Steering wheel brake judder.

Kiwi Paul

Hi guys,

I've an unmodified 2010 370z GT spec.

Not long after buying in last Jan from a Nissan dealer I started to get brake judder through the steering wheel at certain speeds, also dependant on how hard I braked.

They said it had new discs and pads fitted before I bought it. They replaced both front discs and pads again under warranty and all was well....for about a week then the judder gradually returned. Took it back again and this time they replaced the nearside disc under warranty, once again all was well for about a week then gradually it has come back and is getting worse. I've been in touch and taking it back in the new year to get looked at again.

It seems to me the disc keep warping as maybe of inferior quality, I just don't know what else could be causing this. I'm not thrashing it or over heating the brakes, just normal street driving.

Anyone else exerienced this on a stock 370?

Paul

Unfortunately Nissan have no idea how to solve this issue.

I won't say its common but I have fixed several 370`s with this problem.

I am based in Cambridgeshire if I can help.

Thanks,

I'm in Aberdeen so a bit far to go, what is the usual cause of this?

The car is under warranty which is why I'm going back to Nissan, but to be honest I'm not that confident in them.

Disc thickness variation. As tophooker says Nissan won't have a clue. The Aberdeen dealer has been one for all of five minutes, amazes me they just keep chucking discs at it.

As Alex says a dial gauge once a new disc is fitted will highlight there is an issue there.

Well this is my last time with them, the warranty ends 19 Jan anyway. If they can't sort it this time I'll have to bite the bullet and try one of the local Indy's. Clark Motor Sport are close by and a few folk on here have good things to say about them.

What causes the DTV though, the car is ok for a while after new discs are fitted?

The disc runout needs to measured with the wheels on.

Its a given that this will show the disc is not running true when assembled.

Hence why initially it appears to be fixed but after a period of time the judder re appears.

DTV is the outcome,

It is important to find the source of the problem and eliminate rather than just keep fitting new discs.

I fear you are in for a long frustrating time with Nissan.

Gstraw on here had a very similar issue and after about 8 months of frustration with Nissan brought the car down south and I fixed it for him.

Good Luck

Disc thickness variation. As tophooker says Nissan won't have a clue. The Aberdeen dealer has been one for all of five minutes, amazes me they just keep chucking discs at it.

As Alex says a dial gauge once a new disc is fitted will highlight there is an issue there.

Well this is my last time with them, the warranty ends 19 Jan anyway. If they can't sort it this time I'll have to bite the bullet and try one of the local Indy's. Clark Motor Sport are close by and a few folk on here have good things to say about them.

What causes the DTV though, the car is ok for a while after new discs are fitted?

Just realized you are Clark Motor Sport lol, you may be getting a call soon then.

The disc runout needs to measured with the wheels on.

Its a given that this will show the disc is not running true when assembled.

Hence why initially it appears to be fixed but after a period of time the judder re appears.

DTV is the outcome,

It is important to find the source of the problem and eliminate rather than just keep fitting new discs.

I fear you are in for a long frustrating time with Nissan.

Gstraw on here had a very similar issue and after about 8 months of frustration with Nissan brought the car down south and I fixed it for him.

Good Luck

Thanks for the reply.

As I said in my last post, I'll give Nissan one last chance then if it returns call Clark MS and let them sort it.

• 4 weeks later...

TOPHOOKER is the guy to sort this. I drove down from Glasgow and got it sorted from Marcus. I would like Marcus to visit scotland though and do a whole load of cars up here. If you would be interested Marcus let me know and I can try and arrange a few cars in the central belt so a few cars can come and make it worth your while ;)

Or teach me how to do it and I can run your satelite business up here! lol

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Seriously you guys, having had the juddering issue on the 370,Tophooker sorted it out perfectly and quite happy to make the 180 mile odd return trip for that work to be done.

Honestly, if you want it fixed once and for all just make the time to get to Marcus - make a day of it or even stay overnight somewhere to get it done - you will not regret it. :)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

That's me about to collect my 370 with its 3rd set of discs in a year!

I wonder how long these will last.

As I am also in Aberdeen it’s too far for the round trip to Cambridge.

If these ones don't last I will look for aftermarket discs and pads, any recommendations?

Thanks

Lots of jumping to conclusions about DTV here. Nobody has mentioned going out and giving the brakes a good thrashing to ensure the problem isn't just related to build-up... if you're just driving the car on a boring commute to work and the shops and never getting any real heat in to the brakes, I'd start with this before spending money on skimming.

If you are still having issues then just give me a shout as I am just down the road in Perth.

Wont take minutes to check out the pads and get a dial out gauge on your discs to establish exactly what your issue is. :thumbs:

Edit : and of course as Marcus has pointed out wheels and hubs etc require an inspection as well to get to the root cause.

Alex, :)

Edited by ZMANALEX

If these ones don't last I will look for aftermarket discs and pads, any recommendations?

Thanks

Changing to a different manufacturers discs won't give any better results.

You need an investigation on you wheels, hubs etc to establish the cause.

Thanks

You could just be throwing money away if there is an underlining problem that is likely to mean any disc will get distorted. I found the 370 OEM discs perfectly fine for road use and spirited drives so if you are getting through 3 sets of discs in a year you do have a serious problem.......unless you are killing them (and pads) on track.