Need help! Went in with 1 flat came out 'needing 4 new ones'!

JoshC

....from Kwik Fit that is! Before you tell me off for going there, let me explain. Went out to the car and noticed front pass side was flat. Drove to nearest petrol station to inflate all tyres and the 2 front were very low, pass side was 12 psi, drivers 18, backs were fine.

Had a free check in Kiwk Fit as it was the nearest garage and they said the 2 rears are slightly garaged and near limit but all legal and holding air so forgetting them for now!

As for the fronts, the pass is leaking because the rim isn't straight and the drivers has some big gauges out of the sidewalls. I knew about the sidewalls and mentioned them to BMW (where I bought the car) and they said if they aren't road legal then they'll change them but not otherwise so they didn't but now Kwik fit says technically they are illegal!

As for the other side the out of shape rim must have been leaking very slowly over the past month I've had it and being as they refurbed all the wheels for me they surely should have spotted this?

Now, the car is going back to BMW Thursday to have some other things done under warranty. Do you all think i have an argument that they should replace the front gauged one for me and also fix or replace the bent rim or could they just claim I did the damage to both and I haven't got a comeback? Luckily since in licked the car up I'm still yet to kerb them freshly painted wheels so it's clear I've not hit any kerbs..

Sorry for the long story but any advice is much appreciated!

Gouged, not gauged. Took me a while to realise what you meant!

You've accepted the car, so if the damage was there when you picked it up you either should've rejected the car until sorted, or haggled it into the cost originally. Who's to say the damage wasn't done during your ownership? Devils advocate, of course.

The buckled wheel I would say is down to them, as like you say it's clear you've not knocked them, but really I think you have to be sucking the tyres up yourself. Unless you play very nicely and see if they'll do it for you, but I'm not sure I would if I were them.

• Like 1

It can't hurt to ask at the BMW dealership. You have two chances as they say ~ either it will be a yes or no.

Just tell them you've been having a problem since you picked the car up & that you're not happy, ...then just see what they can do for you. Personally I don't think they'll replace both tyres but you might get some where with the damaged alloy if you're lucky.

Good luck. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Gouged, not gauged. Took me a while to realise what you meant!

You've accepted the car, so if the damage was there when you picked it up you either should've rejected the car until sorted, or haggled it into the cost originally. Who's to say the damage wasn't done during your ownership? Devils advocate, of course.

The buckled wheel I would say is down to them, as like you say it's clear you've not knocked them, but really I think you have to be sucking the tyres up yourself. Unless you play very nicely and see if they'll do it for you, but I'm not sure I would if I were them.

Haha! My bad!

Yeah that's gonna be their argument I guess, for the gouged one I'm gonna say that I did specifically ask the salesman about that and he said not a problem, just stupid on my part not to get something more formal in way of a check or to get them checked myself immediately :(

It can't hurt to ask at the BMW dealership. You have two chances as they say ~ either it will be a yes or no.

Just tell them you've been having a problem since you picked the car up & that you're not happy, ...then just see what they can do for you. Personally I don't think they'll replace both tyres but you might get some where with the damaged alloy if you're lucky.

Good luck. :thumbs:

Yeah, think I might get somewhere with the wheel but probably not the tyres, worth a try though like you say! :)