Quite Worried - Engine Chatter / Rattle at High Speeds

allaboutthepasty

So I was out in the Zed yesterday and a loud rattle/chatter seems to have appeared. It's a 03 GT with 66K on the clock, original clutch and flywheel. It happened as soon as I hit 80 in 6th. I cannot tell if it's in the engine or not, but definitely up front somewhere. It is not dependent on revs, just speed as when I put it in a low gear and get the revs to 5-6k, it's fine. There's no loss of power or anything, just an awful racket which disappears once I ease off.

Had a quick look under the car but nothing looks dislodged. I'm going to get it on the stands tomorrow and have a proper scout about, so I'm just wondering if there's any common problematic things I should look out for?

What ^ he said up there, check your oil level, if it's low you might not be too late, mine did this a while ago, took over 3 litres to bring it back to the right level, been totally fine ever since. I check it all the time now I'm paranoid about it.

It happened as soon as I break the law in 6th.

Fixed ;)

Can you please show me where in my post I said I was doing 80 on a public road? :blush:

I'll do an oil check tomorrow. It's never lost any oil since I've had it and it wasn't all that long ago I checked it. It's strange, it's not like a chatter that matches revs etc... Just a clunking rattle type sound.

I'll check the tray as it is pretty haggard and wheel liners. Really hope it's not the engine seeing as one of the main reasons I opted for a Zed was due to it having a 3.5 litre bombproof lump :dry:

Really hope it's not the engine seeing as one of the main reasons I opted for a Zed was due to it having a 3.5 litre bombproof lump :dry:

Fyi ~ Don't think anyone has made an engine yet in existence that is bombproof if you don't put oil in it. ;)

Hopefully it's not that serious though.

It happened as soon as I break the law in 6th.

Fixed ;)

Can you please show me where in my post I said I was doing 80 on a public road? :blush:

The fact that you are defending the statement confirms it

Haha ok, I will stop feeding the troll.

Really hope it's not the engine seeing as one of the main reasons I opted for a Zed was due to it having a 3.5 litre bombproof lump :dry:

Fyi ~ Don't think anyone has made an engine yet in existence that is bombproof if you don't put oil in it. ;)

Hopefully it's not that serious though.

Just checked oil level, absolutely fine. Thought it would be the case as bought the car last December, regularly checked the oil which never dropped, before I serviced it in May, again, never dropping as I regularly checked. I'm not that special as to starve my engine.

Had a poke around, very slight bit of play in the radiator and it's in need of new belts at the front which I'm ordering today. You can push the arch liners back a bit but I assume this is normal. Will lift the car today but if I can't see anything obvious I'm stumped.

I'm correct in thinking anything clutch / flywheel related would be more dependent on revs than speed? Big end also? Could it be anything steering / suspension related? Anything I can look out for?

Had a look underneath as best I could and nothing was drastically hanging down. It isn't in the best condition as I found out during its last service. Previous owner removed the heat shields I think. I'm being harassed by the girlfriend to go out for a sunday roast so may not get a chance to have a proper look today. Will keep you updated though and thanks for the suggestions.

It's put my mind at ease for a bit for now seeing as nobody has chipped in with anything such as "engine failure" :) I was dreading the comment from Alex regarding replacement engines for £1200 good to go! I hope I end up only having to pay him for service items this month. :happy:

Sorry Zed forum. Undertray had come away in one corner and made a proper racket when i knocked it about. I will try not to worry too much next time!

3.5 litre bombproof engine stays bombproof! Very glad.

The DE engine is better than the HR in my opinion having had both.. the latter not quite bomb proof from experience!

• Like 1