Twin turbo 350z build.

TT350

Rod bearings going is generally a sign of an oil issue. Could be too little oil, an oil pump failure/issue, oil pump not uprated to match other parts in the engine so not enough of it is being delivered, too thin oil, oil breaking down as a result of high temperatures, petrol in the oil causing the oil to break down, too high RPM's for a long time, too much clearance between the rod journal and the bearing would cause it to spin the bearing.

Gutted to see this, unfortunately there's a lot of possibilities that could cause it, I'd definitely start looking with the oil system though.

• Like 1

Feck - after spending all that dough dude.... feel your pain, I'd be truly gutted!  Whilst I'm sure this is of no help whatsoever, custom builds of this level was the main reason I avoided building my VQ and swapping to V8.

I'm also no mechanic, but you're continuously repairing this damn car dude, get shot of it, you're already knee deep in build costs and it doesn't sound like it's getting any better.  Forking out on a built engine and now this.... mate seriously I'd be looking at throwing the towel in.

46 minutes ago, djtimo said:

@*!# dude, Builder going to re do it.

Warranty claim 

Thats surely a build issue? 

The retailer won't tell me who the builder was lol.

It's odd. It doesn't get worse as the oil heats which it should as the oil gets thinner with heat.

I took it back to the garage yesterday. He doesn't think it's rod knock. He thinks it's the engine touching something. Off to TDI North tomorrow as I had it booked in for remap. They'll have a good look.

There's been no change in oil pressure. I've done 1200 miles gently so I think I'll get them to change it tomorrow, too.

Also new plugs, as it's running a fairly hot plug. 

I've lost my phone and remotely cleared it through Samsung so I can't whatsapp the retailer of the engine! 

Wish me luck for tomorrow! 

On 7/25/2017 at 06:59, TT350 said:

450 is what it's at and declared to insurer.

Just out of curiosity how much did boosting your Z put your insurance up by? I'm currently 20 and want to go down the FI route within the next few years, do you think I have any hope? :lol:

2 hours ago, Jake.Lowther said:

Just out of curiosity how much did boosting your Z put your insurance up by? I'm currently 20 and want to go down the FI route within the next few years, do you think I have any hope? :lol:

I can't really tell. When I first got it, insurance was fairly cheap. But the year after, it went up A LOT. That's before I turbo'd it. Then after I boosted it, insurance was fairly cheap. Then it was off the road and this time it was a nightmare to get cover AT ALL. Adrian Flux wanted £14k. Sky, the original insurers post turbo would no longer insure me. I'm 35 with max NCB.

Currently I'm paying MORE for a 1.5 Renault Clio diesel than I did for my Z the first year. It's also only £100 less than I'm paying for my Z right now all mods declared and like for like.

There's just no consistency in car insurance. 

But that said, at 20, do you have the 20k+ you're going to need for the project?

Edited by TT350

9 minutes ago, TT350 said:

I can't really tell. When I first got it, insurance was fairly cheap. But the year after, it went up A LOT. That's before I turbo'd it. Then after I boosted it, insurance was fairly cheap. Then it was off the road and this time it was a nightmare to get cover AT ALL. Adrian Flux wanted £14k. Sky, the original insurers post turbo would no longer insure me. I'm 35 with max NCB.

Currently I'm paying MORE for a 1.5 Renault Clio diesel than I did for my Z the first year. It's also only £100 less than I'm paying for my Z right now all mods declared and like for like.

There's just no consistency in car insurance. 

But that said, at 20, do you have the 20k+ you're going to need for the project?

I'm about to take mine off the road until next year and I fear I'll have the same issue. Admiral originally quoted me £1750 7 months ago if I do an online quote with them now it's £3300.

im paying £1900 with every declared on mine.

flux also quoted me £8000 and I don't have 20k sitting around right this moment, but I know it's my project car and I'm willling to work and sacrifice to get it where I want it. I won't be twin turboing or building the engine. At first I just wanna go single turbo 360-410bhp on stock bottom end and if I don't blow the engine I'll be more than happy with that.

1 hour ago, Jake.Lowther said:

I'm about to take mine off the road until next year and I fear I'll have the same issue. Admiral originally quoted me £1750 7 months ago if I do an online quote with them now it's £3300.

im paying £1900 with every declared on mine.

flux also quoted me £8000 and I don't have 20k sitting around right this moment, but I know it's my project car and I'm willling to work and sacrifice to get it where I want it. I won't be twin turboing or building the engine. At first I just wanna go single turbo 360-410bhp on stock bottom end and if I don't blow the engine I'll be more than happy with that.

With the 350Z being a V6, twin turbo is the easier option as it has one per bank, either side of the engine. There are discussions on here about single turbo kits. What do you hope a single turbo will do rather than a twin turbo?

Response is great with a couple of small turbo's and plenty of displacement. 

To be honest, for your modest goals you'd be much better off with a supercharger. My engine failed at 400hp. Superchargers aren't as stressful on internal components.

If you do go turbo, be aware that it'll be time and money consuming! Clutch and tyres become consumables lol.

10 hours ago, TT350 said:

With the 350Z being a V6, twin turbo is the easier option as it has one per bank, either side of the engine. There are discussions on here about single turbo kits. What do you hope a single turbo will do rather than a twin turbo?

Response is great with a couple of small turbo's and plenty of displacement. 

To be honest, for your modest goals you'd be much better off with a supercharger. My engine failed at 400hp. Superchargers aren't as stressful on internal components.

If you do go turbo, be aware that it'll be time and money consuming! Clutch and tyres become consumables lol.

I was looking at the pro charger kits they make fitment look so easy, I've seen people fit them on their own drive by themselves in one evening. Works out cheaper than the twin turbo kits as well.

thanks again for the advice man I won't be doing it this year since no insurance company will touch a 20 year old with a boosted Zed but it's on my todo list :D

a procharger isn't a turbo, it's a centrifugal supercharger lol.

It's also significantly easier to fit as the exhaust isn't spinning the turbine, a belt is. There's no need for custom complicated exhaust systems, fitting turbos behind the engine etc.

Prochargers are cool, don't get me wrong, but they're definitely not a turbo.

Howdy. 

So the knocking WAS there but it was just a part of the downpipe touching something.

I've lost power due to the lowered compression. I was told I wouldn't need a boost controller on this occasion but yeah, I did need one!  

A smidgen under 400hp at 3psi. 0.4 bar roughly. Will increase to approx 1 to 1.2 bar on 13th September.

I need Adrian to message me reg; clutch!

19 minutes ago, TT350 said:

Howdy. 

So the knocking WAS there but it was just a part of the downpipe touching something.

I've lost power due to the lowered compression. I was told I wouldn't need a boost controller on this occasion but yeah, I did need one!  

A smidgen under 400hp at 3psi. 0.4 bar roughly. Will increase to approx 1 to 1.2 bar on 13th September.

I need Adrian to message me reg; clutch!

You had us all crying in our cornflakes dude lol

Glad it wasn't more serious 

Oh, where do I start... :lol::lol:

1. So you lost my number, but did not think to PM me here or use the website to contact us?

2. You want to know "the builder" as if the builder would provide you warranty? :lol:  You've purchased from TORQEN, your warranty is with TORQEN.

3. That block is built for 650rwhp, unless you did something silly like running it without oil or it has been put together without gaskets etc the engine will be fine with your current turbo kit.

4. Clutch is ready, will be shipped tomorrow for next day delivery.

5. Anything else I forgot? :lol: 

P.S. Glad to hear the car is fine, enough with the bad luck and problems, time to enjoy it :)

• Like 1

I meant PM me on WhatsApp so that I have your number again! 

But yeah I should have messaged on here. Same with Ekona and Jay84 and HEADPHONES who I no longer have on my contact list :(

I haven't been on much, been working and making preparations for uni.

I'm not insinuating anything against you. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...