Importing looks to be more expensive than i thought.

DiMarco

I contacted a Importer on Sunday and just hear from them and they wanted £6000 for the 350Z which I thought was about right. I then said ok I could do something like that then there was a but. It will cost you for the car in total £8000 all duty's and everything paid. I said I could by a low mileage on in the uk for less that £8000 so I will be knocking that on the head.

I bought a Toyota starlet from japan for £3000 now 7 years ago not so good ones were going for that sort of money you had to pay £5000 for a good one. Now I went to a company and said I want a starlet with body kit, wheels, lowered, exhaust and a few other bits. Now they found one and bided for it and it cost me £3000 no more no less. Now this company say regardless on car it will cost you £6000 even if the car was free it would still cost that much so if that is the case I am going to stay away from importing as that is not how I remember it being.

Which importer was it?

As per the other thread people mentioned its not cheap and you are much better off just buying UK. I remember when I was living in Japan about 8 years ago I was getting 240 yen to a £, nothing like that now so outright car cost is going up. Then you have to pay import duty 10%, VAT 20%, shipping (circa £750ish?), port fees, registration, on the road fees including conversions to things like the rear fogs/speedo etc, SVA/MoT.

Edited by coldel

id only import if you want a car that's not available domestically - and the only thing I can think of would be an S15 Silvia, rare as hens teeth over here.

For a zed id definitely just get an unmolested UK car, that way all the dials are in English, indicators are the right way round, no problems with mph/kph conversions, and no added foglight switch or random card reader.

yeah you are possibly right here I will have a think and see what happens but it will probably be a UK model. I thought they might do a deal as my brother was looking to import also so that would be 2 cars they would get in one go.

I have also emailed JM-import and Torque GT just waiting on a response.

Edited by DiMarco

• 1 month later...

Can always search opjp on Facebook theyre a import service that help try and get your car to the U.K. for as cheap as they can provide and if you want to do some work yourself they even talk you through the process so if you have this time can even save you some money!

Jurgen at jm imports is a ledge! My friend nows him really well, if you have a figure in your head and really want a Zed just tell him both and he will be more than happy to look! If he really can't find what your looking for it's as simple as that lol

My next car is coming from JM when ever that might be!