New project..... Datsun 240z

grahamc

240z goes into bodyshop this week and the whole project will begin :)

What is everyones thoughts on rollcages in these cars? Im considering a 4 point cage for impact resistance, harness bar and some added rigidity.

6 point minimum IMO - 4 point is either a rear cage or a roll bar - the (ever ongoing / on hold Mini project for my daughter) we put a 6 point FIA approved cage with the added diagonals and door bars.

But it depends what you want it for - to make the car stiffer for handling and to give a mount for harnesses a 4 point will do that - to keep you shaken but not stirred in a major off then go 6 at least ;)

EDIT: PS Watching with intrest - great project :thumbs:

Usage will be mostly road, spirited driving, some track use (but not really flatout type of driving), etc.

I dont want the cage interfering with the front of the car for getting in/out and just because I will see it. I also think a front cage will detract in the event of a future sale.

Harness, rigidity and some additional impact/rollover protection is good enough (I hope!).

Then rear half / 4 point should do all you need :thumbs:

I just like having an FIA approved cage round me when I'm on track - mainly cause I have fast cars but I'm not a very good driver ;):lol:

• Like 1

240z goes into bodyshop this week and the whole project will begin :)

What is everyones thoughts on rollcages in these cars? Im considering a 4 point cage for impact resistance, harness bar and some added rigidity.

6 point minimum IMO - 4 point is either a rear cage or a roll bar - the (ever ongoing / on hold Mini project for my daughter) we put a 6 point FIA approved cage with the added diagonals and door bars.

But it depends what you want it for - to make the car stiffer for handling and to give a mount for harnesses a 4 point will do that - to keep you shaken but not stirred in a major off then go 6 at least ;)

EDIT: PS Watching with intrest - great project :thumbs:

Usage will be mostly road, spirited driving, some track use (but not really flatout type of driving), etc.

I dont want the cage interfering with the front of the car for getting in/out and just because I will see it. I also think a front cage will detract in the event of a future sale.

Harness, rigidity and some additional impact/rollover protection is good enough (I hope!).

Then rear half / 4 point should do all you need :thumbs:

I just like having an FIA approved cage round me when I'm on track - mainly cause I have fast cars but I'm not a very good driver ;):lol:

Not a very good driver - Please remind me of that next time I go out in one of your cars :lol:

• Like 1

Small update

The car is now at the bodyshop, I am at Silverstone this weekend in the GTR, so wont be able to make it down, but will be down next weekend. Will take some photos then

Have ordered some new bumpers, arch flares and fender mirrors.... so far, only the mirrors have arrived however I only ordered the bumpers and flares late last week :)

Speaking to customCages and SafetyDevices about cages for the car.

• Like 1

Looks as if the 240's are back in fashion, watching with great interest.

Where are you sourcing your parts from Graham?

:)

US and UK so far, but not needed a great deal of parts yet, expect that to change once it starts to go back together.

US and UK so far, but not needed a great deal of parts yet, expect that to change once it starts to go back together.

Ahahaha thats what I thought, initially my list consisted of:

new bushes

front shocks

UK head lights

UK tail lights

wheels

& now it has gone totally out of control :wacko:

new bushes

front shocks

UK head lights

UK tail lights

wheels

I am quite honestly expecting that..... may need to steal your list of parts that you just ordered ;)

new bushes

front shocks

UK head lights

UK tail lights

wheels

I am quite honestly expecting that..... may need to steal your list of parts that you just ordered ;)

Come & have a look if you like, I guess your fairly local to me as I've seen your car @ Sly's place :thumbs:

new bushes

front shocks

UK head lights

UK tail lights

wheels

Come & have a look if you like, I guess your fairly local to me as I've seen your car @ Sly's place :thumbs:

Will PM

I have just been informed that work has started on the 240z :eek:

I have decided against the rollcage for now and the main reason for this was that the missus drove the GTR around Silverstone GP circuit on a recent track day and now wants a track car (more on this later)..... so the 240z is purely for pleasure and fun!!!!

I have ordered some fender mirrors, bumpers and arch flares and now looking at wheels... Rota RKR is the style I want, but completely lost on the sizes and offsets (especially with the flares).

• Like 1