Rocker cover grommets - no need to replace entire RC

RobPhoboS

I have recreated the alignment tool in a 3d model so if anybody wants another for some reason, or theirs breaks, you can send the STL file to a 3d printing company, or use your own 3d printer and get one re-made.

Thanks for this. Hopefully I won't need it but nice to know it's there :thumbs:

(although the one in the video looks plastic to me, so I don't think we've got an inferior tool)

I finished up again last night at 2:30am haha.

It only took an hour to strip it back down but then just took my time cleaning it up again.

I'm praying to the v6 God's that it's ok this time.

Fingers crossed for you mate.

I'm going to do mine next weekend, all being well. Any particular tips or things to avoid (especially re the gasket)?

I have recreated the alignment tool in a 3d model so if anybody wants another for some reason, or theirs breaks, you can send the STL file to a 3d printing company, or use your own 3d printer and get one re-made.

Thanks for this. Hopefully I won't need it but nice to know it's there :thumbs:

(although the one in the video looks plastic to me, so I don't think we've got an inferior tool)

Naa, don't think we do, just fancied re-making one, just-in-case, and also im trying to learn 3d modelling as im building 1 3d printer and buying another, gotta start simple with two tubes basically! lol

Hey guy's, just got back to London, I've done around 70 miles now, stopping a few times to just double check things over.

Except for the stink of oil that landed on the manifold yesterday, all seems well and I'm having my celebratory beer now!

At some point tomorrow I'll get some pics/tips up.

• Like 2

So if anyone else is going to embark on this, aside from what you get in the handy kit, watch the videos several times and printing the manual out like he does, makes it far easier to see settings for torque spec etc:

Odds and sods:

• Top up oil (in case you er loose some :wacko:)
  • Head torch
  • Low torque - Torque wrench (2-20nm will do it) - buy one and bloody use it - f'ing tight doesn't cut it.
  • Various ratchet extenders
  • Good quality 10mm sockets - most of the bolt heads on this job are 10mm, so I used a couple of different ones (small, deep etc)
  • Crows foot socket (just 10mm will do for this job - don't get a crap cheap set, look for a reasonable kit like the Draper one - check the design differences in the pics - I forgot I had this in the shed so made do with a 10mm ratchet spanner for the hard to get to right bank bolt in the bottom corner)
  • Can of carb cleaner (useful for cleaning the inside of the rocker covers, and sprayed onto a mf cloth to wipe down the metal of the mounting point)
  • Cling film (I used this to cover various pipes and holes into the engine)
  • Long nose pliers (some of the clips are a pain to reach - something like this will help): http://www.amazon.co...1" LONG HANDLES

I can't stress this enough, having the manual to hand is a must as it tells you exactly what to do.

RTFM

Here are various pics I took when I remembered, I was by myself so I typically just want to get on with the job.

In the beginning:

IMAG0619_zpsuhuffj0b.jpg

(my mum's neighbour gave me a large marquee tent a few weeks ago - very handy as it initially kept the rain out, then later the sunshine from cooking me)

Pull the fuse to the fuel pump, crank it a few times - in PDF manual EC-45, "FUEL PRESSURE RELEASE"

IMAG0620_zpsntseexsm.jpg

IMAG0621_zpsgqrmnprs.jpg

Difference between left and right covers - notice the oil residue on the left one (it was even underneath the air filter box).

IMAG0629_zpsl14ptlcl.jpg

IMAG0630_zpsp2u7zalf.jpg

IMAG0631_zpsw5pgrijy.jpg

This plug slowed me down completely, it's at the back of the left bank but I couldn't feel how to bloody get it off, so in the end I left it on, probably would have been better off tbh

It's also mentioned in the z33 garage video.

IMAG0633_zpsv9p5fvm7.jpg

One cover off:

IMAG0638_zpsndeyeelc.jpg

Check how oily this bugger is:

IMAG0643_zpsa89eyvss.jpg

Both off - and just ensure you cover up the cams etc

IMAG0648_zpsywtmcogm.jpg

I didn't bother taking photo's of cleaning up the covers as it's pretty obvious.

The only thing I'd recommend is to use something thin and blunt to get a bit of microfibre cloth into the gasket grove, to ensure it's fully clean.

And use enough RTV sealant or this happens...

IMAG0650_zpsuyrf12dt.jpg

(still pongs of burnt oil as loads more than that came out :blush:)

So the initial attempt certainly did take it's time, so give yourself plenty if you've not done this before. On my second go at it, stripping it back took around 1.5hrs but then I was super dooper anal about cleaning the surfaces properly and letting the RTV cure for 40mins on the cover gasket and the engine L bits you plop on. So it was another very late night by the time I had done that bit again.

I also re-sprayed the upper plenum and gave it a clean :thumbs:

IMAG0662_zps1tgilew5.jpg

Edited by RobPhoboS
  • Like 1

Cheers for these, very useful :thumbs:

A couple of questions if I may:

1. When you say crank the fuel pump after removing the fuse, do you mean the throttle pedal (with the ignition on or off?)

2. When you say "RTV cure for 40mins on the cover gasket and the engine L bits" - does 'cover gasket' mean the speak plug grommets? And what are engine L bits (i.e. where else did you put RTV sealant?)

Cheers for these, very useful :thumbs:

A couple of questions if I may:

1. When you say crank the fuel pump after removing the fuse, do you mean the throttle pedal (with the ignition on or off?)

2. When you say "RTV cure for 40mins on the cover gasket and the engine L bits" - does 'cover gasket' mean the speak plug grommets? And what are engine L bits (i.e. where else did you put RTV sealant?)

Read the manual & watch the video :lol:

(seriously, it tells you in there).

Pick you year of car here:

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/nissan-350z-factory-service-manuals.html

Read the ec.pdf

(page 45 that's what "EC-45, "FUEL PRESSURE RELEASE"" means)

and the em.pdf for the rest of the job.

Then come back and ask if you are still confused mate :)

• Like 1

I have skimmed the manual before but want to check something. The RTV gasket, I know you have to put them round the new grommets to seal them, but you don't apply it anywhere else do you? Surely the cam covers rubber gasket in the kit is enough to seal that?

The RTV gasket should be left for 24 hours shouldn't it, not 40 mins?

Top job anyway mate, im really hoping to get mine done this weekend. Ive bought some orange masking tape to stick on anything I remove (pipe, connector,tubing-wise) so I make sure to plug them all back in!

Edited by cs2000

So I applied the RTV sealant around the bolt holes in the rocker cover groove as shown in the video, you could be totally right that it's not required but I felt it's worth having.

It also helps keeping the gasket from falling out, and possibly reducing any issue of pinching (imho).

Yes, it takes 24 hours to fully cure but around 30-40 mins to go from it's initial malleable state to being a bit more rubbery for want of a better word. He does show that in the video, and because it was cold outside, it put them inside the house with some weight on top of it (not loads).

I promise it's not a hard job, just time consuming and it's really worth taking your time, getting reference photo's and labelling things up. I think I swore twice (I over torqued one of the upper plenum bolts - snap :blush:, and I couldn't get that plug off from one of the pics) :lol:

I should also add, I'm going to do an oil change (argh, only did this about 6 weeks ago) for 2 reasons.

If there were any particles of old sealant\plastic\dirt that fell into the engine I want it out, and also so I can keep an eye on the oil level.

I'll probably pop some new spark plugs in as well at the end of the month.

• Like 1

Yep, just seen that at around 27 mins, thanks :thumbs:

Do you really have to disconnect all the things he had disconnected? Seems like he does a lot of extra work. Its fine if so, just trying to judge times, and whether I would benefit from an assistant ;)

Yeah it's a case of the wiring loom blocking the cover either removing, or installing. You'll see as you start to do it.

It'll take a bit more time but in the end make it easier to do the job - so of course, it's up to you.

You don't need help, just time - I prefer doing these things myself typically, just so I know exactly what's going on, and that it's my car - I want to ensure I've torqued things up or what not.

:thumbs:

& this is the hole cutter I bought @ 51mm (2 inch was the US one used)

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3a841398b1

I bought the same hole saw but my arbor/mandrel is the wrong size. Did you buy the one from the same eBay seller because the one in his picture has a couple of protuberances that look like they will stop the screw reaching the hole saw? It doesn't look like the arbor in the R&D video above...

& this is the hole cutter I bought @ 51mm (2 inch was the US one used)

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3a841398b1

I bought the same hole saw but my arbor/mandrel is the wrong size. Did you buy the one from the same eBay seller because the one in his picture has a couple of protuberances that look like they will stop the screw reaching the hole saw? It doesn't look like the arbor in the R&D video above...

My stepdad had the connecting piece (luckily!) as I had totally forgotten about it.

He just had some multi hole saw kit, which annoyingly had the same 51mm bit in there too. Unfortunately I can't give you any details as that stuff is back in Surrey.

Well, half did mine yesterday. Did all the grommets on the passenger side but bottles it doing the drivers side, seemed like there was twice as many things to remove and I chickened out on that side. 24 hours is at about 1 today so fingers crossed that A, the thing still starts, and B, it doesn't leak anything from anywhere. I just have a bad feeling about it :(

Edit:

looks as though my concerns were unfounded. Had the car running (on driveway) for about 10 mins. Coolant temp is up to the usual and I have given it a few revs up to 2-3000 and one up to 5-6000. Can't see any evidence of any leaks externally and car sounds fine. I'm assuming of course that the leak in the coil pack hole has been fixed but I'm not removing them to check, they're a pain to get out!

Will leave it running for another 10 peso to get everything nicely warm but seems to be good. Will need to pay sly a visit to do the drivers side though!

Edited by cs2000
  • Like 1

Jeez - I'm on day 2 and still haven't got the first rocker cover off yet! :wacko: (Mind you I only have an hour or so between getting home and it getting dark but never mind, making progress...)

One thing I can report is how to get the infamous green plug off : you have to push on the top end of the green slider but it's in the opposite direction to pulling the plug off, i.e. you push the green slider into the plug as you pull it away. On the video he says push it in the same direction.

Got to say: whoever invented the various connectors is a f*&%ing sadist :rant:

PS. Re the hole saw arbor, either buy the arbor from the same eBay seller in the link above, or this one at your local ToolStation (part no. 50147, £4.29) - the pilot drill can be removed.

Edited by thedon
  • Like 1

Well done guys keep plugging away (no pun).

thedon:

see item no2 in my 'Odds and sods:' list - that'll help when it's dark :lol:

cs2000:

the other side isn't bad, it's a bit fiddly moving bits out of the way but if you just pull the wiring loom towards the cabin it gives you enough wiggle room.

Remember I didn't get that very first green plug out either, I couldn't figure it out and by the time I realised he was chatting about it in the video I was well on my way.

My set of 11" angled pliers arrived today as well (linked above). These will be bloody handy in the future for getting various clips off that are knuckle scrapingly out of reach :lol:

Well done guys keep plugging away (no pun).

thedon:

see item no2 in my 'Odds and sods:' list - that'll help when it's dark :lol:

cs2000:

the other side isn't bad, it's a bit fiddly moving bits out of the way but if you just pull the wiring loom towards the cabin it gives you enough wiggle room.

Remember I didn't get that very first green plug out either, I couldn't figure it out and by the time I realised he was chatting about it in the video I was well on my way.

My set of 11" angled pliers arrived today as well (linked above). These will be bloody handy in the future for getting various clips off that are knuckle scrapingly out of reach :lol:

Lol I got scared. I did the metal fuel rail at one stage as it was clearly in the way bug fuel was pouring everywhere! That's stuff is expensive so I shoved it back in, did it up and called it a day! Lol. Took the car out today for a drive, all seemed good, maybe better then before, I did clean up loads of crap from the butterfly valve and inside the plenum though