Leaving car outside

chrisday1990

seriously I have never liked the thought of my baby sitting outside suffering all cold with ice, snow and freezing rain.

The thought of sitting there every morning warming it up for 10-15 mins whilst it thaws out surely can't be good on a regular basis.

Engines of old especially diesel trucks that we had in the Army could get condensation in the bores.

Or so we were led to believe.

In WW11 it would be a death sentence in the Russian army to turn an engine off on a tank or truck.

• Like 1

Some people say that garages can be damp and do more harm than good. I never understood that - knock a few air holes low down through the walls, surely? Ideally you'd have a car port for it to dry in if you arrive home in the rain. Then park it up.

The real problem is how easy it is to knock a rake, a tin of paint, a bike or something onto the poor jalopy. :rant:

If you have a big fat garage get it in there - on a bed of those packs of salt you get in new shoes.

• Like 1

Just do not cover it with a tarpaulin or other non breathable cover. I ruined an immaculate TR7V8 by covering it with a tarpaulin over the winter when it was parked on a shingle over hogging drive. On sunny winter days the tarpaulin acts like a greenhouse and moisture rises. At night it condenses. Result pools of standing water on the V8 , corrosion everywhere, ruined electrics and I could go on. Better with a draught blowing round it and possibly a good waxing to protect the paint from water/UV.

• Like 1

I keep mine on the drive and have done for 4 years with no problems? :)

Mine has spent one night under cover since I've had it almost 8 years now. I had my RS Turbo for 11 years from 1989, never garaged it and it's still showing as registered on The DVLA site.

Pete

• Like 2

Get a Halfords all seasons car cover. They're not bad at all for the money. As long as the car is clean before you put it on they work well. :)

I have just bought one on your recommendation, and so far so good. :thumbs:

Can't wait for my new garage to be built though.

• Like 1

Am I the only person who just shoves their Z on a drive, doesn't use a cover and does drive it (almost) everyday, rain or shine?

It's a modern, mass produced, jap car and as such, should be treated like any other normal car! It doesn't need a lullaby, a blanket or a cuddle at night, it doesn't need a week off between uses and it works perfectly well in wet, windy, foggy and even snowy weather. Stop wrapping your car in cotton wool (and weatherproof breathable covers from Halfords) and just go drive the bloody thing!

• Like 12

Am I the only person who just shoves their Z on a drive, doesn't use a cover and does drive it (almost) everyday, rain or shine?

It's a modern, mass produced, jap car and as such, should be treated like any other normal car! It doesn't need a lullaby, a blanket or a cuddle at night, it doesn't need a week off between uses and it works perfectly well in wet, windy, foggy and even snowy weather. Stop wrapping your car in cotton wool (and weatherproof breathable covers from Halfords) and just go drive the bloody thing!

Nope, there's me too!

Tried car covers before, and what do you do with a soaking wet bundle of material when you go want to go out?

• Like 1

Mine`s just been on the drive from new. It`s not just a weekend ride but dosen`t get used everyday - retired now and when I did work I mostly went on the bike. I was a bit concerned about leaving it outside especially whilst we`re away on holiday but can`t be doing with the getting it out of the garage and then putting it back in the garage every time it`s used/just to nip to the shops and, in any case, with the bike in one garage and the MGF in the other there`s no room so no choice really (and no arguing with the wife as to who`s goes in).

• Like 1

I once drove my car around with an umbrella over it to stop it getting wet, and then I realised there was all dirty particles in the air so I covered in in a hazmat suit, then I thought about all the people staring at me and I realised they wanted to kill me so I went home and put my tinfoil hat of protection on now nothing can get me.

• Like 2