I'm a way of saying thank you,

To every one of you.

I am a simple poppy

A Reminder to you all,

That courage faith and honour,

Will stand where heroes fall.

Someone ought to forward that to FIFA the idiots. :rant:

• Like 2

This thread started as a tribute to those that gave the ultimate sacrifice, let's keep it that way pleasse, if you want to discuss the ins and outs of the poppy being a political statement then start another thread and let this one be what it was meant for. Thank you.

• Like 5

The Poppy has been appropriated by the political classes for the last decade to sustain & celebrate the savagery of war and it is definitely a political symbol, one that appeals to jingoism, racism and occasionally people who genuinely want to show their respects to the dead of both wars.

Wear one if you like, it doesn't bother me, just spare me the platitudes about 'sacrifices' and Britain being some kind of martyr to Europe when after the last year it's clear the UK doesn't give a @*!# about Europe or its people. The family who started the war sacrificed ****-all, instead boy was set against boy so that men without courage could expand their empires. George, William & Nicky. The fact this comes up every year saddens me just as much as thinking of the needless loss of life on both sides.

What a load of Bull.... :yawn:

I am not a badge of honour,

I am not a racist smear,

I am not a fashion statement,

To be worn but once a year,

I am not glorification

Of conflict or of war.

I am not a paper ornament

A token,

I am more.

I am a loving memory,

Of a father or a son,

A permanent reminder

Of each and every one.

Im paper or enamel

I'm old or shining new,

I'm a way of saying thank you,

To every one of you.

I am a simple poppy

A Reminder to you all,

That courage faith and honour,

Will stand where heroes fall.

Someone ought to forward that to FIFA the idiots. :rant:

Very well said Whackywill and Foydbax :poppy:

Ive not been myself but Caernarfon castle are doing a display similar to the Tower of London a couple of years back.

Just had a look for that, not the best picture but you can see what they've done nicely. ;)

4.jpg

Yeah some friends have been, I've not had chance as it's a bit out of the way for me but it looks impressive.

• 1 year later...

Here was one I tried tae post in 2014, however I didn’t have the broadband tae get it through.  I’ve been prompted tae post this, as I’m marching in the Centenary Cenotaph Parade, this year tae mark the 100th anniversary since the end of WW1.

i couldn’t get it attached as a pm, to an admin earlier in a pm, please support our veterans, I’m one, who thankfully doesn’t need much support, you are all truly in a good place, thanks to our conviction, suffering and dedication.

please give generously ta

(Just to add, I marched the combined UK force in KAF round to the Remembrance service conducted by Prince Harry and the then, Defence Secretary, Michael Fallon, when wearing this, later, I had lunch with Prince Harry B))

1544A21B-DC97-4410-86CE-EDEC1E24F267.jpeg

Edited by The G Man
Additional info