Brillo and Ken's new track car - Last few months

Well after much deliberation I've decided to go it alone with track cars... its been a great couple of years with Ken but the direction we each want to go with a track car is starting to differ. And the fact that we were without a car seemed like a good time to part ways.

So, I have gone and bought myself another(!) BMW 328i (number 5!) for the low low price of £650. it will of course be stripped out as much as is sensible, brakepad and fluid upgrade, reusing the wheels and tyres from the old car, and then at some point a set of cheap coilovers.

whilst I have bought the car on my own, my intention is not to go on trackdays on my own - I have a few friends from work who would come along, and also a couple of people from this forum who would be interested in doing a trackday or two, and now that I have full control of the car its entirely at my discretion who I allow to drive the car and when, and I alone bear the risk of someone binning my car. Hopefully will work out ok, but only time will tell. I figure at the price I paid I need to get 6 trackdays out of it to break even, which is about consistent with how long the previous cars have lasted!

I believe Ken is thinking of getting something more expensive than me, i'm still all about keeping it cheap. Also Ken has a few other commitments coming up, so might be looking for a car next year sometime, whereas I knew I wanted to get back into trackdays and would have the funds available now.

And also I am keen to take a few other people out in a car, which obviously ken didn't want to fork out half of the cost of ownership, tax and insurance for someone else to be using the car, so if I go it alone I can decide whether I want to charge my mates a usage fee for the car or not, that kinda thing.

Plus no offence to Ken but I also fancied a bit of a change, we've done nearly all the tracks in the UK in a beemer now so there isn't a lot more to do, but with my new car I can take people out who have never done track driving before, so it'll be like starting afresh again.

there is a bit of risk involved on my part that I take someone out who then crashes the car, but I trust all my friends to make a contribution to repair or replacement costs if that does happen - although in 25 trackdays we've only hit something once, and that would have likely been prevented by decent tyres which we now have, and traction control, which I can keep on when a novice is driving the car.

Edited by brillomaster

• 2 weeks later...

I believe Ken is thinking of getting something more expensive than me, i'm still all about keeping it cheap. Also Ken has a few other commitments coming up, so might be looking for a car next year sometime, whereas I knew I wanted to get back into trackdays and would have the funds available now.

And also I am keen to take a few other people out in a car, which obviously ken didn't want to fork out half of the cost of ownership, tax and insurance for someone else to be using the car, so if I go it alone I can decide whether I want to charge my mates a usage fee for the car or not, that kinda thing.

Plus no offence to Ken but I also fancied a bit of a change, we've done nearly all the tracks in the UK in a beemer now so there isn't a lot more to do, but with my new car I can take people out who have never done track driving before, so it'll be like starting afresh again.

there is a bit of risk involved on my part that I take someone out who then crashes the car, but I trust all my friends to make a contribution to repair or replacement costs if that does happen - although in 25 trackdays we've only hit something once, and that would have likely been prevented by decent tyres which we now have, and traction control, which I can keep on when a novice is driving the car.

Any progress mate? when's the next track day :teeth: I’m looking to get something booked ASAP just fancied something different than Oulton wondering if you had anything planned.

oh progress definitely made mate! car is 80% stripped, its getting serviced on thursday, have collected the old wheels and tyres and other trackday stuff from Ken. planning on booking the first trackday (which will be more of a shakedown to test the limitations of standard brakes and tyres) at Blyton Park on 14th August with Javelin.

if you haven't driven Blyton its a nice little track, EVO magazine use it for a lot of video tests these days. It doesn't take long to learn, actually your zed might feel a little big going round, but hey, its a summer weekend trackday for £129 at the moment.

then my plans for the rest of the year are Blyton again in September, Donny in October, oulton park in November, and cadwell in December.

• 1 month later...

Well had a slight setback whilst doing test runs with the new beemer... cracked a radiator on the way into work, cue overheating engine, 4 hour wait for a tow truck, and £200 bill for a new radiator. Which unfortunately means I didn't have the funds to do Blyton Park in August.

Still, car is now fixed, and I've taken out as much as I can without really getting into it or spending any money. At some point I hope to replace the rear exhaust backbox with a straight pipe, and remove the entire sunroof assembly and rivet on a lightweight ally panel in its place, but they aren't urgent.

But the rest of the car is feeling good - has good direction change, but suspension is somewhat floaty at the moment - and there is a delay between turning the steering wheel and the car actually turning - suspect high sidewalls might be the culprit there.

But will be booking both Blyton in September and Donington in October when I get paid at the end of this month.

• Like 1