best power gains ??

danners546

I'v been wanting to have a plenum spacer and remap done for a while now and I'm pretty set on going to abby motor-sport for the map but iv seen that you generally get around a 10hp gain. I have been thinking about getting a set of cams but I don't know much on the subject. has anyone else had cams fitted and have any info on there affect ?

Then you haven't ;)

Ditch the pads for DS2500, and definitely get rid of those horrible tyres! Either go 888 or MPSS, and then change the suspension for something adjustable if you still have cash left over. I'd also recommend a track-biased geo from someone who knows what they're doing, if you haven't already.

If you can't stomach all that, then £500 on driver training will have you going much faster than an extra 10bhp will :)

• Like 5

Then you haven't ;)

Ditch the pads for DS2500, and definitely get rid of those horrible tyres! Either go 888 or MPSS, and then change the suspension for something adjustable if you still have cash left over. I'd also recommend a track-biased geo from someone who knows what they're doing, if you haven't already.

If you can't stomach all that, then £500 on driver training will have you going much faster than an extra 10bhp will :)

Spot on!

Plenum spacer, better panel air filter, HFC's or De-Cats, full aftermarket exhaust system and then get the UpRev remap done is the way most people go for a little more power with the Zed.

Won't see massive gains but you will see an improvement in performance. ;)

As Dan mentions though sometimes better tyres, suspension setup, brakes and driver training can in fact get you faster then you where before.

If you can I highly recommend the Ferodo DS2500 brake pads as they are a much better pad than those EBC green stuff pads you are currently running.

You could of course buy some cams for the Zed but honestly haven't read of anyone doing just cams alone, ...usually it's done on a built engine and then it does make a big difference overall especially if you are talking about an increased rev limit as well.

You could spend £3k on stuff to make it go faster and then remap it and make 20bhp if you're lucky, or spend £1.5k more and SC the car.

But as ekona has pointed out, the mods you really need to do are not power but handling.

Cost's a little bit more than that. :dry:

£3600 will get you the Vortech V3SCi kit from Tarmac Sportz yes but then there is so much more you will need before you can get the Zed supercharged. Even if you fit the kit yourself and get some parts secondhand you'll still exceed £4.5K easily imo. ;)

Hi,

I have done a number of track days myself. The best mod I have done so far was to change the tyres to Michelin Pilot super sport tyres, reduced my laps times by a few seconds. My previous tyres were Continental sport contact three which were poor and melted after a few laps. The next best thing is to up-grade the brakes. It means you can carry more speed into bends. The last thing to do is increase the power of your engine, no point in doing it first if the rest of your car,especially if your tyres can't handle it.

power makes you faster on the straights. Brakes make you faster into the corners.

Tyres make you better on the brakes, faster through the corners, and can get on the power earlier out the corners.

Adding lightness makes you faster on the straights, better on the brakes, and faster through the corners, especially on direction changes.

trust me, power is nice, but decent tyres and decent brakes will make you a lot faster round a track than an extra 10hp on an already powerful car.

a very easy and cheap mod is to lighten the car before you go on track. some strip things like the spare wheel and some trim. others are more extreme and remove anything non essential.

zeds biggest issue as a track car is she is a fat girl. she's a great GT car, but a fat track car.

• Like 1

I'v been wanting to have a plenum spacer and remap done for a while now and I'm pretty set on going to abby motor-sport for the map but iv seen that you generally get around a 10hp gain. I have been thinking about getting a set of cams but I don't know much on the subject. has anyone else had cams fitted and have any info on there affect ?

lol, poor bloke asks about cams then gets suspension and tyres down his throat. :)

I've not fitted cams on the Z. But theres a US mag that have fitted a set and dynoed.

They fitted the Jim Wolf cams, a warm cam with 260deg duration. The dyno shows the typical kind of loss and gain pivot. although they do state the ECU wasnt tuned.

Have a little read.

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/ID/3407/Project-350Z-Testing-Jim-Wolf-Technology-C2-Camshafts.aspx

Pritchard

• 1 month later...

Then you haven't ;)

Hello.

Do you have any suggestions for driving schools in South of England?

Cheers

Viper Gas

Depends where, but I'd happily recommend www.carlimits.com with Andy Walsh, the driest Welshman you'll ever meet (in terms of humour, definitely not alcohol) but he'll teach you things you didn't think you could do. Can't recommend him enough.