370z Headlight Modifying **Now Installed Page 3**

ross27

Original message:

Had a spare set of headlights sat in the spare room for around 3-4 months, and finally decided to open them up tonight.

Turns out they were very easy to open, and only used a cardboard box and a heat gun!

Progress will be slow, but i thought i'd start a thread to hear peoples suggestions/views.

The plan is to paint the insides a dark gunmetal colour, keep the shrouds the current colour, and add in halos. Hopefully get something looking like these in the end!

Let me know your thoughts! :thumbs:

20141207_234319_zps3fqrmwfr.jpg

20141207_235002_zpstdgcjnaf.jpg

Ideas:

gm_matte1.jpg

amuse370-albums-pw-nismo-11-picture53593-dual-halos.jpg

Edited by ross27
  • Like 3

Started sanding them down tonight ready for primer/paint.

Halos are on the way from the US, along with some clear projector lenses.

The plan is to use the halos as DRL's, i.e on all the time. However i am going to wire in a controller so i can turn them off too, and also mess about with brightness and flashing effects.

look fab! need to see your car mate. get the cf goodies on! you've had them for ages lol

I know, ive just had so much going on recently ive not found the time! Spoiler is on, but the spats and front lip aren't!

Okay so Halos turned up this morning, along with the LED controller. Had a little play with them, and i cant believe how bright they are!! Controller works perfect, and since its a RF remote control, i dont have to worry about the position of the controller.

Also been sanding the chrome off, which appears to be a very thin coat of paint, as opposed to chrome plating. Comes off very easily. I dare is i am going a bit OTT removing all the chrome, but i want the best job i can do.

Since im going for the dual halos, im also putting a projector lens infront of the indicator, so have some modifications to make to the base for this. Got the clear lenses to swap over the OEM ones.

20141213_163429_zps5jywnj3r.jpg

20141213_163557_zpshlihbydv.jpg

20141213_203140_zpssegqfrax.jpg

20141213_203145_zpsaikyiq9l.jpg

Lights off.

20141213_202221_zpsfljypyom.jpg

Clear lens on the left.

20141213_202424_zps2hc71urn.jpg

OEM lens.

20141213_202458_zpsnlai3tme.jpg

Clear lens.

20141213_203751_zpsshcrbkjj.jpg

20141213_203733_zpsuz55jahz.jpg

20141213_203649_zpsgjqurpt1.jpg

20141213_203659_zpsljpdstb5.jpg

Lots of info and ideas here:

http://www.the370z.c...ly-updated.html

http://www.the370z.com/body-interior-exterior/12044-custom-headlight-paint-lighting-modifications-photos-details-updated-summer-2011-a.html

Would be nice if somebody starts offering this service in UK! If you do, please add me to the list! :)

Edited by octet

Thanks guys.

If it was a case of opening, painting and puting back together, it wouldnt take that long, but there are small mods required to fit the halos that take up loads of time.

Got the paint today, but still not too sure on the shroud colour yet.

Lots of info and ideas here:

http://www.the370z.c...ly-updated.html

http://www.the370z.c...mer-2011-a.html

Would be nice if somebody starts offering this service in UK! If you do, please add me to the list! :)

Hadn't spotted those threads before, thanks :thumbs:

Looking at them, i think i will keep the shrouds a lighter silver.

I want these!

Tbf, I'd just be happy with some black painted internals! What will you use to seal the back up properly?

I'll heat them up to soften the glue, and press them back together. I have bought a spare pack of butyl glue, which i will also work into areas that may be a little sparse.

I want these!

Tbf, I'd just be happy with some black painted internals! What will you use to seal the back up properly?

I'll heat them up to soften the glue, and press them back together. I have bought a spare pack of butyl glue, which i will also work into areas that may be a little sparse.

I see! Is it true that's it's very difficult to get a proper seal back on headlights?

I want these!

I see! Is it true that's it's very difficult to get a proper seal back on headlights?

To be honest, this is the first time ive ever attempted it, but im confident it will all be okay. The glue is not like silicone, or a hard setting glue like a poxy resin. It softens with heat, and when warm, you can manipulate it back into the grooves with little difficulty. Once i do this, if i see any areas that look thin, i'll work a little more into the grooves.

I want these!

To be honest, this is the first time ive ever attempted it, but im confident it will all be okay. The glue is not like silicone, or a hard setting glue like a poxy resin. It softens with heat, and when warm, you can manipulate it back into the grooves with little difficulty. Once i do this, if i see any areas that look thin, i'll work a little more into the grooves.

Good stuff! All the best, look forward to the end result!

Are you spray them yourself or leaving it to a body shop? Does having black interiors effect the light etc

Also, where did you get the spare set from? I would mind giving it a go but not on my own set!

Take care with the new indicator projector lens

One eighty stopped putting the projector lens in the indicator a few years back unless the shrouds are left chrome due to problems with them acting like a magnifying glass and burning the paint in the internals, might just be the higher temps in the southern states though!

Good stuff! All the best, look forward to the end result!

Are you spray them yourself or leaving it to a body shop? Does having black interiors effect the light etc

Also, where did you get the spare set from? I would mind giving it a go but not on my own set!

My brother in law is a panel beater and i did ask him his advice. He suggested a rattle can will be absolutely fine since they are in a sealed housing. Ive took the extra time to sand off all the chrome, so ive got a decent base to start with.

The light output is via a projector lens, rather than a reflector, so there will be no reduction in output. One of the reasons i hate headlight tints/fly eye film.

Picked up a spare set off eBay. Brand new for £300 a unit. They are over a grand each from Nissan!!!

Take care with the new indicator projector lens

One eighty stopped putting the projector lens in the indicator a few years back unless the shrouds are left chrome due to problems with them acting like a magnifying glass and burning the paint in the internals, might just be the higher temps in the southern states though!

I did see people saying that, but was of the opinion we do not get the same temps as the guys in the US. Fingers crossed i dont have any problems, but im taking the chance anyway! :lol:

Just putting the primer down on all the bits tonight.

Edited by ross27
  • Like 1