Accidentally topped up pink coolant with blue coolant????

Jake4136

2002 mini cooper 1.6 petrol 90,000miles

I've just topped up my girlfriends pink coolant with about 200 ml of blue coolant (from just below the minimum line to just below the max line).

I quick Google search says that the pink and blue may react together and create a sludge that will damage the cooling system. Am I going to need to flush the system?

Thanks for any advice

Its nothing to panic over, you not likely to gum up the cooling system by mixing two different types of coolant,

ideally you shouldn't mix ethylene glycol with organic acid types, but sludge forming will be more down to bad quality and hard water, its more a case of what type is suitable with the engine metals, some manufactures recommend using a certain type, if your worried just drain and refill with the recommended type.

Ekona:

Flush ASAP, that is a disaster waiting to happen!

Seriously, don't drive the car if you possibly can, and get that out of there.

Imagine that being said with dramatic Hollywood movie magic music with lots of slow motion diving shots, reaching for the correct one colour coolant, with explosions and smoke...... so sensational

•  

• Like 3

Colour does not necessarily designate the kind of coolant these days, it used to but not any more, although there is possibly one exception which is the orange organic acid type, the rest can be any mix of corrosion inhibitors, which is what you have to be a little careful about, if your car came with a long life coolant from the factory its not a good idea to top up with a silicate based coolant, it wont kill you engine but it will effect corrosion resistance.

• Like 1

...., it wont kill you engine but it will effect corrosion resistance.

....which in the long run could kill your engine?

Yes but eventually, nothing is going to happen in the course of a few months, just like your pics its something that happens anyway, and over years, that why coolant has corrosion inhibitors. ;)

The colour isn't relevant, it's just colouring. There are a couple of different types, though, but every car made in the past 15+ years has used the same type.

I can't remember which one is which, but I'm sure someone will.

Quick copy and paste to explain the various types, colours and uses of antifreeze,Let us begin to sort this out by pointing out the three principal groups of coolants. We will not define every possible coolant and its corresponding color. Indeed, yellow coolants may have very different compositions. A blue coolant may have the same formula as a red coolant. The three basic divisions include the following: Group 1 - the original glycol-based “green†antifreeze we are all familiar with. They have quick-acting silicate and phosphate corrosion inhibitors that do a good job inhibiting corrosion on both iron and aluminum surfaces. This familiar green liquid has proven its worth in all the temperature extremes of North America. Virtually any vehicle can use this fluid. Why not make this the universal coolant? You could, and maybe we have, but the corrosion inhibitors have a very short life and the antifreeze must be changed every other year or every 30,000 miles. If the customer fails to perform this maintenance, then expensive radiator, heater core and pump replacements soon follow. Unfortunately, many motorists do not keep up with maintenance, even with encouragement from their mechanics. Group 2 – coolants based on the organic acid technology (OAT). They contain 2-ethylhexanoic-acid or 2-EHA and other organic acids, but no silicates or phosphates. This formula gives longer life, thus replacing the short-lived silicates and phosphates. Many colors reside in this group. General Motor’s OAT-based DexCool is orange. Volkswagen-Audi has the same formula, but it is pink. Honda has one coolant dyed a dark green, which looks almost black when it is dirty. The corrosion inhibitors in this group are slower acting, but longer lasting. Five years, or 150,000-mile intervals are often recommended in this group of coolants. Group 3 - the group of hybrid OAT coolants called G-05. They do not have 2-EHA but use other organic acids and add a little silicate. Silicate is desired because it provides quick-acting protection for aluminum surfaces. Silicate will also repair minor surface defects. Chrysler, Ford, and many European manufacturers are using these hybrid OATs.

OK, there are lots of coolants and different colors out there. Do you have to replace or can you top off one coolant with another? A truly universal coolant would help matters greatly, Providing the ability to use one coolant for all purposes. To partially refill any color of coolant with a universal one would be a great asset. Its existence would totally dominate the aftermarket in a short time. In my opinion, there is one true universal coolant - the original green stuff. It is the cheapest, it protects and even repairs minor aluminum flaws, and the only inconvenience is its short lifespan (offset by its low cost) with the semiyearly drain and refill. In your local parts store, you will find Group 2 OAT coolant being advertised as universal in its ability to mix with other coolants. This is true, it will mix. But the 150,000-mile advantage deteriorates if you mix it with Group 1 or Group 3. Why pay a higher price to mix red with green or another color only to lose its ability to provide extended life? OAT coolants are not the best choice for systems that have traditional brass/copper radiators and heater cores. In the past, I replaced high-priced aluminum radiators with cheaper copper ones, and neglected to remove all of the OAT coolant and replace it with green. I am sure the copper did not last as long as it should have with OAT antifreeze.

Edited by Tricky-Ricky

Ekona Should start every post (according to context with) " Just when you thought it was safe to mix coolant in your car..... THE SLUDGE!!!", " Just when you thought it was safe to put spacers on your zed..... THE DAMP CORNER!!!!" :snack: Joking aside Ekona is right, flush it out when you can.

Edited by Rock_Steady
  • Like 1