Vortech owners

Bodyboarder81

Who sit's there just listening to their car idle anyway? :shrug:

Apart from the MaxPower/chav brigade sitting in a McD's carpark or similar. I just start mine, put my belt on & off I go. :drive1

Does your vortech sound like a tractor at idle mate?

Concerning reliability and engine damage .... From all the reading I've done on here and the US forum .... Yes a few have gone bang and quite alot have had bad power figures due to the supplied ( carb approved map) mapping from stillen . They also map their cars for 91 obtain .... We have better fuel than them . The ones that have had a proper tune ( on here and US) have done loads of miles with no problems . The stillen kit looks to be a very good supercharger package but it must be fitted (along with essential upgraded components )and mapped perfect to minimise the risks to the engine long term ...... Luckily we have some very good tuners on here who know the vortech kit and zed engines very very well.

I would love to here from a few on here who have had there's charged and how they are getting on ........

But as dan says it is a risk ..... But this can be minimised

Not a vortech owner but have gtm rotrex on my hr. Lost my engine after a few thousand miles, conrod broke. I was running 470bhp at the hubs.

If you modify an engine significantly then you can expect things to wear out quicker or find weak spots in your set up it's a risk you have to accept.

Does your vortech sound like a tractor at idle mate?

No not really but there is obviously a significant change in the way the engine sounds compared to a standard Zed.

the vortech can make a "broken sound" at idle. It normally makes a clunky, rattle where something just sounds broken on the car. To solve that, you might try increasing your idle rpms up to at least 900 rpms. Going to a smaller pulley also helps because they spin the blower faster, even while at idle. A dealer can increase the idle on earlier model cars. There's other ways too like ECU flashes, AAM's Cipher tool, some shops carry Consult II's which is what dealers use, some aftermarket engine managements can raise the idle.

The vortech sounds like a jet engine and is especially noticeable at idle and parking lot speeds. When driving normal, you really don't hear it as much and especially from inside the car. When going WOT, you can hear it but your exhaust will probably be louder

Source here: http://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction/270770-vortech-faq-read-this-before-asking-vortech-questions.html

If you are that worried though about what the car will sound like at idle then maybe this isn't the right thing for you to do. Doesn't bother me as all I wanted was better performance which is what I now have. ;)

If the Vortech made my car sound like a Prius f**king a diesel BMW I'd still do it just for the performance benefits.

Vortech comes with warranty. . . Shame it only counts in the US. As for noise at idle, it's not that nice to begin with and very unusual sounding for a car, but it grew on me. Personally listen to Ekona, he generally speaks the sensible truth, but if your brain hurts when you read his comments, you probably have a problem and should buy a supercharger, or turbo if you are smart and having someone else do the work.

Edited by evilscorp
  • Like 1

The general consensus around the 350 forums is that the hr engines are capeable of handling 500hp standard. The problem you have is these are mass produced engines built to a cost with mass produced parts and unless you have owned yours from new you have no idea of how it has been treated.

Before I had mine done I did allot of research and didn't strengthen the engine on the basis of this, however, I was well aware that this was a risk and knew that running this power long term would eventually lead to a rebuild. Granted it came around a bit quicker than I thought it would.

As far as cost goes it would be allot cheaper to forge before you destroy the engine, the actual cost will depend allot on what you plan to do.

im starting to think that at the end of the day i do love my z and cant see me changing it for a while ive made little changes that have enhanced it being the cobra cbe anti roll bars uprev etc

but i think when the day comes that it no longer dose it for me i should let the z go to somebody that enjoys it for what it is!

and i will move on to something that gives me what im looking for at the time be that more power bigger car more seats ? whatever but the z is a top motor that i would hate to ruin or throw thousands of pounds at because then i think i would start to fall out of love with it

kind of a if it isnt broke dont fix it theory for me on this one now after all the research

to all the fi boys fair play to you you got bigger brass ones than me :surrender::lol:

You have to go into it with you eyes wide open, people ask me why I did it. Comments like "you can get a gtr for that money, or 996 turbo" etc are common, my response is always I'd have done the same to them and if my past car history is anything to go by I'd have had to rebuild their engines too..... I did it because I wanted and now I have an awesome machine that i've put my mark on, I always have and always will, I can't help it I love to mod.....

• Like 4

im starting to think that at the end of the day i do love my z and cant see me changing it for a while ive made little changes that have enhanced it being the cobra cbe anti roll bars uprev etc

but i think when the day comes that it no longer dose it for me i should let the z go to somebody that enjoys it for what it is!

and i will move on to something that gives me what im looking for at the time be that more power bigger car more seats ? whatever but the z is a top motor that i would hate to ruin or throw thousands of pounds at because then i think i would start to fall out of love with it

kind of a if it isnt broke dont fix it theory for me on this one now after all the research

to all the fi boys fair play to you you got bigger brass ones than me :surrender::lol:

That's it ..... If your out so am i !!

By the the sounds of it we both are thinking down the same lines mate :(

I am gutted but I shall still enjoy the zed for what it is .... A great , affordable sports car that sounds great , look great and goes ........ok

Now what to do with my 10k I've got put aside for my supercharger ? I guess not a bad problem to have ;)

Edited by Bodyboarder81

I am gutted but I shall still enjoy the zed for what it is .... A great , affordable sports car that sounds great , look great and goes ........ok

Now what to do with my 10k I've got put aside for my supercharger ? I guess not a bad problem to have ;)

In standard form the car goes great!!

im waiting for ohlins to come up with a set of coils for the 70 ive been told kw are good but ohlins are better after feeling the diffrence the anti roll bars made to the sharpnes and the turn in it would be great to get it set up on rails

as for your 10g keep it safe you never know when you might need it ;)

• Like 1

im waiting for ohlins to come up with a set of coils for the 70 ive been told kw are good but ohlins are better after feeling the diffrence the anti roll bars made to the sharpnes and the turn in it would be great to get it set up on rails

Got a funds for those rainy days .... This is my stupid / childish funds!!

Just bought a bean to cup coffee maker for £1300 .... Down to £8700 in stupid funds :)

Onlins ..... Very nice mate :) a good friend of mine runs them on his Elise , he's always banging on about how good they are !!