Can somebody tell me what a Zero Hours Contract is ?

WhackyWill

I have worked on contract for many agencies over the years as a Self Employed Contractor

with no guarantee of work next day never mine next month,

Can somebody tell me what is the difference between this and a Zero Hours Contract. :scare: :scare:

So why would they employ me then..No guarantee of work.. :scare: :scare:

I'm not sure what you're asking here mate?

Clearly a contract of this type is not aimed at you: It's aimed at minimum wage workers in cities, who will do pretty much anything at the lower end of the wage scale. Company A needs 10 people for a shift at Generic Fast Food Restaurant, they call 20 people the day before telling them to come in, 5 don't bother showing up but 15 do. They employ the first 10 to arrive, the other 5 get sent home.

• Like 2

So why would they employ me then..No guarantee of work.. :scare: :scare:

I'm not sure what you're asking here mate?

Clearly a contract of this type is not aimed at you: It's aimed at minimum wage workers in cities, who will do pretty much anything at the lower end of the wage scale. Company A needs 10 people for a shift at Generic Fast Food Restaurant, they call 20 people the day before telling them to come in, 5 don't bother showing up but 15 do. They employ the first 10 to arrive, the other 5 get sent home.

In that case why has every media made it such a Major Election issue. :scare:

Edited by WhackyWill

Generic Fast Food Restaurant

OK. But am I getting paid a retainer then awaiting your phone call for me start work

Have you got a job at McDonalds Will?

Edited by DoogyRev
  • Like 1

Generic Fast Food Restaurant

OK. But am I getting paid a retainer then awaiting your phone call for me start work

Well no not yet..but this is the bit I don't get...WHY IS ZERO HOURS CONTRACTS, such a Election issue

how may students who work at Mc D are really going to make a difference, it cannot be just that.. :scare: :scare:

Well no not yet..but this is the bit I don't get...WHY IS ZERO HOURS CONTRACTS, such a Election issue

how may students who work at Mc D are really going to make a difference, it cannot be just that.. :scare: :scare:

Don't worry about that zero hours bit, just think of the Burgers :snack:

. . perhaps they will pay in you chicken nuggets :lol:

It's an issue because Labour want to make it one.

They see them as awful for people as it guarantees the person zero income, which makes it hard to plan for a life. On the other hand, the Tories see them as helpful as they allow people a chance to get at least some work rather than claim 100% of the JSA.

No right or wrong answer, it depends on which side of the fence you sit on. Personally I don't see the harm, but I guess if I was reliant on them then it may make it harder for me to start a proper life. Of course, if that were the case I'd go and do something about it like make myself more employable, but some people would rather blame every one else for their problems.

• Like 3

It was a Labour Idea! So companies took people on without long term commitment it got the unemployed numbers down statistically

Now as with most things the party that thought it up thinks it is a bad idea and uses it against the government in the election!

Politics eh?

It was a Labour Idea! So companies took people on without long term commitment it got the unemployed numbers down statistically

Now as with most things the party that thought it up thinks it is a bad idea and uses it against the government in the election!

Politics eh?

Ha, no one would believe you in "real life" would they?

It's not just aimed at unskilled staff. It is also rife in the TEFL/ESOL industry where you have highly skilled grammarians and linguists who'll work on zero hour contracts. As already stated, there is work but your employer can drop you like a bad habit if they want to without any concerns of legal action of unfair dismissal on the part of the employee.

Which they can do in the first two years anyway. If you're still on a zero hours contract after two years with the same company, you need to be re-evaluating your life choices IMHO.

True, but perhaps some people don't have that choice :shrug: Either way, it definitely needs to be dealt with.

• Like 1

They do have a choice, two years is plenty to get off your arse and get some quals, or move to a company that has better prospects, especially if you're in the sectors you mentioned.

I'm not so sure anything needs to be done at all. If the market wants them, then they should stay. If they're not needed, they'll die off on their own. To restrict the market and take away a legitimate method of employing folks at a time where the economy is just starting to get back on its feet is self-defeating.

How is it exploiting them?

Without a zero contract, they can't get any work. With one, they have a chance at work. I'd say a chance is better than nothing. As the economy improves, this type of contract will be used less as the demand for labour improves.