WARNING POSSIBLE SCAM ON PH05 ROD...

Surely if PH know, they could ban the ****?

They know of this type of scam - there's warnings all over Pistonheads about this scam but specifically claiming that Pistonheads are the holding company for the car - but can't do anything to stop the adverts appearing. Once they're reported, they usually get taken down quite quickly.

ah, I see, thank you

Sent from my Zed using Nangkang tyres front, RE040's rear

Right, just had a good read here, been hectic busy today.

Few things:

1. Budeanu it's a Romanian family surname, can you find out the first name?

2. Ask the bank to provide you with the conversation recording when they've stated it's all safe, you can go ahead with the transaction, but don't mention that, just ask for the recording.

3. Any email conversation at all? Would be nice if eBay would provide you with the IP used to logged in. You could try and ask...

4. I'll try my best to find the fu|<er using official channels through the Embassy if you can find more details about this Budeanu guy. I'm sure TSB would release all data of they get a request from the Police.

Hope we can track him down soon and get your money back, however small the chances are.

• Like 5

For future reference you should "NEVER" bank transfer or gift money via paypal unless you 100% know and trust the seller.. Either cash in hand for large sums of money or pay via paypal through ebay transaction as you will be covered if you get scammed.

I come across a pistonheads scammer couple years back on a Celica GT that was super cheap in London. Asked if I could view the vehicle but requested an upfront deposit and insisted on delivering the car if I transferred money to him. I pretty much told him where to go.

I've had some involvement with these people. Just been checking through my records. I was interested in this car about a month ago, before I bought my present Zed. I emailed Rebecca Brennan via eBay and got no answer. I was suspicious of the price and checked her eBay history, which seemed to be genuine.

I mailed her again and still no reply so I didn't pursue it. Then, on 7 Feb I got a text saying " Hi, the 2005 Nissan 350Z GT 3.5 V6 Roadster for £3800 is still for sale, email me: charwat45@gmail.com" The number was +39 2374 270. When I try to reply to that number, it won't deliver.

So, we have a potential opportunity to follow this through with me as an 'innocent' buyer...

• Like 1

In my job I gave to understand the workings of financial services including the work of the financial ombudsman.

If you are absolutely certain the bank 'reassured' you that the transaction would be protected - I would say that you have only been 'negligent' in the transaction.

If the bank warned you 'this all sounds a bit dodgy' and you still went through with the transaction the you would have been 'grossly negligent'

The relevance of these semantics is that in the former - you would have some protection, whereas in the latter you wouldn't.

The bank will almost certainly play a straight bat and try and swat you away.

When you are confident that you have made your full case and they have had their final word - which will be in a written format - they will advise you that if you are still not happy you can approach the financial ombudsman.

If you do this - the burden of proof is on the bank to prove that you were 'grossly negligent'. If they can't - you will win in most cases. If you were only negligent ie: if the bank really did tell you the transfer would be protected and you believed that, then you will almost certainly win an award and receive some, all, or all your money plus some compensation.

Personally, despite all the undercover work being undertaken on here - which is very well intended - I believe that this is your best chance of getting your money back.

Just for the avoidance of doubt, the ombudsman will not look at the case until you have exhausted all lines of complaint with the bank.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2

We need to get them to email you rather than text you so we can get their IPs.

They use web based SMS sending providers, don't underestimate their intelligence :) Romanians are well know for very elaborate internet frauds, way more advanced than the 419 crap. Many are on FBI most wanted list like this guy: http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/cyber/nicolae-popescu/view with $1 mil reward for him.

Just play the cards as you're ready to buy, ask some more details about the car, nothing advanced, like how is the paint work, any scratches, scuffs etc. Then ask them to email you the photos. They say you're ready to pay, ask for full banking details, first and last name, pretending it won't allow you to pay if you don't have full name.

Most likely bank account was opened with fake ID and all supporting papers needed ! Its too easy to do! iThis is an organised crime and they know what they doing,Don't underestimate these people!

I highly doubt fake ID stuff, Romanian passports are well renowned to be one of the safest in terms of forging stuff. Banks checks when you open an account are very thorough now days.

I'm pretty sure we can track the account holder down if we get full name.

Here's another scam. I deal in Rolex watches as a hobby. I sometimes use

eBay to buy and sell a few. I have seen every possible scam on there.

This watch is approximately £4.5k to £5k,for a genuine second hand one.

its either a new replica from Turkey (which are good replicas)

or you will never get the watch, and you will spend

months trying to get your money back from PayPal. So be careful folks. :scare: :scare:

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4d2db449f9

I do hope that OP gets his money back and the thief gets his just rewards..6 months. :rant:

Edited by WhackyWill

Is there anyway of checking with the Bank as to how many

people actually paid for this car, we are assuming that it was only the

OP that paid for it, bet they sold it a few times, Police might be more

interested if it a £15k fraud rather than a £4k one. :rant:

• Like 1

Thanks guys for your added support. Am awaiting reply from my bank about the recording. Also waiting for info from bank fraud team. Police not interested. Have put basic details on a fraud website they told me about ...but was a waste of time as nobody wants anything to do with it...surely these people can be traced by the police..? Had thought about going to BBC rip off Britain ..? See if they could help..?

Again thanks guys for your help and support...means a lot...and that people care...

Thanks guys for your added support. Am awaiting reply from my bank about the recording. Also waiting for info from bank fraud team. Police not interested. Have put basic details on a fraud website they told me about ...but was a waste of time as nobody wants anything to do with it...surely these people can be traced by the police..? Had thought about going to BBC rip off Britain ..? See if they could help..?

Again thanks guys for your help and support...means a lot...and that people care...

Rip off Britain will not be interested as it will take them months to schedule it into a production.

You need the Banks fraud squad or the police to take charge of this, but do ask the question

" How many other people deposited money to the same value into that account." ?

Good luck, hope the bas**rds get caught and you get your money back.. :rant: :rant:

You know whatv? Drop the UKIP leader an email and tell him how unhelpful the police have been and your are disillusioned

General election year and all that I can imagine the papers now !

• Like 4