TV

ATTAK Z

Do you need a licence if you have a TV in your car ?

Just wonderin'

As long as you have a TV license for your home it will cover holiday homes, caravan and any portable devices like those in a car etc so no need for an additional license as you are already covered. At least that's what I understand from here anyway - http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/understanding-your-tv-licence-top3

You're required to purchase a TV licence.

The law can enforced in the same manner as having a TV in your front room without a licence; if they can prove it's capable of receiving live TV (whether used for that or not) they can take action by means of a fine.

In theory, the licensing people have a national database to tell if you've got a licence at all (I presume this would be difficult to check without DVLA information too), enforcement officers and detector vans.

In reality, it's the same as watching TV on your phone, computer, etc; unless you're unlucky and/or stupid enough to watch TV in front of an enforcement officer you're incredibly unlikely to actually be caught. I'm led to believe the detector vans can only ping a general area and aren't specific enough to be of any real use, but I have no idea how true this is (and only applies to TV through an aerial). TV through the internet, I presume, can be traced through IP addresses but I don't know if the licensing authority does that.

But how would anyone know that the car has a TV ?

If you buy a brand new TV then the sellers, for example Curry's, are obliged to inform the TV Licensing Authorities. I'm not sure exactly what a car TV consists of or where you buy one from but presumably the same thing happens. Our Jap Import MR2 had a TV fitted at some stage but it had been removed by the time we bought it, illegal to use in the front I think . If you plan on rigging up a freeview box to a SatNav , phone or Tablet inside the car then I guess that the signal emitted wouldn't be powerful enough to be detected by a Licensing van could be wrong on that though.

Pete

My car has an integrated entertainment system (including TV) from new ... there are no outward signs as far as I can see

In theory at least it's no different to a brand new TV , the authorities should be notified presumably by the dealer that sold the car. Second hand, well its up to you....Just don't get caught as its a DNA, Fingerprints and criminal record job :surrender:

Pete

• Like 1

Given that a TV inspector (sorry, 'enquiry officer') has zero right to enter a house, and can no longer just call the police to assist, I'd be telling them to politely FRO should a knock at the door happen.

They can get a search warrant, but I bet they won't because they'll find it bloody hard to impress upon a magistrate that it's worth it. I love this bit though, from the TV Licencing website:

What happens if there is no response to TV Licensing’s letters?

If no response is received from an address, the tone of the letters progressively becomes stronger to encourage a reply.

Oooh, terrifying! :lol:

• Like 2

My housemates and I got rumbled when I was a student. Lesson learned, always keep your living room curatins shut and never ever answer the door. He basically gave us a stern look and told us we should sort out a licence before he comes back, so we ate him :lol:

Not really. We bought one sharpish, it went on the database, he never came back. I think I would play the ignorance card on a car if I got caught (assuming you don't have one at home) and then buy one immediately, shows intent.

DON'T BREAK THE LAW KIDS, FOLLOWING THE RULES IS WHAT'S REALLY COOL.

My housemates and I got rumbled when I was a student. Lesson learned, always keep your living room curatins shut and never ever answer the door.

When I lived in Connah's Quay in the 70's I spotted a detector van right outside my house and guess what...I didn't have a license but lucky for me the TV was switched off. That very same day they caught 3 people on our housing estate and prosecuted them all. I know this because their names were in the local rag :) . They are as Ekona says more tolerant these days so you'll get several written warnings first.

Pete

I still have the news paper cutting that says they are still looking for me after they did all 4 of us in bedsits for not having a license, I left the bedsit and joined the army between being caught and going to court

:lol:

With the benefit of hindsight maybe I should have just stayed and paid the fine - at least they wouldn't have shot (at) me :scare:

Edited by Keyser
  • Like 2

As Buster would say - "During the war"

:lol:

I have plenty of war stories - some slightly taller than others ;)

I can't tell you them all of course as I would have to kill ya :lol:

Edited by Keyser
  • Like 1