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=88847

Should be easy enough to make a cardboard template, then make out of sheet metal (stainless steel) and then fit in place. ;)

Yeah saw that, I want to keep the vent open though in normal operation, when sat in traffic you can see the amount of heat it releases from the engine bay, I don't want to block the vent off from the inside but want to be able to cover it if we have say a full days downpour of rain. I still have the original plastic drip tray in emergency and takes just a minute to clip back on but means opening the bonnet.

Ah I get you now. Just something to place over the top then when it's raining. ;)

You could always "borrow" a McDonalds tray (the ones you get for carrying food to eat outside) then just cut it to size. Just costs the price of a McDonalds then plus you get a meal out of it too. :teeth:

Tray.jpg

;)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Few more bits done today:

1. Fixed the amp/sub - turned out it was just a fuse (cheers Veilside!) and I also tidied away all the wires etc

2. Got the head unit sorted so that it wasn't on a permanent live

3. Bought some red metal edging to go on the metal panel at the front of the engine bay - good spot by South Coast Workshop that these plates tend to work a line into the rads which are plastic topped

4. Took off the TRD badge on the front - actually made me realise how much of a respray the front grille needs!

Pics:

IMG_1809_zpslriqio50.jpg

IMG_1810_zpsqihqklgt.jpg

Nice getting some jobs done.

I'm in the same boat now with my new motor, ...lots of little things to do just for the fun or satisfaction of it.

The cigarette lighter didn't work in my CTR so I was pleased to see it was just a fuse gone after a little dig around the fuse box yesterday. Nice when it turns out to be a cheap/easy fix. :D

I bought an Alpine SWE 815 - 8 inch unit, have to say it absolutely kicks! Great investment.

Sounds like you'll be getting neons next followed by trawling McDonalds for 16 year old girls. :lol:

I jest of course, ...KFC is where the bit**es be at. :lol::D

• Like 1

I didn't manage to pull any of da fit birds 'init yesterday but I did manage to give the car a good 3 hours of cleaning heaven.

G3 detox shampoo (Halfords special but surprisingly good!), followed by some Megs Ultimate Pre-wax Glaze then some Victorias Concours Wax. The Megs stuff was hard going and took quite a bit of buffing, prefer the Poorboys stuff actually, the Vics wax was outstanding though! Read some reviews on it when searching for good waxes for red cars and took a bit of a punt on it as I usually use Dodo Supernatural but this really is amazing stuff - easy on easy off and actually got to see how well it beaded as it rained last night and could check on it this morning.

IMG_1860_Snapseed_zpsjnt48d5p.jpg

IMG_1857_Snapseed_zpsv4wsohq4.jpg

• Like 2

Get a cooler thermostat for it. 3S-GTEs do get hot!! I got a HKS one for £50 and it made the car run a little cooler, not too much but enough to give me some peace of mind. BTW, the four is looking JDM supreme coldel. You've got a really nice 205 mate.

Thanks mate, I am loving the car, it is so capable in any situation be it cruising a motorway or attacking B roads.

Yes was thinking about the thermostat - it had a new one put on before I bought it (guy spent a small fortune on replacing just about everything OEM) but its a standard one I think. I havent had any problems with temp so far with water temp sitting quite nicely midway, even after some spirited driving yesterday down to the south coast in 25 degrees of sunshine it never waivered. I have removed all the insulation also so you can see (somewhat scary!) the heat escaping through the vent in the middle of the bonnet which must really help.

Almost snapped up some used Rota GTR wheels yesterday, the Team Dynamics wheels are about the only thing I am not 100% sold on on the car at the moment...

Had the same on mine. Could see the heat shimmering out of the hole in the bonnet. Not a bad thing. Yes, the four is a very capable car that responds well to tuning. bit of an unsung hero in the turbo 4-wheel-drive world. I think they have proper road presence. Cool, cool car.

• Like 1

Not much time to tinker this weekend as over in South Wales for a mates 30th but managed to sneak in a little trial of some titanium bolts I want to use in the engine bay - like them actually!

FullSizeRender_zpsotletgm1.jpg

Almost snapped up some used Rota GTR wheels yesterday, the Team Dynamics wheels are about the only thing I am not 100% sold on on the car at the moment...

That's cool.

Didn't want to mention it but I'm with you on the Team Dynamic alloys. :dry::lol: Just too many spokes on them imo. ;)