gauges that will fit in the oem holders

nissanman312

hi guys as some of may have noticed im going with the stillen kit for my 370

i realy dont want aftermarket gauges but think id be daft not to keep an eye on things! so if ive got to have them im looking for somthing that will fit nice on the dash and blend in colour wise

any sugestions?

I would say you'd probably be wanting to look at Defi gauges. ;)

Quick google search turned this up...

4277263374_3da094a849_b.jpg

Source: http://www.the370z.com/members/fusznissan-albums-370z-tt-picture14424-custom-defi-gauges-exit-temp-boost-oil-temp.html

Oh my give me a minute lol

there awesome good colour match a aswell

Was hoping to do it via obd but not giving me oil pressure and afr

I've never been a fan of gauges. Here are my thoughts: I'm not sure you need gauges with the Stillen SC. It is a pretty well sorted kit. Remember that there is a linear relationship between boost and engine speed, so it is not like there's the issue of boost control from a wayward turbo. Check your levels, change your oil on time, and drive with mechanical sympathy (don't thrash it till its hot) and you'll be fine. There's an oil temp gauge already. The rest is distraction/navel gazing that's as bad as using your phone/satnav whilst driving.

Let me qualify that: 1) With that said I did also wonder the same things and get an OBDII monitor and various apps to look at the data, which is mostly crap. You need a CONSULT-III to get into the real detail or some other scan tool. 2) I trust my tuners and listen to my car, so if something is up I will talk to them.

Am I wrong? It's my opinion but I'm all ears to learn more if you disagree!

• Like 1

I've never been a fan of gauges. Here are my thoughts: I'm not sure you need gauges with the Stillen SC. It is a pretty well sorted kit. Remember that there is a linear relationship between boost and engine speed, so it is not like there's the issue of boost control from a wayward turbo. Check your levels, change your oil on time, and drive with mechanical sympathy (don't thrash it till its hot) and you'll be fine. There's an oil temp gauge already. The rest is distraction/navel gazing that's as bad as using your phone/satnav whilst driving.

Let me qualify that: 1) With that said I did also wonder the same things and get an OBDII monitor and various apps to look at the data, which is mostly crap. You need a CONSULT-III to get into the real detail or some other scan tool. 2) I trust my tuners and listen to my car, so if something is up I will talk to them.

Am I wrong? It's my opinion but I'm all ears to learn more if you disagree!

Good points dom Im not a fan myself it doesn't fit in with the stealthy look

Sure I could house an oil pressure somewhere out the way just for peace of mind

Edited by nissanman312

Yeah my mate said to me oil pressure is a good one which is an easy one, just come off the sandwich plate.I'm sure I can hide that some where the 370z had temp

Afr is a funny one because it moves around a lot you kind of need to know what your looking at anyway, which I don't :)

Oil pressure, oil temp, and boost pressure are the ones you really want as gauges. You want them as simple and plain as possible: Defi ones look pretty, but are not particularly easy to glance over at and work out if there's anything wrong. The gauges shown in the R32 pic are perfect, as they're clean and clear. Plain background, plain font, big red needle.

Things like AFR, EGT etc are nice to have, but really you just want them wired to a single red light that flashes if there is something wrong. In a perfect world of course, really no-one need bother.

Don't see the point in a boost gauge on a supercharged car .... As if it's mapped right you should have to worry about the boost .

I tend to agree, but you'll be able to see if it's making constant boost at the very least which can be just as helpful. That's the easiest one of the lot to run, too.

I use AEM gauges which have a digital number as well as an LED needle which make for easy viewing, they're 56 mm (iirc) instead of 60mm so you'll have to make sure you buy the right pod holders for them. Not sure what size the OEM gauges are but nothing Google couldn't solve.

P1030807_zpsf8b1cc82.jpg

Edited by mouthwash

You want them as simple and plain as possible: Defi ones look pretty, but are not particularly easy to glance over at and work out if there's anything wrong. The gauges shown in the R32 pic are perfect, as they're clean and clear. Plain background, plain font, big red needle.

I was beginning to think I'd never say this but; I disagree with you, Dan. :lol: Aside from never having a problem reading my Defi's, it really doesn't take long at all to become accustomed to where the needle should be pointing on the face at any given input - even if you don't read the actual numbers it's easy enough to see whether the needle is in the right sort of area, and that's all you need from a glance.

That said, mine are a blue illumination with a red needle and it's just occurred to me that you might have meant specifically those Defi's above, which might be a different matter, but I've typed all that out now so I'm posting it anyway. :p

Also, I might be biased because I own/am selling a set of Defi's, so make of that what you will. :D

It's what your eyes get used to, but as a general rule I'd always say that a quality basic dial is easier to read than a fancy one: They just don't look as good! :lol:

I did mean those Defis above, and yeah as long as there's a clear distinction between colours that's easy to read then that's just as good in my book. So you can go back to agreeing with me now :D

I once ran the hellishly expensive Spa ones that had two digital readouts per dial: They looked fabulous, but were completely useless when you got moving as the eye can't read numbers as quickly as it can tell where a needle is pointing. Expensive mistake, that one.

• Like 1