Dan's 645Ci thread

Ekona

Ooh that's superb Lexx :thumbs:

I've still got two resonators I can remove if I want a bit more, but I think you can get away with it a bit more on the VX than on a BMW. Still tempted now though!

It's certainly a nice sounding set up you've got Dan.

Everytime I play that video of my VXR8 I miss it!

• 3 weeks later...

I had some work done on the car this past week, as I felt it needed it.

Clutch was slipping badly, so I had that replaced. Unfortunately when they got in there they discovered that it had been slipping so much that it had left hotspots on the flywheel. Now they did offer to skim it for me on the understanding that I accepted it would leave a judder when pulling away, which obviously I wasn't going to be happy living with. They then gave me the price of an OEM flywheel...

Twelve hundred pounds. :scare:

Erm, nope! Managed to get a LUK one instead for less than half that, just as good a job. The brakes also had a slight judder on them at light pressures, and we concluded that although there was plenty of meat left on everything (the BMW tells you how much, it was at least 10k miles) the only real option was to replace the lot due to slight warping and pad transfer. Luckily BMW do a service pack now as the car is so old, so they weren't as expensive as you might have expected. Still the wrong side of £600, but not that bad really.

I also asked them to fully inspect the car. The only thing they could find was a slight weep from the oil filter (I had them do a minor service while it was there to sort this), and an even tinier weeny tear of oil from the RHS rocker cover. They said they wouldn't even bother touching this, as it's so minute that it's pointless to do right now. Other than that, they had no concerns which pleased me. A final bill of £2.5K wasn't great, but it does mean the car is mint and I've probably added at least a grand to the value with the works anyway.

They're going to do a custom alignment for me as well, as the generic OEM setup I have isn't good enough for me. Thanks to Kyle for his help providing the M6 specs on that one. :)

• Like 1

Glad your getting on well with the car, these BMWs are high maintenance though, mine is going back to Mitz again in the next few weeks with a leaking radiator....I might as well pre-book the car with him on a monthly basis :)

At least our Civic replacement is arriving this weekend, after been use to 50mpg+ in the Civic, 20-25mpg was abit of a shock. But my wife did point out the Bimmer does cover ground quite quickly :)

• Like 1

Thats quite a chunk of money to throw about this soon after buying the car, but at least now it's sitting perfect for you and will only need minimal maintenance for the next few years.

I expect my first service to cost similar :lol:

• Like 1

Thats quite a chunk of money to throw about this soon after buying the car, but at least now it's sitting perfect for you and will only need minimal maintenance for the next few years.

I expect my first service to cost similar :lol:

Yeah, I was thinking this. Probably would have been better to get the car checked out and driven by a professional mechanic before handing over the loot.

Yeah, I was thinking this. Probably would have been better to get the car checked out and driven by a professional mechanic before handing over the loot.

I expected to have to do the clutch and brakes during my ownership, so whether I did it now or on 6mths made no odds to me. I bought from a dealer so in theory could go back and argue the toss on some of the bits, but then I wouldn't consider that morally right as I'd already haggled on the cost of the car and tbh anyone buying a ten year old car with 100k on the clock shouldn't expect perfection. Now if the engine blew up that would be different...!

Nope, if I'd waited and got an inspection I'd have lost the car to someone else, and these things are like hens teeth. Take a chance, some you win and some you lose. I now have a perfect car for pretty much peanuts, so I'm still happy enough :)

• Like 1

I think people these days are far too obsessed with warranties/claiming for repairs etc. At the end of the day you don't buy something like a 645i to count the pennies.

It's a car, things will break, and when they do you pay to sort it out. If you cannot afford the running costs, sell up and get something cheaper. Life is far too short to spend worrying about car repair costs.....Or may be its just a state of mind you get into when you buy into BMW ownership :)

• Like 1

As long as you go into these things knowing that you are going to have to spend money to keep the car running, then I don't see the issue. £2500 does seem like a lot of money, but what would anyone expect for a car that was over £70k a few years ago?

On a side note, I saw a new blue M6 the other day... roll on horrendous depreciation... absolutely gorgeous car.

They'll probable be £2500 to buy used by this time next year :D

Took her out for a blat today, and discovered that it's got a two-stage traction control system. One push disables the stability, holding it disables everything. Very handy when you want the car to move around a bit, but still with a safety net.

Anything would look better than the OEM ones on there atm!

any plans to wring some serious performance from it?

Not really, these engines don't respond hugely well to much tuning short of a supercharger kit (£7K, and yes I've already looked!). With breathing mods and a remap you might get an extra 40bhp, but that's about your lot.

I think I'll do exhaust for some noise, springs for some stiffness, Dension for some iPod, and then maybe ARBs as well. It has the comfort seats in, so I may swap them for the sport seats (adds lumbar control) if I can find a set at the right price. Really the modding budget is going on the MR2 though, I want to try and keep this vaguely normal.

I might put a BGW on it, just for sh*ts and giggles.

UUuuummm, didn't spot anything here about clutch, flywheel and brakes. B)

Well, no. Does anyone actually specify the routine maintenance when they buy a car? No-one asked, I didn't volunteer. Are you ever planning to change your brake pads when they get low? Or will you ask someone to carry out a service at some point? Ooh, do you think you'll ever wash your car?! :yawn:

I write these threads (and all my car threads, actually) as I enjoy it, and hopefully other people can get some kind of idea what it's like to own something different in the real world. My humble apologies if this is not to your taste.

FFS sunshine, you really are a weapons grade pillock. You don't like the car, we get it. You don't like me, fine, I get that too. You really are making yourself look an utter plank here though, and I'd wager I'm not the only one thinking it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Things I learnt yesterday:

A 645Ci makes a pretty rubbish track car.

A 645Ci can keep up with a stripped and 888-shod RX8 on track if you really, really, really pedal the thing.

When all else fails, drifting a 645Ci is bloody hysterical.

:D

• Like 7

A 645Ci can keep up with a stripped and 888-shod RX8 on track if you really, really, really pedal the thing.

:worthless:

Sounds brilliant Dan :D, *waits patiently for video*