number plate retentions

AK350Z

I've read the DVLA website, and understand all the parts about retaining the current plate, but it doesn't mention anything about getting an age related one to replace it, do you just have to buy one from the DVLA? What order do you do it in?

We had a new car with a personalised plate issued from day one, when we sold it the plate is put on retention, but as the vehicle was a 62 plate it was given a new 62 plate from DVLA, it will be a Swansea area No. not one from your local area.

We had a new car with a personalised plate issued from day one, when we sold it the plate is put on retention, but as the vehicle was a 62 plate it was given a new 62 plate from DVLA, it will be a Swansea area No. not one from your local area.

That's different: You gave them a registration number to assign to it. I think AK350Z is trying to remove the original dated plate from the car (so AB55 CED), which the DVLA will no longer let you do.

Same thing, you keep whatever is on the car (eg AB55CED) - on retention, and they assign an age related plate. But it will be from the DVLA Swansea list, so won't be area related.

Edited by Shenley

Urgh, thats a bit of an arse then. FYI The plate is actually a Northern irish one, but we did properly register it with the English DVLA when we brought it over.

I guess we could just fill the forms in and see if it works? Assuming the fee isn't lost anyway.

I know you USED to be able to, and I remember them talking about stopping it because people were getting bogus MOT's and tax etc on really old cars to get the old style plates off them. I don't remember anything actually coming of it though, however, as it never affected me I didn't follow it religiously :)

The answer!

Called the DVLA, navigated the menu and got amazingly got straight through to a nice welsh lady. Its game on! you can retain any plate, doesn't have to be private or anything, they will just issue another age related one.

Happy days.

Dan, commence memory bank update :)

• Like 4

The answer!

Called the DVLA, navigated the menu and got amazingly got straight through to a nice welsh lady. Its game on! you can retain any plate, doesn't have to be private or anything, they will just issue another age related one.

Happy days.

Dan, commence memory bank update :)

whats the fee - 'cos at some point i'm likely to do that - the issued plates match my childrens innitials