Lexus IS300H....UPDATED - 400miles done :D

gangzoom

*********updated the post, 400 miles and 10 days in************Post 11**********

So after waiting nearly 3 months the replacement to our trusty Civic has arrived…It’s a Lexus IS300H Premier. Electric every thing, internet access, pre-crash braking, surround sound, memory seats, reversing camera and best of all the hybrid drivetrain…All of a sudden my BMW 335i seems very very outdate. I think me and the wife will be fighting for the keys to the Lexus :lol:.

Did 70 miles today, mixture of M ways (80 mph cruising) and city traffic, fuel gauge hardly moved, computer reporting 47mpg, range of 630 miles...So just a bit better than the 25mpg and 300 miles range I'm currently getting in the 335i :teeth:. The apparently engine doesn't fully loosen up till 8000 miles, and real world mpg should be around 50-55.

Need to give the car a coat of hard sealant, and get some miles in loosen up the engine, but so far 100% happy we choose the Lexus over the Jag XE, Merc C class. They had a nice GS450H in the show room...I'm not quite yet ready to let my 335i go, but the driving around in EV mode around town in the IS really is a surreal experience that I could get use to 100% of the time!!

16682382341_8fd5065a9b_z.jpg

16682695712_21f19bc9bd_z.jpg

16063708933_d13d2b6222_z.jpg

16682361891_d11afbd668_z.jpg

16061335794_61d3470fb9_z.jpg

16682309841_d91beb01d3_z.jpg

16496202030_53b1866a73_z.jpg

Edited by gangzoom
  • Like 2

Looks very nice. B)

Although this made me smirk... :D

"pre-crash braking"

No sense braking after the crash. :lol:

I told my parent in laws about the automatic braking....the first thing my mother in law asked when slowing down for a set of traffic lights, was 'Is your foot on the brake' :lol: ...I can sort of see her logic, but had to explain the whole point was to try and avoid an accident, not cause one :)

The engine bay is pretty packed!! I thought I take a quick pic, doubt it'll be this clean ever again.

16683640921_545ce8e301_z.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So had a morning free today, and the sun was out, so had a little ‘play’ with my SJ4000 camera and the IS300H

Did a quick video of the IS300H, in Sport mode, 0-60mph.

Not the most accurate test, but it’s around 8 seconds in the real world, given how easy it is to launch, it’s pretty much the same as a BMW 320D, which is the standard setting car in this class.

What surprised me was the ‘in-gear’ performance, 50-70mph is pretty rapid, and certainly meets if not beat ‘quoted’ times for the 320D…

I also did a quick blast around the local B roads, and as you can see the road handling of the IS300H is fab, slightly short on steering feel, but leagues better than the Civic. Though the engine noise isn’t great, and the ‘fake’ engine noise generator is even worse, but you can tell the chassis of the IS has been set-up well. And dare I say it, comparing unmodified to unmodified, the IS300H's handling/ride is more fun and more compliant than my E90 BMW 335i!! :) It's just a shame Lexus haven't don't sell the IS350 here in the UK, because when paired up to a proper power train, I think the IS will be very hard to beat...

Also gave the car a little wash...Scrubs up well.

16744847985_968027eb3f_c.jpg

16538670517_77f3ff08c8_c.jpg

Worked out how to display nav info on the dash...Not quite a HUD or Audi TT style digital dash, still not too bad :)

16108404304_05f46927e4_c.jpg

Engine still needs loosening up, but cannot complain about MPG reading so far :)

16108428694_a303907ff8_c.jpg

I have been running an IS300h for a year and 15000 miles and it is categorically the best "everyday" car I have owned, for my needs. Recent, previous everyday cars include Mercedes, VW, and Audi. Average mpg is 50.2 on petrol which equates to around 55mpg on diesel with the price difference. I agree that the handling is really sharp (Alex Wurz was involved), the build quality is superb (the Audi had more rattles than my Morgan in spite of Ingolstadt's PR smoke and mirrors). Unfortunately, the silence in which the IS covers the ground rather shows up the Achilles heel of the Z !

• Like 1

Fantastic looking thing and you picked one of the best colours! (wheels could be bigger lol). Everytime I see one I think....what a damn good lookin' car. Much better than 3 series by a mile.

I have been running an IS300h for a year and 15000 miles and it is categorically the best "everyday" car I have owned, for my needs. Recent, previous everyday cars include Mercedes, VW, and Audi. Average mpg is 50.2 on petrol which equates to around 55mpg on diesel with the price difference. I agree that the handling is really sharp (Alex Wurz was involved), the build quality is superb (the Audi had more rattles than my Morgan in spite of Ingolstadt's PR smoke and mirrors). Unfortunately, the silence in which the IS covers the ground rather shows up the Achilles heel of the Z !

Have to agree with this comment, maybe it’s just me getting old, but I’m loving the noise or more specific (lack of noise). Really loving this car, me and the wife are fighting for the keys….Feel sorry for the BMW, it's pretty much a static object on the drive these days :surrender:

So just did a 100 mile trip down to London today to see the parents. Despite it only been 7 degrees outside, and engine still new getting decent mpg even on M way runs...

After 90 miles on the motorway

16191232893_6f2f949a62_c.jpg

Than came 5 miles of been stuck in standstill traffic in North London, and the IS300H’s party trick (Full EV mode) saw the mpg IMPROVE :lol:

16623601088_f80b3bde7e_c.jpg

Overall mpg is improving with every trip…come the summer, and the engine loosened up I wouldn’t be surprised if it’ll hit 60mpg :)

16623601258_ab8ba4c503_c.jpg

Also found the most unless feature…Google Street view on the sat nav screen, I thought it was cool, my wife said ‘what’s wrong with just looking out of the window'

16603902707_0e1e2744d7_c.jpg

Edited by gangzoom

I really do think hybrid/EV cars are the going to take over.

But I still rather take the 335i on a lovely Sunday morning for a B road blast....

So the only affordable hybrids that offer similar power to the BMW is the Lexus GS450h or the Infiniti Q50 Hybrid.

The GS450h is a older design than the IS300h, and just didn't appeal, but the Q50 hybrid is very interesting....

It's got rubbish reviews from the press, mainly for its fly-by-wire steering but looking at AutoTrader there's a about 12 014 plate cars with 5k on the clock for sale, presumably all demo cars and on for £30-35k. That's £10-15k less than list price, add in the fact according to howmanyleft.com, Infiniti sold less than 30 Q50 hybrids, dealers must be desperate to get rid....so I see more discounts :)

So potentially I reckon I could sell my BMW 335i for £12k?...and easily get another 10-15% off the marked price on the demo Q50s, meaning cost to change from my 7 year old car to a brand new £45k machine would be under £20k......

Humm I feel a test drive in a Q50 hybrid coming up :)

Edited by gangzoom
  • Like 1

That's the thing for me, looking over all the excitement about mpg: Sure, as an everyday car to get from home to work to the MiL at the weekend, a hybrid saloon is a good idea. As a thing that I want to look forward to driving I just can't get excited about them, unless you spend £££ and do it 918 style.

Also, top work on the man maths for the Q50 :lol:

• 3 months later...

Just had one of these for work for the weekend, only manage to put 400 miles into her but very pleasant indeed. Not driven a hybrid nor a Lexus before, so was quite pleased to get it over the BMW 320D. Super easy to cruise on the motorway and the stealth levels over the Zed mean I may have even troubled a speed camera (fingers crossed I didn't), as it climbs up to speed very easily once your on the move. Felt a bit hefty off the m-way, but I guess they got to fit a few laptop batteries in there somewhere. Coped well with a load of rubbish that had to go to the tip, which stood no chance of making my zed all filthy :lol:

I've had my eye on the prices of hybrid Infinitis for a while, so this gave me a little taster of that world. I was super excited about having both the motor and the engine hurling me forward in sport mode, but it wasn't as exciting as I'd hoped. I wanted it to make my knickers wet but it never happened. I wanted to play flappy paddles, but it just overuled my commands, so I gave up quite quickly. Got 48mpg with 90% motorway cruising, not exactly diesel territory but I'd take the hit for the increased refinement personally.

Astonishingly easy to drive around, particularly if you are crunching miles. Quiet, comfortable, very nicely equipped (though the satnav map is something from a ZX81) the dash plastics had taken a bit of beating in mine, but it was a rental. I love the "hand" brake down in the footwell, makes perfect sense there. I can't see past an auto in the next car, I love the stamp and go launch.

img.jpg_zpsaj4i6lhm.png

Edited by SuperStu
  • Like 1

The IS is really good for covering long distances in comfort, our has adaptive cruise control/emergency braking so on the M-ways you literally don't have to do anything but the occasional steering input, spent 3 hrs a few weekends ago covering some 80 miles of the M1 and than 40 miles been stuck in London rush hour traffic, didn't even feel tired at the end, to top it off it the mpg computer was reading close to 70!! :)

But the delay between you pressing throttle and the car shifting isn't great when your really trying to push on, but it's not that type of car...If you want to feel an EV motor shoving you along at full power from 0 rpm, your need to try a proper EV...But there's a thread on that already :lol:

18009066378_6a3a71e609_c.jpg

Edited by gangzoom

There's an awful lot to like, I can see why you're very pleased with it. Looks a bit more special than everything else in its class too, IMHO.

My wife is very pleased with the IS - worth the price tag, I've tried to convince her to swap it for Tesla Model S....She told me where to go....She's probably the only one on earth I wouldn't try to convince about EVs :lol:

We'll be keeping ours a long while yet, at-least with these hybrids there are no modding options, so nothing for me to waste money on :)