Drag when clutch pressed

coyoteboy

Anyone had what feels like 99%, but not 100%, disengagement of the clutch? I've got very few complaints with this car but it slightly crunches 2nd at times and at the same times it often drags - by that I mean if sat on the flat in neutral, push clutch to floor, engage first - as the syncros take up the speed difference the car nudges forwards a /tiny/ bit. Naturally any clutch drag would upset the syncro for second (and other gears) too so I'm curious to find out if there's adjustment for this or if it's all auto-adjusted in the hydraulics and not controllable?

Common sort of issue with the 370z.

The clutch pedal can be adjusted (awkward but easy DIY) to raise/ adjust the bite point and therefore increase total level of disengagement. This will only work if the clutch is in good order.

The expensive solution would be new clutch or synchros if the adjustment didn't work.

Plenty of info/ how-to's on here and on 370.com.

Edited by Siman350z

• 2 weeks later...

Change the clutch fluid man, I had a clutch issue, changed the fluid first (it was black !!!), and it's gone away.

I track my car a fair bit, so I'm pretty sure high temps and enthusiastic driving will take its toll on the fluid.

Agree on changing the clutch fluid- if there are black 'bits' in it, this could indicate that the rubber on the CSC (clutch slave cylinder) is breaking down.

Worth a go even if it's just black with no bits- the black is clutch dust and will increase friction/wear on the moving parts.