Twin turbo 350z build.

TT350

22 hours ago, Ian said:

A 5K 335D with 100BHP over standard? What could possibly go wrong :lol:

Nothing. Everything.  

Perhaps BMW really restricted that engines

capability. 

As for the price, well, that's just the going rate for a 2010 335D with average miles. 

I dare say 290bhp and 420ib/ft will be more than enough fun. It's only a temporary car.

Also....its just dawned on me as I write this that before the end of 2019 the R33GTR is legal for import to north America, which will drive prices sky high like it has with the R32. 

Perhaps it'd be wise to find a decent standard one and keep it stored a few years. That would be an investment.

9 minutes ago, TT350 said:

Perhaps it'd be wise to find a decent standard one and keep it stored a few years. That would be an investment.

Where's the enjoyment in buying a car and then not using it ?

• 2 months later...
On 23/03/2019 at 19:48, ATTAK Z said:

I've got this great scheme coming up - drop me a PM if interested ;)

I did. 3 times. No reply. I guess the scheme wasn't great.

I'm really missing my Z, guys. Very much.

I had bought an Audi A4 2.0 TDI on 55 plate. Lordy. It was spotless. Beautiful. 2 owners. Decent grunt from the 140bhp. 

But, he must have seen me coming.

Oil pump failure, which is a common fault on the 2.0TDI. The pump is built into the engine at the bottom and the shaft gets worn down. Oil pressure light comes on. Forums say, by that point, your turbo has probably suffered damage too. 

I gave £1300 for it thinking it would be a cheap, comfortable stop gap until I come to get another beast of a car.

But, injectors failed, too. Some glow plugs needed changing. 

I cut it loose to a friend who owns a garage for £500.

Now, am in a Renault Clio 1.2 Ripcurl.

Black.

79k miles

2 owners since new

No bumps, clunks, rattles, or otherwise unpleasant sounds. It is extremely quiet. I can't hear or feel the engine when it's on and idling. Very nice.

Getting an indicated 42mpg round town. Motorways, it doesn't really like. 60mph in 5th isn't a good spot for it. 70mph is even worse. It likes 50mph in 5th.

I drive it very gently. I want this car to allow me to save money so I can buy a weekend warrior next summer. I will have a very healthy budget then. Maybe, 25-30k and there's many a performance bargain to be had in that price range.

But, I am really liking the 370Z more and more. I never used to appreciate its looks as much as the 350Z. But now I feel different, because the 370Z looks more and more like an older Z. A 240Z.

I'd like one in white or gunmetal. Black a 3rd win and the black edition equal.

Hear the 370 engine is a much better engine than the DE. For boost, too. Hmmn will I own another boosted Z?! 

Clio is my 3rd Clio. I had a brand spanker in 2001. It was a Renault Clio 1.2 Sport. My goodness, that was a waste of money. £14K on finance. Everything broke on it. Especially electrics. Gearbox. The wings were plastic. I remember my friend leaned on one, it cracked. So I had to buy the special wing and special paint to repair it.

I had 3 years free insurance  with it, which was a huge bonus. Probably saved £7500.

Second clio I bought two years ago. 1.5DCi. Much more oomph than the 1.2 Petrol Clio. It had the ability to pootle round town and also go on the motorway and even overtake. The car was £1000 on a 57 plate.

Neighbour wrote it of. I live on a steep hill, he had a works van. Left it parked with handbrake only. Never in gear. Cae snapped. Rolled right into side of clio. Obliterated. Quite lucky really that I parked my car there right at the bottom.the bottom so the fan rolled into the side. There was a garden on the other side of it, where kids play. So, my car made sure the van didn't plow through the hedge and into the garden.

Anyway, was a write off. I got £1750 from insurance!

The only bad thing about this Clio is the horrendous radio reception. 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Resurrection. 

New Z. New turbos. 

Told myself I wasn't going to mention it on here until it was ready as it'll be 18 months from now. 

But it'll be fully built by ONE company and not here for this, there for that. 

Currently in talks with Norris Designs for a drive in/out deal. Got a price which I'm happy with and an insane power figure and spec. 

They've done a few Zs now and sent me a few picture. One of a beautiful custom plenum. 

ND are responsible for some of the fastest Lancers in the world. They have a few world records. 

Last project was so much fun but so disappointing when yet another thing failed. Which was due to a local garage that I used.

This will be such a different experience. It'll just work. 

1582303924449_IMG_0984.JPG

• Like 2

On 21/02/2020 at 21:29, Andy_Muxlow said:

Nice. Good luck buddy, hope all works out this time. :thumbs:

Thankyou. Me too.

NDesigns are very reputable tuners. They've been around a long time. I remember their 600BHP CA18DET 180/200sx. Simon there told me they'd done quite a few since then. Over 700bhp with no increase in engine capacity. Just HUGE boost and fully built.

They do Mitsubishi Colt tuning, too. Few videos on YouTube.

Like I say, this will take a while, but I think it'll be worth it.

• Like 1

On 21/02/2020 at 20:51, HEADPHONES said:

Really looking forward to seeing this project.

I remember always seeing project cars in Banzai and Japanese Performance magazines which ND had worked their magic on.

So will you be looking for a donor car now or waiting til all the funds are in place?

I'm going to look for a non runner with engine damage because ND will be replacing everything in that department, anyway.

ND will receive the car, then I will keep giving lump sums as often as possible. Money burns a hole in my pocket, better to put it to "good use".

Once I've paid the penultimate instalment, work will begin.

I think I can make enough payments to get it done and dusted within 12 months. If I really nail it, then by then end of summer.

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen a Z for £1000 that, apart from a blown motor, is in great condition.

Seeing as the bottom end and heads will be totally rebuilt, a blown motor shouldn't be a problem, should it?

Simon tells me they will use something called a V band turbo. No idea what that is.

Do I go big single or twin? 

I asked for a minimal technical breakdown:

ND Forged engine

ND Custom twin turbo kit

ND Exhaust front pipes

ND Intercooler and pipe kit

400L Uprated fuel pump

ID Larger injectors (2000cc)

Link ecu and adaptor

harness Ecu Sensors as required

Custom Twin plate clutch

Breather system

Custom ND designed JE Pistons

Manley  beam con rods

ARP main and head stud kit

ND valve spring set

Tomei MLS head gaskets

ND ported heads

ACL race bearings

ND custom full exhaust 

Power figures, ND say far in excess of 650bhp. More depending on turbos used. Clutch capable of much more power and torque. 

Although it's going to be 18-24 months until it's ready, I'm quite excited. 

I didn't think I'd ever own another 350Z let alone another turbo Z. I was sure I would go Audi or BMW.

I would have happily sourced through @Adrian@TORQEN again but, after the difficulty I had last time, taking it here and there to save money, proved totally counter productive. I was itching to turn up the boost but....the overheating issue and the garages ineptitude buried the project. 

The engine was good for over 650hp. The clutch was good for 700ib/ft. It should have been plain sailing. I should still have it instead of selling it for a fraction of what I forked out. 

But, you live and learn.

I think by having it built start to finish in one place is the way forward, letting them source the parts, build it, tune it. Also, for accountability, to a certain degree, if theres a failed component.

On those lines, does anyone know if I can hold the garage that installed the bottom end, accountable for not investigating the gasket, even after 10 returns to the garage with the same overheating problem? 

I really hope for @Ian that theres no serious damage. I genuinely wouldn't have intentionally sold him a lemon. I thought it was just an air lock in the coolant system. 

As for the interior, it was my daily drive. I was working in a place that makes fibreglass truck parts. What was on the seats was gel coating. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Luckily, I'm still full steam ahead for this project. 

Seems this summer will be non existent anyway so, summer 2021 will be, I hope, great. 

By the way, clap clap clap for the NHS. A wonderful blessing that we don't deserve. I don't believe in God but there are Angel's in the NHS 

• Like 1