Veeg33's slow dose of Zeditus......

veeg33

Fitted new clutch slave (StopTech supplied by Torqen) and HEL braided hose today. Clutch pedal only returned half way for the past 2 weeks, issue only started when car is hot. When the mechanic replaced the slave, he noticed quite a bit of water in the system. I guess my issue is combination of salve cylinder on its way out and also water in the system. All sorted now, clutch pedal feels more solid now probably thanks to the braided hose. 

Most importantly, managed to see this beauty 350z again at L&G Manchester. @HEADPHONES looking superb under the morning sun!!! Paint doesn't age at all...!! B)

IMG_20190524_101741.jpg

IMG_20190524_101429.jpg

IMG_20190524_101253.jpg

Edited by veeg33

In not so good news this week (yesterday) , my zed got bumped by a contractor's van whilst I wan at work in works carpark. Lucky he did the honourable thing by not running away and went to reception to look for me. Exchanged details and I've started the insurance process. I tempted to sort it out outside of insurance but the guy insisted to claim it via insurance. My concern is insurance company writing my car off due to repair cost more than certain percentage of my zed's book value. Evaluation engineer is coming over next week Tuesday to assess the damage. Hopefully not a write off. I'll very likely to buy it back of they write it off. 

He (white van :bang::surrender:) parked next to me, drove out of the spot and hit my front right. I assumed he wasn't looking and aware my zed is next to his! I parked there before he does hence no excuse of not noticing me :scare: anyway, damage is done and he's very apologetic. My wheels actually moved as a result of this impact (I had my wheels straight, parallel to rear wheels when i left the car, image below shows the movement). Checked all the mechanism n tracking this morning at L&G and been given the all good, phew.... I also have to postpone my time at bodyshop as I've booked my zed in for rear and front driver side rust on the arches sorted. 

IMG_20190523_105323.jpg

IMG_20190523_105459.jpg

IMG_20190523_105456.jpg

IMG_20190523_105247.jpg

IMG_20190523_105240.jpg

Edited by veeg33
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, veeg33 said:

In not so good news this week (yesterday) , my zed got bumped by a contractor's van whilst I wan at work in works carpark. Lucky he did the honourable thing by not running away and went to reception to look for me. Exchanged details and I've started the insurance process. I tempted to sort it out outside of insurance but the guy insisted to claim it via insurance. My concern is insurance company writing my car off due to repair cost more than certain percentage of my zed's book value. Evaluation engineer is coming over next week Tuesday to assess the damage. Hopefully not a write off. I'll very likely to buy it back of they write it off. 

He (white van :bang::surrender:) parked next to me, drove out of the spot and hit my front right. I assumed he wasn't looking and aware my zed is next to his! I parked there before he does hence no excuse of not noticing me :scare: anyway, damage is done and he's very apologetic. My wheels actually moved as a result of this impact (I had my wheels straight, parallel to rear wheels when i left the car, image below shows the movement). Checked all the mechanism n tracking this morning at L&G and been given the all good, phew.... I also have to postpone my time at bodyshop as I've booked my zed in for rear and front driver side rust on the arches sorted. 

IMG_20190523_105323.jpg

IMG_20190523_105459.jpg

IMG_20190523_105456.jpg

IMG_20190523_105247.jpg

IMG_20190523_105240.jpg

Really feel for you hope it gets sorted soon 

• Like 1

Sorry to hear this, rough luck. The wheel somehow must have took the brunt of the force as I'd have expected to see the bumper on the floor before the steering (dry) moved that much. 

Good about the clutch at least for now.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, veeg33 said:

My concern is insurance company writing my car off due to repair cost more than certain percentage of my zed's book value. Evaluation engineer is coming over next week Tuesday to assess the damage. Hopefully not a write off. I'll very likely to buy it back of they write it off. 

I've just had my rear bumper and the fixing brackets replaced through my insurance company after being rear ended, the garage told me that the bill was £1650 plus a courtesy car for a week with no issues about the cars value (05- 350Z).

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, NeeZ said:

I've just had my rear bumper and the fixing brackets replaced through my insurance company after being rear ended, the garage told me that the bill was £1650 plus a courtesy car for a week with no issues about the cars value (05- 350Z).

Good to know, thanks. 

12 hours ago, SHEZZA said:

Sorry to see this veeg. On the plus side you’ll get the front wing sorted on the insurance ! I’d want a complete new wing to totally prevent the return of any rust. 

Yep, if they can get a new wing. Else when they fix that, they'll need to sort out the rust too as the accident damage is just around 4cm away. 

• 3 weeks later...

Still awaiting 'engineer' s' report to be submitted to my solicitor, it is almost 3 weeks since he came! He spent less than 5 minutes looking at the damage and took some pics yet can't produce a report in 3 weeks. Very slow! 

In another news, my rear driver arch is now sorted, no more rust and full of wax B)

IMG_20190603_093334.jpg

IMG_20190603_093347.jpg

IMG_20190603_093342.jpg

Since the zed is in, got him to sort out the front headlights too, sanded down and sprayed with clear coat..... Nearly as good as new. No more home DIY sanding, buffing and sealing again for next couple of years. 

And I wash n waxed my zed to give it a complete new look B)

IMG_20190610_160616.jpg

IMG_20190610_070812.jpg

IMG_20190610_070821.jpg

• 1 month later...

Zed is back from the bodyshop with a new front driver wing, refurb front driver wheel and full front bumper respray including the lip/splitter. They also polished the whole car B) Collected my car last Friday but the gap between headlight and front bumper is big ish (noticeable), took it back in Monday morning to sort it out. Can't be any more happier! 

IMG_20190712_172935.jpg

IMG_20190712_172908.jpg

IMG_20190712_172914.jpg

IMG_20190712_173058.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, MONKEYSOCKS said:

Looking good mate, seen your z at lockwood before when mine was in for service, where did you get the body work done if you don't mind me asking? 

Local bodyshop in Huddersfield called GW Bodyshop. Insurance company wants to send me to a bodyshop in Bradford but I told them to use my local bodyshop as this is just opposite my work. 

• 2 years later...

Not mod related but swapped both cam covers today as a found cylinder no6 leaking when I was trying to diagnose misfiring issue with my zed. Research shows that oil in no6 cylinder is always due to oil seal on the cam cover have given up. Unfortunately, the oil seal is moulded into the cam covers hence it needs drilling out to replace. A new seal kit cost about £230 (all 6 seals). I can't be asked to drill them out when I can buy full set of cam covers + seals + shiny new bolts from Zmanalex for only £250 delivered next day.

This is my first major DIY on the zed. Did some research on YouTube and found 2 good detailed video on how to swap them covers off. I must say these 2 videos gave me a lot of info on what to do and to look for.

Started at 9am this morning, removing bolts, nuts, connectors and hose clips. I bagged them in freezer bags and labeled them. I even added detailing tapes on the upper plenum to number the bolt sequence and labeled each bolt that comes out of it to make life a whole lot easier when I assemble them back on. Got all the torque spec and sequence from Nicoclub.com. Printed out the pages I need for torque spec and sequence for plenum and cam covers. Specific instructions to add RTV silicon on the front corner (mentioned in YouTube video and also in the service manual).

I'm happy that the cams are very clear, no sign of dirty oil or gunks. I should had taken more pics when the covers are off but can't be asked as I'm more interested in getting it done and get out of the sun.

4hrs in total, stopped for lunch after both new covers are on.

Key on and happy to see no leakage anywhere but disappointed that the engine is still misfiring 🤦🏻‍♂️. Drove it around to burn any oil that's managed to drop into the combustion chamber from the leak but doesn't seems too make any difference. As Zmanalex always says - back to basic. Hence unplugging one coil pack at a time to find the offending cylinder. Started with no5 and no charge in engine tone. But when is was plugged back in, the misfiring stopped. Connector! Got my contact cleaner out, gave it a good clean. Reassembled it, stopped the misfiring and thought it is just a bad connection. Drove it out for a test run, it the first pot hole (not a big one, just some sh**t road in my estate that they had not resurface after they finished off all the new builds, bloody 5 year now!) And it started to misfire again. Stopped by road side to give it a wiggle and the misfiring stopped. Biggest fear at that time - please not a faulty male connector on the harness side, it will be a pain to repair. 

lucky I bought a new coil pack just incase no6 was damaged when oil is pooling in it. Swapped no5 out and thank God it was a faulty coil pack female connector.

Took it out for a test drive. Driven about 15 mins. So far so good 🤞. Left the zed to idle for 10mins when I return home whilst I tidy up all my tools. Running normal and hopefully that's now done. 😎

IMG-20210717-WA0014.jpg

• Like 3

Well done that man, kept at it and sorted it in the end. Imagine the bill you'd have been into having gone to a garage for repair. Good garage: investigation, x1 coil pack and labour. Bad garage investigation, extended investigation, cam covers, spark plugs, x6 coil packs and labour. Way home, EML on due to vacuum leak.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, davey_83 said:

Well done that man, kept at it and sorted it in the end. Imagine the bill you'd have been into having gone to a garage for repair. Good garage: investigation, x1 coil pack and labour. Bad garage investigation, extended investigation, cam covers, spark plugs, x6 coil packs and labour. Way home, EML on due to vacuum leak.

I guess that's the price to pay if you don't know a good honest mechanic.

• 2 weeks later...

One issue after the other. Drove to McD 2 weeks ago on a nice hot summer afternoon for drive thru 🤦🏻‍♂️ noticed the air con isn't cold anymore and engine temp starts to climb. Lucky the queue wasn't bad, managed to pick up my order and start driving again. Temp drops back down immediately. Thought I might have some air pockets in the cooling system as I've removed the cooling pipe from the plenum to swap out the rocker cover. Got home and popped the bonnet to have a look at coolant level in the expansion tank, seems to have dropped from Max and about 0.5cm from Min. I also suspected the cooling fans aren't working.

Did a search on the forum, found a cheat code to check them fans. The auto test which I only found out 2 weeks ago. Test confirmed that both my cooling fans are not working.

Whilst looking down into the fan, I also noticed the AC fan belt needs replacing. Thought I'll sort out both at the same time.

Another quick forum search shows that I could refurb both motors myself.

Drive up some wooden planks to get some clearance to jack the zed up and found that I can get away with only having an one jack to get under the zed. Removed some of the bolts that's holding the bottom tray, and again I can get away without removing the whole tray.

Removed the cooling fan assembly, plenty of video on YouTube to guide and I can confirm that it isn't possible to not remove the coolant hose from the radiator. I used some cling film (triple layer) + a rubber band to stopped the coolant from pouring out. I think all in I probably loose about 200ml or less.

Took both motors out, marking them with marker pen to avoid mixing them up. I think the motor is the same, but them fan blades aren't. I found this out as I've mixed them. As anything rotating, I always give it a spin with hand to confirm clearance. If you have it other way round, one will rub, one will be ok.

Whilst the assembly is out, plenty of space for me to swap out both belts. Pretty easy to swap out, loosen the tensioner pulley and slacken the tensioner bolt. Same on both belts. Off the old, in goes the new in 15 to mins or so.

Upon opening up the motor, I found all them 'carbon tabs' (not sure what's the actual name' are sticked within the slider. I'm not a motor expert but just some knowledge of how motor works. The spring should be pushing the 'tabs' onto the rotor. I have to push them out with a little screwdriver. I noticed the carbon tabs have split in the middle hence I guess why it is not clearing the housing and allowing the spring to push them.

Lucky them tabs are pretty easy to sand, just a quick two to three passes with the sand paper gives it enough clearance. Did the same on all 4 tabs, some contact cleaner to clean it up. Next I clean the rotor, full of carbon deposit on it, just some sand paper and again contact cleaner at the end.

A bit of hammer action to seal the motor assembly back. Reassembled them on the the cage and back into the zed for a test. Again, I'm using the auto test to check them fans........😎 Success, both fans working great, both Hi and Lo fans are working.

Assembled everything back, added some engine coolant (recommend to buy direct from Nissan stealership, but they are pretty cheap £7.15 per ltr).

Did the coolant bleeding procedure, took me around 25mins.

All sorted in about 3hrs including bleeding.

Hopefully that's the end of the issues for now.

DSC_0399.JPG

DSC_0400.JPG

DSC_0398.JPG

DSC_0395.JPG

DSC_0401.JPG