Andy James 2015 sprint/hill climb/track day season

Camera is already charged - if it rains I'll just drive underneath you :p

Fingers crossed for a dry day though so I can get the slicks on and chase down that supercharged monster of yours :thumbs:

I have to say that slicks are banned!! Lol.

Looking forward to seeing how well that thing corners mate.

Chris and Kim (Kyser,Radical)and I will be at Castle Coombe this coming Monday for an afternoon trackday.

Should be interesting and hopefully the weather will be kind to the roofless one! Lol.

I have read that a large part of the track has been re surfaced so maybe it's not quite so bumpy at high speed.

Recon some high speed video footage could be in order!

The track is a lot smoother now Andy and provides some excellent grip levels imo.

Hope you enjoy the track day. ;)

Awesome day out with the boys (and girl)

Harryjax, Jetpilot and Andy James - we had great fun.

We answered the long debated question of SC 350z Andy's beast V Radical

He has me on straight line speed especially after about 80mph

I can't pass him on track as I I loose the corner speed advantage out of the bends and again his power on the straights is awesome.

BUT - If I get in front then .....

OK First time it was his tyres went off so he had to come in

Second time it was "I got caught in traffic"

Third time he came clean he can't catch me :p

Jetpilot was putting in some cracking laps and despite having an NA Zed was doing a great job - except for the wheel wobble - I think a local tyre fitter is about to get strung up :scare:

Harryjax popped his cherry in a mates car and seemed to be having a great day out.

Mrs Keyer had her first go on a race track and her first time driving the Radical - she got it up to 104mph over Avon Rise - not bad for a first attempt :thumbs::scare:

On the last session of the day I was desperately trying to lap Andy (I doubt it would happen but gotta try)

The attempt was looking good until I changed down coming into Quarries and had no engine braking - in fact I had no gears :scare:

Suspect a broken drive shaft but won't know for sure until I strip it down and have a look - just hope it isn't the quaife diff as they are £5k a time :scare:

O and when I blew her up they red flagged the session and I got towed in - how embarrassing :lol:

Videos as soon as I get a chance to sort them out for you :thumbs:

As I said - GREAT DAY OUT

Thanks all :)

Edited by Keyser
  • Like 3

^^ Sounds great mate and can't wait for some videos. :yahoo:

Would be interested to know what speed Andy reached on the straight just before Avon Rise/Quarry though if you know or he does (just for a comparison of my Zed). :)

The one time I managed to look I was doing 128-130mph just before hitting the brakes for Avon Rise. Not necessarily my top speed achieved though as I know I went faster going into Avon Rise/Quarry towards the end laps but I was concentrating on my braking point far to much to be looking at the speedo then. ;)

Still grinning, enough said :) and thanks for tools, what is the torque setting for beating the tyre fitter ;)

Andy mentioned 135+ i think Gm, i was about 115-120.

Cheers Jetpilot. ;)

You don't need a torque setting for beating a tyre fitter, ...just a big breaker bar. :teeth:

What a good afternoon chaps!

I have to concede that after wringing every last ounce out of my old Datsun (touching 140 up to Quarry) I just couldn't keep up with Chris on the twisties! That Radical handles and has a level of grip I can only dream of!

It was a good test for the pilot ss tyres as was unsure what level of grip they would give me compared to my 888rs on the Rays.

Very dissapointed with them to start but they just got better and better as the afternoon when on.

jetpilot ( impressed with your driving mate!)made a valid comment that as they are so new they needed a few heat cycles to bed them in.

Nice to see Kim driving the Radical today and seeing Harryjax hustling the big Peugeot round the track!

Also you never know who you might meet at a trackday.

This rather well spoken chap in his mid 60s came up to me before my last run and commented on how nice my car sounded and said" you drive the socks off that thing ". He was giving lessons in a new jaguar F-type R convertible for a well healed couple that had hired him for the day!

After a ten minute chat in which he told me how he competed at Le Mans and drives a D type for JCB ( bamford) he told me his name was Wiilie Green.

GT 40,Ferrari,chevron,ginetta,Porsche,Aston Martin are a few cars he has raced!

• Like 5

Good to see you guys today.

And as Chris has already said.

I popped my cherry today on track along with Kim.

So not many can say that they lost their virginity with Kim ;)

Sorry Chris she loves me more. :)

Enjoy japfest.

• Like 4

Cracking video Chris and love the soundtrack!

Two very different cars both capable of putting a smile on your face and getting your ticker pumping!!

Let's see if we can organise another group for the August session.

Cracking video Chris and love the soundtrack!

Two very different cars both capable of putting a smile on your face and getting your ticker pumping!!

Let's see if we can organise another group for the August session.

+1 to that mate :thumbs:

Mrs Keyser said you wanted to know what you sounded like on track so she took a quick vid on the iphone for you,

Me first but masked by the BMW you are at about 30 seconds and Jetpilot at 55 seconds in.

• Like 1

National A meeting at Gurston Down this weekend.

Practice runs sat and sun morning, event on Sunday afternoon.

I have been playing around with tyre pressures and damper settings over the last couple of weeks and I think the car is handling better than ever as I found out at japfest on sat.

Hope the weather holds so I can see if I can better my best time.

I will post some pics and video.

• Like 1

Hi guys and girls.

It was a national A meeting at Gurston Down Sat and Sun.

The engine seems to be loosening up more since the re build and have noticed a significant increase in power especially at Japfest last week!

Normally on the uphill drag to the finish line at Gurston I leave her in third and bounce off the rev limiter for the last 50 yards or so as it's a waste of time snatch fourth.

On sat she got going so well on that stretch I found myself needing to change up to fourth as I was 150 yards short of line but it wasn't far enough to get going in the higher ratio so I found myself in a gearing dilemma!

Got chatting to Simon the nutter EVO driver and he casually said "don't suppose you have any smaller tyres to lower the gearing"?

By luck in the garage at home I had a spare pair of 245/40s which I run on the fronts and swapped them over for the 275/40 pair I run on the back just before Xchurch tyres closed sat eve!

As you can see from the video of my fastest run on Sunday I'm changing into fourth way before the Finnish line and still accelerating as the gearing has been changed quite dramatically.

4a889f6a2babed2b76443afecf142917_zpsxgh6h0eb.jpg

5f1597d094ce5815cd2bf9ffb0f80deb_zps24ucpqpd.jpg

d6ad644b2ea7851714b3141169114740_zpsxz7vhhc0.jpg

684c3e3e969ef7e588db10d7c40b0607_zpscgpte0ol.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks chaps.

Since I went to Castle Combe for a track day and then japfest the engine seems to have stepped up a gear,maybe some of the woolly stuff has blown out of the Miltek to allow her to breath more! Lol

Just wanted to put up the forthcoming events which i have entered.

1.Eagle sprint at Goodwood circuit on the 1st August.

2 laps of the track from a standing start with no tyre warming!(will be going easy on the first corner!) lol

I've been to Goodwood many times over the past 20 years and I have to say its probably the fastest and technically challenging circuit in the uk.

2.15/16 August at Shelsley Walsh for the round of the MSA British Hill climb championship.

Practice on sat event on Sunday.

Looking to better my time here as it was my first time and the track was not fully dry.

• 3 weeks later...