Hydro handbrake install

Martin_t5r

Hi all, just wondering if anyone on here in uk has done one ?

After countless nights researching how to's, I have a basic knowledge and understanding of how it all works, there are a few different ways to do it, just wondering what methods people have preferred over here in U.K. as most thread are of American zed's.

Just want to get one on the car as easy and stress free as possible, understand that the abs pump works in an X formation, just wondering if something like Driftworks pre made lines are long enough and would work, without spending a fortune first! Didn't want to use copper as that looks abit bodged and knowing me I would end up damaging the pipes :) cheers

Martin

I thought these weren't allowed over here? MOT regs say they're not allowed, or at least, you can have one but you still need the cable one too, so what's the point?

http://www.ukmot.com/mot%20manual/index.asp?MOT_Section=Parking%20Brake%20Control&MOT_Number=3.1

Assuming you're talking about an MOT-able car as opposed to a track-schlag?

Edit: PS - Sorry, not very helpful I know :(

Edited by Commander

It's a track focussed car, doesn't go on road, much :).

The standard cable handbrake is made of chocolate, and even with project mu brake shoes in, after a day, it's back to being a load of pony. So going for a hydro, in-line, so both cable rear handbrake, and normal function of the rear brakes will also not be affected. Apart from the abs, which will have the plug pulled, but that's overated anyway :D

I thought these weren't allowed over here? MOT regs say they're not allowed, or at least, you can have one but you still need the cable one too, so what's the point?

http://www.ukmot.com...;MOT_Number=3.1

Assuming you're talking about an MOT-able car as opposed to a track-schlag?

Edit: PS - Sorry, not very helpful I know :(

Dedman runs one in his daily, not ileagal, might be illegal if you have JUST a hydro hand brake,

Matt runs both for drifting.

Thankyou for your reply, yeah I've found that guide, says to run line 1 to bmc, and line 2 to abs block, then swap 2 of the outlets around, do all Zeds have the same abs block though? I'm sure mine looks different to the one in the pics..

No, there are different abs blocks however the same principle applies.

Copper Kunifer is good and very easy to work with.

I have done around half a dozen of these with no issues.

Vosa has never been an issue ;)

Ah I see, when swapping the ports around so primary does fronts and secondary does rear, do you physically move/bend the oem pipes to relocate them in abs block or did you make a small copper 'bridging' pipe on each one to save doing that

Ps do you fancy doing another one :D

Edited by Martin_t5r

Bugger, you couldn't be much further away (Lowestoft suffolk) :( if you where closer, I'd definetly be coming to see you!

I guess will have a bash myself, next thing is figuring where to mount the hydro itself, not too fussed about making it immaculate hidden install, but don't want it to look like it's been thrown in the car either :)

Edited by Martin_t5r

Dual rear calliper setup anyone? I think this is more robust effective and looks cool. There are bolt on kits to use OEM brembo or JDM brakes and a seperate system hydro. I would consider this strongly and add a line lock if your car is a pure track car. You can get rid of the stoooopid hand brake and even delete the drums etc to save on unsprung weight.

Numerous threads on my350.com US on DIY if you prefer to make yours.

http://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-suspension/504240-dual-rear-calipers-ebrake.html

http://www.maverick-motorsports.com/products/z33-g35-dual-caliper-bracket