Any medical experts/doctors on here?

Lincolnbaggie

Think I may have an inguinal groin hernia :wheelchair: . Not a major problem, and treatment is minor surgery. However, I am currently in Portugal and would have to return to the UK to get it sorted. Is this something I should make a special trip for asap, or can I wait till my scheduled return in a couple of months time?

Basically, am I risking major complications by ignoring it for a while?

Any advice welcome

Go and see an actual Doctor and take their advice! There are some things where advice on a forum / internet is pretty pointless, even from people who claim to be medical experts as they don't know your history/ symptoms etc. :thumbs:

• Like 1

NYE we had a skipper medivacced off the boat with that exact issue. Described his pain as 10 outta 10 and required 15ml of morphine just to be able to travel in the ambulance.

Get a MDs opinion asap and act on their advice.

I had this op a couple of years ago, it's all in the luck of the draw as to how painful/serious it is, it can cause bowel stangulation or blockages which is very serious. Others can go on for years with no pain/problems. As others have said, if you haven't done so alreafy go and see the quack and see what he advises. I had key hole surgery, up and about in a couple of days, one night in hospital. Good luck with it all mate :)

Go and see an actual Doctor and take their advice! There are some things where advice on a forum / internet is pretty pointless, even from people who claim to be medical experts as they don't know your history/ symptoms etc. :thumbs:

Never a truer word said on the internet.

However give me £200 and I'll do the operation :lol:

• Like 3

Agree with the guys, go and see / speak to a Doc. Contacting Bennett is terrific idea. I know he'll offer you some very solid and well founded advice.

Just don't let him near any tools. :D

And if he's your surgeon, he'll be late :lol:

• Like 1

Agree with the guys, go and see / speak to a Doc. Contacting Bennett is terrific idea. I know he'll offer you some very solid and well founded advice.

Just don't let him near any tools. :D

And if he's your surgeon, he'll be late :lol:

Meeeoooow :lol:

But true!!!

Think I may have an inguinal groin hernia :wheelchair: . Not a major problem, and treatment is minor surgery. However, I am currently in Portugal and would have to return to the UK to get it sorted. Is this something I should make a special trip for asap, or can I wait till my scheduled return in a couple of months time?

Any advice welcome

Got a head up from AdrianðŸ‘.

To answer all your questions would require confirming that you actually have a hernia indeed in the first instance. Most times the diagnosis is obvious on clinical examination. Sometimes you may need an ultrasound or radiologic modalities.

Treatment is often elective(planned) but if you develope a complication like strangulation then you will require emergency surgery.

Typically for an inguinal hernia the gold standard repair is the Lichtenstein technique (mesh overlay repair) and it's usually a daycase procedure. Endoscopic (keyhole) repair is also possible but usually not employed for a simple inguinal hernia.

So if all you have is a lump in the groin which comes up when you strain, stand etc and that reduces easily when you apply gently pressure to it, lie down or wear even a corset. Typically you may experience a heaviness, dragging sensation or mild discomfort when it's popped out but this goes away when back in.

If the lump becomes very painful, red/hot, unable to reduce, or you start to vomit or experience a distending tummy then these may suggest a serious complication requiring emergency surgery.

You can reduce the chance of the hernia symptoms worsening or complicating by avoiding strainous activities, avoid constipation, treating persistent cough etc.

I'm quite happy for you to contact me by pm or phone so we can discuss things of a more personal nature and I can try to advice appropriately.

Edited by GT4 Zed
  • Like 1

Any advice welcome

Got a head up from Adrian👍.

To answer all your questions would require confirming that you actually have a hernia indeed in the first instance. Most times the diagnosis is obvious on clinical examination. Sometimes you may need an ultrasound or radiologic modalities.

Treatment is often elective(planned) but if you develope a complication like strangulation then you will require emergency surgery.

Typically for an inguinal hernia the gold standard repair is the Lichtenstein technique (mesh overlay repair) and it's usually a daycase procedure. Endoscopic (keyhole) repair is also possible but usually employed for a simple inguinal hernia.

So if all you have is a lump in the groin which comes up when you strain, stand etc and that reduces easily when you apply gently pressure to it, lie down or wear even a corset. Typically you may experience a heaviness, dragging sensation or mild discomfort when it's popped out but this goes away when back in.

If the lump becomes very painful, red/hot, unable to reduce, or you start to vomit or experience a distending tummy then these may suggest a serious complication requiring emergency surgery.

You can reduce the chance of the hernia symptoms worsening or complicating by avoiding strainous activities, avoid constipation, treating persistent cough etc.

I'm quite happy for you to contact me by pm or phone so we can discuss things of a more personal nature and I can try to advice appropriately.

That's what I said Bennet ;)

Any advice welcome

Got a head up from Adrian������.

Typically for an inguinal hernia the gold standard repair is the Lichtenstein technique (mesh overlay repair) and it's usually a daycase procedure. Endoscopic (keyhole) repair is also possible but usually employed for a simple inguinal hernia.

That's what I said Batman ;)

Corrected that for you :)