Boot too small so stripped out & re-trimmed. Now Huge!

flyboy

• 5 months later...

Just following this post again, looks good with the wheel removed and retrimmed, does anybody have an image of the size of the boot space with the wheel fitted in, as factory fitment. :)

Not all 370z's come with a spare wheel, some just a can of tire repair foam. In that instance there's a sealed Bose sub containing 2 x 6.5" subs, filling the space a spare wheel would go. Here's a link to images http://www.luxurytestdrive.com/pruebas/coches/prueba-nissan-370z-2013-galeria-imagenes-interior#

This is awesome!! Do you have any build pics along the way? I would likely keep the Sub but maybe mount it do one side. Is that all one piece of carpet? or a few bits shaped for the side, bottom etc. Great work mate :)

All one bit of carpet, with sound deadening underneath.

No build pics as there is really nothing to it.

Take everything (including all the plastic trim) out move the alarm sounder to one side and use an existing bolt to re fix it,

Spot drill out the welds holding the spare wheel bracket. This gives you a flat floor to go at.

Then chuck a bit of carpet in there and cut it to fit use carpet tape to hold it in place, lap it up the sides under where the plastic trim will go back, and Bobs your mom's brother.

I have put a smaller (Under seat) sub woofer back in the boot by moving the bose amp across slightly to make room.

Its under the shelf thing in spaces usually filled with polystyrene blocks.

Ill get a photo up when it stops raining.

Edited by flyboy

• 10 months later...

That looks awesome,as for having no spare don't worry about it I reckon about 75% of all cars manufactured these days comes with the foam stuff (WHICH DOES NOT WORK).I work for the AA as a patrol and we all carry universal spares that fit 80% of the vehicles on the road and yes I have already checked the AA Multi fit spare fits on the 350s and 370s not that I expect to ever fit one to a Zed in the last 12yrs I have only been to one Zed and that was for a flat battery(lack of use).

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Great work there! Where did you get the carpet? was it from nissan or just like regular carpet shop?

its from an automotive trimming shop so its plastic backed which will take a shape with a heat gun.

2m x 1m for about a tenner

• 1 month later...

morning flyboy, if you go to members build projects and check out me under the yellow project, you will get pictures.

I have stripped out boot and lined it with roadkill, I am keeping the centre fixing for the bose woofer and will just build up the base with 32mm acoustic cloth from ebay.

my plan is to put yellow boot carpet down,plastic panels are a bit duff with previous owner jamming things in boot, so maybe cover them with grey car cloth to match.

then I am going to velcrow the 370z matt , which is brand new, and it will attach behind seats ,saving the need for a plywood shelf and give the yellow / black two tone look.

my car is a 2009 370z, I will be interested in any other stuff you are doing. :teeth::D;)

• 1 year later...

Apologies to revive an old thread but only just seen it and had a stupid question. Really impressed by how much bigger the boot looks. But looks like it’s 370z.

So question is, can a similar result be achieved on the 350z? Didn’t think there was that much space within the spare wheel compartment bit might be wrong. Looked like it went very much deeper in the 370z!

Cheers

5 hours ago, hotrain69 said:

Apologies to revive an old thread but only just seen it and had a stupid question. Really impressed by how much bigger the boot looks. But looks like it’s 370z.

So question is, can a similar result be achieved on the 350z? Didn’t think there was that much space within the spare wheel compartment bit might be wrong. Looked like it went very much deeper in the 370z!

Cheers

350 will do the same if you remove the spare wheel and the side foam bits (inc tools + amp)

42 minutes ago, OnlyAfro said:

350 will do the same if you remove the spare wheel and the side foam bits (inc tools + amp)

Cheers :thumbs:

Now need to decide how much I want to do this as I'll be useless at trying to do it myself :lol:

Anyone actually done this in their 350z?