350z Ebay Finds

-Bradders-

What needs done exactly to get them UK road legal?

I have no idea about the exact projectors Depo headlights use, but you'd need to open them up (either in oven or with heatgun). You'd then need to take the HID projector apart and change the cut off shield. If it's a flat shield you could probably just turn it around and reuse it like I did in my build thread, but if it's a curved shield you'd probably need to make a custom shield.

If you're thinking about doing it yourself, I'd recommend you check out https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/ , lots of useful info there. :)

I think they'll never technically be road legal though, as I don't think they have self-leveling motors? Also from what I've seen, aren't most aftermarket headlights dot-approved (no idea if it's legit) but not e-marked and we need the latter?

I don't think the above would stop me, but my finances do :lol:

What's the worst case if I was to buy em and install them the way the are?

Assuming you'll adjust them slightly lower than normal to avoid dazzling other road users - you'll have less light on the footpath/hedges side of the road and it may fail MOT.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info lads. 1 last question I promise. Since its in German and I can read the description does anyone know if it comes with everything needed to plug and play to a 2004 DE? Cheers.

Edited by STYLZ

I believe you just need to move across the bulb, ballast, cable and grounding clip from your OEM lights across. Not sure but you might need to switch the bulb holder thing across as well - the springy metal bit.

Things you may find of interest:

BulletMagnet's thread (including output shots)

Video of installation

Edited by Hodaka

haha I can clearly tell Hodaka has been giving these headlights some thought/research.

For info I'm not planning on baking them open to access the shield, I'm going to try using self-adhesive aluminium tape through the bulb opening to see if I can apply the tape to the shield that way first. No harm in trying. I just want to make the shield cutoff as flat as possible (if it isnt already) rather than potentially kicking up to the right for LHD cars.

Like i said in my post its abit of a punt but if you can point me out where I can source a pair of new, facelift headlights for <£400 I will gladly not waste my time on LHD Depo units :lol:

haha I can clearly tell Hodaka has been giving these headlights some thought/research.

For info I'm not planning on baking them open to access the shield, I'm going to try using self-adhesive aluminium tape through the bulb opening to see if I can apply the tape to the shield that way first. No harm in trying. I just want to make the shield cutoff as flat as possible (if it isnt already) rather than potentially kicking up to the right for LHD cars.

Like i said in my post its abit of a punt but if you can point me out where I can source a pair of new, facelift headlights for <£400 I will gladly not waste my time on LHD Depo units :lol:

http://fullcartuning.com/56464-depo-facelift-headlights-black-nissan-350z

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

How could you tell?! :lol:

Sounds like a plan! You'll need some steady hands though - something I don't have :lol:

Just a couple things that pops to mind in case it helps. Sorry if you've already thought of them, I have no idea how much experience/knowledge you have so thought I may as well type them out!

• I believe these are bixenon headlights so the cut off shield will be attached to a solenoid. Although it depends on how they're designed, you may need to hold onto the solenoid somehow to prevent it from moving around when sticking on the tape. For example if your solenoid pushes the shield forwards and downwards, you'll need to use a hook like tool to keep it in place while you push the tape on with tweezers.
  • As you're adding tape, that means you're blocking more of the light. Although you'll have to do it and see, if the light decrease is too much, you could try shimming the bulb. Please note that this would probably cause your output to be smiling/frowning.

I'd be very interested to know how you got on. :thumbs:

I think Depo headlights are an awesome option if you can't (like me) or don't want to fork out for the OEM lights. Even if it has some issues other than the cut off, I think it's a great place to start.

I won't lie, I'm a tad jealous B)

The bulb is different for pre and post facelift, D2R up to 06 and D2S after 06. Another thing to note is the throw of the beam, it'll also be aiming slightly right instead of left, I'm not sure if this is adjustable or not, but if it isn't, you may need to aim the beams even lower due to blinding other drivers.

• Like 1

The throw shouldnt be an issue as facelift headlights have a greater output alegedly compared to my 04 units already. They have the same adjustment cogs/wheels as OEM so side to side will have some play just like up/down will. Cheers for the bulb heads-up, I got that from BulletMagnets guide posted on here already.

• Like 1

Quick delivery too, I only ordered on Saturday. It's beaten my self-adhesive aluminum tape that was from a UK seller :lol:

UnxFTN.jpg

Edit: I wont derail this topic any further now, I'll make a separate one when I get the chance to have a play with these. This concludes my buying/eBay part of things

Edited by Sargara

Quick delivery too, I only ordered on Saturday. It's beaten my self-adhesive aluminum tape that was from a UK seller :lol:

UnxFTN.jpg

Edit: I wont derail this topic any further now, I'll make a separate one when I get the chance to have a play with these. This concludes my buying/eBay part of things

Yum yum! I'll try and keep an eye out for your thread. I'd definitely be interested! :)

UnxFTN.jpg

Yum yum! I'll try and keep an eye out for your thread. I'd definitely be interested! :)

Ditto what Hodaka just said.

• 2 weeks later...