Anyone owned a Bmw 320d coupe or similar?

Jake4136

Due to changing jobs I need to get a diesel. Boring I know but a necessity for now

Iv mainly been looking at 2.0tdi A4's, 320d's and Merc C220(coming in a tad over budget).Budget £9000

Back to my point, im going to look at this on Saturday and would love to hear your opinions/experiences :surrender:

http://www.gumtree.com/p/bmw/bmw-320d-turbo-m-sport-coupe-e92-black-leather-fbmwsh-xenons/1097750457

$_86.JPG

Fuel type Diesel Year 2007 Body type Coupe Model 320d m sport Colour Blue Seller type Private

Mileage 70693 Transmission Manual Make BMW Engine size 1995(177bhp) Posted 17 days ago

Description

BMW 320d turbo Msport coupe (E92) in Le Mans Blue.

Last MOT had no advisories

MOT due October 2015 last MOT .

Full BMW service history,

Last serviced 69900 miles

BMW halo ring daylight running lights

Xenon main beam lights.

18" light alloy double spoke wheels (style 225 M)

New tyres recently fitted .

Full dakota leather upholstery with black ceiling finish and fine brushed aluminium interior trim (Looks as new)

M sport foot-well mats.

Electric adjusting sports seats with lumbar support

Child seat points in the rear (isofix system).

Air conditioning with dual climate control.

Power steering

Electric windows

Cruise control

Steering wheel adjustment

Parking aid sensors

Driver's airbags, Side airbags, Passenger airbags.

Electric locking doors and boot.

Alarm and immobilizer

Auto dimming rear view mirror.

Inspections welcome

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.

All opinions welcome, good or bad

I don't get the stigma with gumtree. Iv sold loads of stuff on there including my wife's audi

Anyhoo my brother has an e92 325 petrol. He likes it but it did have the issue with the air con

I can't remember the problem exactly but something to do with the condenser failing causing a fine white residue to get blown through the vents. You should be able to find it on google

i had a 2007 320d touring (M sport). in the M sport spec with the low profile tyres it was very crashy (suspension) and i got absolutely nowhere near the suggested MPG figures. its one of the shortest times i have owned a car for, sold it on and bought a same year big Merc estate and get similar MPG with much nicer road manners and many many more toys

look for 2007 E280 or E320 Mercs with under 70k and you will find loads in your budget... much much much more car for your money and similar fuel economy and a much nicer place to be for motorway miles

oh and an E320 comes with a 0-60 time of about 6.5 seconds and has a bucket load of torque!

The 320d is a good car, they were mega popular as company cars for a long time and still are - so quite a lot on the 2nd hand market. The same engine is in the 120d and my mate did 120k in 3 years in his company one without any major problems. They are pretty economical and servicing is cheap. I considered them when I was looking last, but decided to go with the 123d instead as I preferred it over the 3 series.

The M-Sport does have quite hard suspension which isnt to everyones taste. Personally I find my 123d M Sport actually handles better than my zed did and the only time the suspension seems hard is when I have any passengers. Then its noticeably a very firm ride. However, since 99.9% of my journeys are just me in the car on my own, the handling seems perfect for me.

Edited by rabbitstew

Id add that its a matter of taste, I found the M335/M435 a bit soft and wobbly, particularly for such a quick car, far prefer 1M and M3 which are supposedly even harsher :)

The active damping is very good though, but better in a 1 or 2 Series :)

What was the 435 like overall? On paper it looks like a performance car and ticks all the boxes but in reality?

If its the same engine as the 520d of the same era avoid. My timing chain tensioner failed at 21k. The whole engine required removal to sort it and it took a month for the parts to arrive to fix it. Luck of the draw I guess. I hear the three litre diesel is the one to go for.

I've got a 2005 320d SE Saloon. I bought it last year as a temporary car when i was doing 2k miles per month. Since then I've fallen in love with it. It's a fantastic car, all the power you ever realistically need, certainly tight and agile, and mid 40's MPG.

Okay so it looks boring as fook to look at, but i'm happy to forgive that for the driving ease/pleasure, and when it comes to it, enjoyment. I've definitely been able to push on as hard as i did in my zed in it.

Mines on 119k now, but it drives absolutely impeccably.

What was the 435 like overall? On paper it looks like a performance car and ticks all the boxes but in reality?

More of a GT car than a sports car IMO, its definitely very fast but isnt as a sharp as an M3, TBF its a bit softer than a Nismo 370 or possibly even a 350Z.

I drove it straight after the M235i and could feel the extra weight and slightly duller response - if youre after a coupe by definition you dont need space, and when the M235i is a better drivers car and kinda leaves you wondering why the 435i exists - the 2 is cheaper, faster, more powerful, lighter and handles better and is only a little smaller in the back. Weird.

For the record the 2 is better than the F21 1 Series as well, the front end feels noticeably better and it feels more direct to drive. And doesnt look :yuck::lol:

The 435 is very, very pretty though and nicer in pretty much every respect than the old 335 coupe, the 8 speed auto is amazing for a single clutch gearbox too :)

This article sums it up pretty well, strangely enough the cars in the pics are the same colours as he ones I drove too :lol:

http://www.autoweb.co.uk/headtohead/bmw-m235i-vs-bmw-435i-m-sport

If you want a fast small BMW, pick up a used 135i for <£15K, send it to Birds BMW and get fitted:

1: 430bhp conversion - bigger turbos, intercooler, downpipes etc - £6K

2: Dynamics pack - LSD, Spring, Dampers, Anti-roll bar - £3.2k

3: Alcon brake kit - front - £2.5k

= Total price including donor car at £15K = £26.5K, which is a bargain for the performance your getting per £££.

Your end up with something that will be more fun, faster (significantly), lighter, and much more unique than any of the current generation M135/235/335/435….and your be saving about £20K compared to a M235i. If I had £30-40K to spend on a small fast BMW that’s what I would do.

http://www.birdsauto...adar-april-2011

Edited by gangzoom

I've recently brought a 320d M sport coupe. It's a 2008 with 80k on the clock. Running on non runflats and 18" wheels it's really comfy and handles well. I'd look at approved used cars only though as mine just had the clutch and flywheel replaced under warranty. It also had an oil/brake fluid service, new disks and pads all round, new tyres on the front. I paid £10,650 and have BMW's warranty so not to worried about chain problems.

My mates 2009 320d se has 215k on the clock now and only needed a clutch plate re lining and Xenon headlight bulb since getting the car 100k miles ago.

If I had £30-40K to spend on a small fast BMW that’s what I would do.

Or you buy one with all of that done and save about £10K. Like I did :teeth:

FTR on an N54 you dont need turbos or downpipes to see 430hp, an intercooler and Cobb Device is whats required and will save a chunk of money there and if you can find and fit S/H ARBs and suspension theres more to be saved too :thumbs:

However fuel goes down to between 22 and 26 mpg, tyres die very quickly and its extremely difficult to stay under 120mph :lol:

• Like 1