Wireless Phone Charger Fitting

robertsjames

Hi Guys.

Some of you may have seen on the wanted section that I was after a 350z and I finally took the plunge on a lovely Azure blue example with only 30,000 miles. The modding started straight away and I have already had an Invidia Gemini exhaust with decats fitted along with the interior bulb changes. I wanted something more from the ICE so I decided to follow some of the guides on here (this forum is great) and fitted a Sony XAV601BT.

Whilst I was doing this I thought I could do something a little different. I wanted a solution to charging my phone in the Cubby hole so I could use the Sat Nav and music functions but did not want to make holes in anything or have cables flying around inside of their. I have an LG G3 (great phone) which as standard comes with wireless charging, it also fits perfectly into the Cubby hole like it was made specifically for it.

IMG_4223.jpg

I bought a Choetech wireless charger off eBay and ripped it apart to unveil the insides:

IMG_4225.jpg

I had already taken apart the dash at this point to attach the Sony head unit so tested it on the back of the Cubby hole. I positioned the charger in the correct place and to my delight I found that my phone was charging.

Positioning charger:

IMG_4226.jpg

Phone charging (see small red charging LED):

IMG_4230.jpg

I attached the wireless charger to the back of the Cubby hole using double sided foam tape and it was secured in place:

IMG_4228.jpg

I wanted a very seamless install so I spliced into the original front cigarette lighter and attached another one from Maplins which was surprisingly easy to do

IMG_4231.jpg

From this I attached a Samsung in car charger and simply taped it up so it would not come detached. I then fitted the USB cable into the car charger and the wireless charger.

Samsung charger:

IMG_4232.jpg

USB into wireless charger:

IMG_4233.jpg

With all this done I simply refitted everything along with my new headunit and fired everything up.

IMG_4235.jpg

Everything works great and I now have a Bluetooth music player along with a free Sat Nav screen, as you can easily see the phone from the drivers seat. It looks pretty good and seamless I think, especially with no wires to see at all.

Without phone:

IMG_4238.jpg

If you want to do this yourself some new phones come with wireless charging inbuilt but you can also buy cases that do the same thing that quite a few iPhone users have. Also make sure to buy a 2amp in car USB charger, anything lower will not give you a strong enough wireless charging signal to pass through the Cubby hole plastic.

I thought this might be a bit interesting for some of you on here as it is something a little different. Thanks to all the people who have done guides on here previously as well, without them I would have not known where to start with my head unit fitting (busters Mod is great!)

Edited by robertsjames
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've recently upgraded to the Samsung Galaxy S6 which has the wireless charging function B)

I need to look into doing something like this as my phone chews the battery when using the sat nav.

I also put my phone into the cubby as it's a pretty good fit - although sometimes when I accelerate my phone falls onto it's screen :lol: