OEM Gear Knob Removal - Stuck!

iwanprice12

Hi,

I've read and searched the various guides on here to remove the gear knob, but I'm having no luck whatsoever in removing it!!! I have followed the method of mole grips on the rubber gaiter (with a cloth/material between the grips and the gaiter) with water pump pliers on the gear knob itself (with a cloth/material inbetween).

I have tried to remove the gear knob but it seems that the plastic is 'stretching' and the knob itself is splitting? Is there anyway of removing the gear knob in one piece, or am I resigned to breaking it upon removal? The interior is in bits at the mo with the gear knob and gear pattern facing anti clockwise!

Any advice welcome.

Thanks

More muscle and try not to give yourself a black eye!

Ha! Managed to get the knob off with some help from my neighbour! (Oohh eer!)

Looks slightly second hand now! Bought a 'Nismo style' shifter from tarmac, doesn't seem to have a thread so stuck on installing that now!

More muscle and try not to give yourself a black eye!

Ha! Managed to get the knob off with some help from my neighbour! (Oohh eer!)

Looks slightly second hand now! Bought a 'Nismo style' shifter from tarmac, doesn't seem to have a thread so stuck on installing that now!

Was it a Nismo look-a-like? Guessing it should have some sort of plastic insert that is threaded. Mine has.

I did struggle getting mine removed. Try tighten it a little bit before loosening it. I ended up damaging the original knob (not too bothered) and managed to get it off.

Check out my build thread (link in my signature below) for tools that i've used.

• Like 1