Apple watch

tatooandy67

Did anyone else see the Apple watch unveil yesterday, I've been following the Internet rumours regarding price and features for some time now and it was officially unveiled yesterday, going to be available in uk from 24th April (just in time for my birthday, so better be extra nice to her indoors) :yahoo:

They seem a bit pricey for what they are but I'm completely caught up in the hype surrounding this and can't wait to get my hands on one :yahoo:

Is anyone else a fan of these or is it just me

I'm a full-on, self-confessed Apple iWhore, and yet I'm not as excited about this as I was on launch.

Prices are about right as it's a premium product, but I'm not seeing the killer app for this yet. Heart rate monitor is good as those things are expensive anyway, and the NFC stuff to open hotel room doors and buy things is cool but nowhere near ready for over here yet. 18 hours typical usage is good but what's typical?

I'd want the stainless 42mm one, but that's £500 (ish) and there's a lot of competition for my money for a watch at that price. I don't know if I need a smartwatch just yet, not on what I've seen so far.

Like any smartwatch, it will work standalone

Woah, hold on there! Got that wrong.

They've changed it now, you MUST have an iPhone 5 or newer running 8.2 at the minimum. I suspect it will work if you leave your phone at home or it runs out of juice, but requires one for setup or app data transfer.

Edited by Ekona

I particularly like the stainless steel with the Milanese loop, I really really want (need) this in my life

Possibly my life will not be improved enough by it to justify the price tag and I could probably continue to live without it but I just MUST have one :yahoo: I'm like an over excited child with this watch and can't wait to get my hands on one

I have followed a lot of the hype too. I love a gadget, but I still don't see the point in a smart watch.

To be fair I don't ever wear a normal watch so don't think I could ever be converted. Is it really something we need?

I'm gutted they didn't announce the iPad pro. I really want one of those!

I guess it could be one of those things like the original iPhone, in that you never really saw the point of having one as your normal phone did everything you need, but now you couldn't imagine not having a smartphone.

If anyone can make a smartwatch popular, it's Apple. If this doesn't take off, then the idea is dead forever. As much as I love my gadgets, I genuinely think I'm going to wait this one out and see what they're actually like to use first.

Tad pricy aren't they? The Sport version isn't too bad at £300, but £180 more because it's made form SS and a different scratch resistant glass?

The straps are stupid prices too if, like me, you're not a fan of the rubber stuff. I haven't got UK price ATM but you're talking $50 for a different coloured rubber version, $250 for leather and a whopping $500 for metal, which may or may not be SS. I'm also pretty sure these prices will translate £ for $ too.

The Edition version is a pure joke, not only is £8000 for a 'smart' watch ridiculous, but £5000 extra on top of that for a different strap with a few grams extra gold :lol:

All they need is a few of the right celebs daft enough to spend £13000 on a gold one and pow these could take off irrespective of if they are useful or not.

For me they are just not a big enough step change from a phone - I it was hard to see why a tablet could succeed many years ago when they launched but they were enough of a step change from a laptop (size, weight, touchscreen) the watch though I just cant see what tangible benefits there are at the moment that step it away from a phone.

Prices are up on the UK store, if you want to see them. Not quite $ for £, thankfully.

I was thinking about this earlier, and I suspect that the most common use is actually the least exciting. When you work with your hands a lot in construction, or any skilled labour job really, often you feel your phone vibrate in your jacket pocket and have to decide whether to try and stop what you're doing to answer it, or ignore it and hope it's not important. With a watch you can simply glance at your wrist and decide immediately whether it's important or not, and choose to answer it with a quick "I'm busy, call you back in 5!" if you need to. That alone could be worth the entrance fee.

The £££ ones are for the elite, and they're priced exactly where they should be.

Prices are up on the UK store, if you want to see them. Not quite $ for £, thankfully.

I was thinking about this earlier, and I suspect that the most common use is actually the least exciting. When you work with your hands a lot in construction, or any skilled labour job really, often you feel your phone vibrate in your jacket pocket and have to decide whether to try and stop what you're doing to answer it, or ignore it and hope it's not important. With a watch you can simply glance at your wrist and decide immediately whether it's important or not, and choose to answer it with a quick "I'm busy, call you back in 5!" if you need to. That alone could be worth the entrance fee.

The £££ ones are for the elite, and they're priced exactly where they should be.

Cant imagine anyone in skilled labour would want one unless it had a rubber casing and shock proofing - its a lot of £££ even at the lower end of the scale to risk bashing it on something whilst working.

• Like 1

Dear Great Unwashed,

The top-of-the-line Apple Watch Edition, in gorgeous 18-karat gold, rose or yellow, that Apple’s brilliant metallurgists have developed to be up to twice as hard as standard gold, with an stunning display protected by polished sapphire crystal and your choice of Modern Buckle band in either Bright Red or Rose Gray costs $17,000.00.

There was and there continues to be much gnashing of teeth and rending of garments on the Web over that price from people who are, to be blunt, too poor to afford such an exquisite timepiece. If you’re among the whining rabble, please stop! It’s unbecoming. Aren’t you embarrassed? In place of your so-called outrage, you might as well just type, “Hey, look at me! I’m too poor to afford such a watch.†Here’s a fact: If you’re outraged, you’re not in the Apple Watch Edition’s target market. You’re not even in the target’s market’s area code. And, very, very likely, you’re a disgruntled Android settler who can now finally see the writing on the wall. You need to shut up and accept your standing among the proles while you work to get into the Apple Watch Edition target market. Either way, Apple makes Apple Watches for you, too, and they start at only $349!

The Piaget Gouverneur watch retails for $51,500. Just looking at it in person will take your breath away. I’m serious. You’ll gasp for air. The Piaget Altiplano cufflinks that nicely complement the Gouverneur cost a mere $4,400. Yes, they’re quite stunning, too. So, where are the maudlin tweets of indignance directed at Piaget for not offering the hoi polloi an aluminum option with a rubber strap for a mere $349? I searched Twitter: Not a single tweet.

Most of those who will buy Apple Watch Edition units will barely glance at the price, if they even bother. That $17,000 might as well be 17-cents to them. These are monied people and, guess what, there are many, many, many of them around the world.

Apple is brilliant. These gorgeous 18-karat gold Apple Watch Editions will begin showing up on the wrists of celebrities, famous athletes, and captains of industry very soon. And they will influence the rest of the world to lust after Apple Watch, too. And, here’s more Apple brilliance, unlike a Piaget, your average Joe and Jane Riffraff will actually be able to partake in the same exact user experience with the Apple Watch and Apple Watch Sport. Okay, so you put up with the aluminum or the stainless. Is that so bad? Listen, rabble, the point is that this thing is going to catch fire!

So, cut your undignified grousing. Stop worrying about the Apple Watch Edition that you oh-so-obviously can’t afford, upgrade that fragmandroid POS to a real iPhone, and start picking out the Apple Watch that you can afford because you’re not going to want to miss this. You’re going to want to be a part of this because this is going to be big! Very, very big!

Sincerely,

SteveJack (future Apple Watch Sport owner and damn proud of it!)

http://macdailynews.com/2015/03/09/incensed-over-the-17000-apple-watch-edition-you-must-be-poor/

• Like 1

Like any smartwatch, it will work standalone

Woah, hold on there! Got that wrong.

They've changed it now, you MUST have an iPhone 5 or newer running 8.2 at the minimum. I suspect it will work if you leave your phone at home or it runs out of juice, but requires one for setup or app data transfer.

True.

2015-03-10_12-38-38.jpeg