BMW M135i

benjy88

Anyone tried one of these new M135i jobbies?

I had one for a day a week or so back.... ManuaI :D

I have to say, it was probabIy one of the most fun cars I have EVER driven. Put it in Sport PIus [DSC off] and it is just a HUGE Iaugh.. DefiniteIy a Iot faster than the Zed, sadIy, but such a massive Iaugh. I'd aImost go as far as to say I'd buy one at some point...

And that's coming from someone who utterIy detests BMWs normaIIy...

Off topic: Hahahaha.... Mouthwash, well picked up....!! My MacBook is very old, and is starting to die... therefore the L,O, and 9 keys don't work :(

I'm now on my work laptop...

On topic: They are damn quick yes... they're a very cheap alternative to a 1'M' Coupe (Man's car :D )

Personally I think the M135i is over rated, I know BMW is not known for their car designs interms of beauty/standing out but in my opinion the M135i is probably one of the ugliests car on the market, its may be a nice car to drive but the drive train is really no different from that of a 135/335i, and both of those options are available for much less than a M135i.

Would you want to see this thing parked on your drive first thing in the morning....

m135i_ugly.jpg

or something like this :p ....

[15236265462_dd9cd959b3_b.jpg

Edited by gangzoom

Prettier than the M235i that I spent a lot of time staring at the back of on track. Very fast cars but both hit with the ugly stick.

Incidentally if you're going to drop 35k on one of the above why not go for the full fat 1M instead and save yourself a ton of depreciation? They also sound and look better IMHO...

Edited by Dynamic Turtle

Personally I think the M135i is over rated, <snip> its may be a nice car to drive

I think you know what Im going to say ............. how can you possibly call it overrated if you havent driven it?? :dry:

Ive driven M135i 3 door, 5 door, coupe, 1M, M235i and if you want the comparison E92 M3, M435i, 335i coupe and 335i saloon. Yes, I like the engine :lol:

Simply put all of the 1's are stonkers (including the 2) - the engine is superb, the transmissions are brilliant and they handle very well - the 2 is noticeably sharper at the front than the 1's but they are streets ahead of the 350/370. Interiors are excellent (I did 1500km in an M135i across Europe and its up there with the best tourers Ive driven) and they are all fast cars, funnily enough the 1M is actually slower in a straight line but it absolutely comes alive in corners, its clearly a one off rather than a faster version of something else.

The coupes look great IMO, the hatches are ugly but they grow on you very quickly and M sport suspension is defintiely better than standard BMW, M adaptive is a new level and I think the new auto box kicks the arse of anything BMW have done previously as well. The only thign Id knock is the lack of an LSD but £2.5K to Birds soon sorts that out ;)

The 3's and 4's feel heavier and softer but are still great cars, the 1's just feel tighter, smaller and more focused which is right up my street.

I would have a M235i on my driveway right now but cant face the depreciation from brand new, Id have a 1M but can quite stretch to £40K at the moment (no depreciation is very attractive though) but if I dont have one or the other in 12 months Id be amazed. :teeth:

• Like 1

I would have a M235i on my driveway right now but cant face the depreciation from brand new, Id have a 1M but can quite stretch to £40K at the moment (no depreciation is very attractive though) but if I dont have one or the other in 12 months Id be amazed. :teeth:

Agree with docwra, but then I am bias as ive a 123d coupe. Personally ive never liked the 1 series hatch and the M135i is only available as a hatch so if I was going to get one id probably go for the M235i which is the coupe version. The M135i is very good value for the performance it gives you and up against its main competitors has had some really good reviews.

With the 1 series in general, I looked at a lot of cars before opting for my 123d coupe. What did it for me was the way it felt and drove - the handling, the brakes, build quality, the performance (mines a soot chucker so only does 0-60 in 6.5 seconds with its standard 204bhp), but still gives me 52mpg. Has the potential for 275bhp and more torque than an M3 with a "simple" remap if I feel the need for more. Pretty much everything about it ticked all my boxes. The only negative for me was the £32k price tag, but I was luck enough to get an ex managers 6 month old car for £25k which meant I avoided the initial depreciation. I worked out my car should loose about £2500 a year in depreciation which was about half the amount my zed lost. Servicing, has been pretty reasonable - 19k service intervals for me, first service only cost me £140 @ BMW and ive just done the 2nd myself so its been even cheaper.

Ideally id love a 1M, but with 2nd hand prices now actually fetching more than the car cost new, both here in the UK and in the USA, that boat has long since gone for me.

Edited by rabbitstew

I've never said the M135i is a bad car....I just find it amazingly ugly, so ugly infact I have no interest even to sit in one let alone drive one.....so just call me very vain :)

For the £30k I would much rather have a used 135i and spend £5k on some Birds suspension+Quaife LSD.

Picture is my 335 in Switzerland, somewhere up in the mountains is Reichenbach falls where Sherlock Holmes and Moriaty had their final meeting....amazing place, if I spoke German I wouldn't think twice about trying to find a job there :)

Edited by gangzoom

For the £30k I would much rather have a used 135i and spend £5k on some Birds suspension+Quaife LSD.

Thats very true, the 135i is a bit of a bargain atm 2nd hand. Remember all the M3 bits bolt straight onto the 1 series, so a lot of guys fit M3 anti roll bars, lower front arms etc to give you more camber and even the entire rear axle - bolts straight on and gives you an LSD.

Personally I think the M135i is over rated, <snip> its may be a nice car to drive

I think you know what Im going to say ............. how can you possibly call it overrated if you havent driven it?? :dry:

Ive driven M135i 3 door, 5 door, coupe, 1M, M235i and if you want the comparison E92 M3, M435i, 335i coupe and 335i saloon. Yes, I like the engine :lol:

Simply put all of the 1's are stonkers (including the 2) - the engine is superb, the transmissions are brilliant and they handle very well - the 2 is noticeably sharper at the front than the 1's but they are streets ahead of the 350/370. Interiors are excellent (I did 1500km in an M135i across Europe and its up there with the best tourers Ive driven) and they are all fast cars, funnily enough the 1M is actually slower in a straight line but it absolutely comes alive in corners, its clearly a one off rather than a faster version of something else.

The coupes look great IMO, the hatches are ugly but they grow on you very quickly and M sport suspension is defintiely better than standard BMW, M adaptive is a new level and I think the new auto box kicks the arse of anything BMW have done previously as well. The only thign Id knock is the lack of an LSD but £2.5K to Birds soon sorts that out ;)

The 3's and 4's feel heavier and softer but are still great cars, the 1's just feel tighter, smaller and more focused which is right up my street.

Hmm, your logic seems a bit confused?! The 1M seems like the only no-brainer option in this situation? Although if people are treating it like a future classic then rampant mileage accumulation might be inadvisable...

In fact I might have to think about getting one. In Temper Orange!

• Like 1

I've never said the M135i is a bad car....I just find it amazingly ugly, so ugly infact I have no interest even to sit in one let alone drive one.....

Have to agree. I wouldn't care how 'fun' or 'fast' it felt because I'd be so depressed by driving such an incredibly ugly car.

Edited by sipar69

Personally I think the M135i is over rated, its may be a nice car to drive

Hmm, your logic seems a bit confused?! The 1M seems like the only no-brainer option in this situation? Although if people are treating it like a future classic then rampant mileage accumulation might be inadvisable...

In fact I might have to think about getting one. In Temper Orange!

If you have the finances, do it. We were discussing the 1M at work yesterday. We're absolutely certain its going to be a classic. The price simply isn't dropping... in fact they're approaching the prices they were new... I'm even thinking about getting one. (At trade price if possible).

Edited by benjy88

Until they do a new 1M, I think you're right. Then the market will settle back down we'll have some sense in 1M prices.

Think about it: A new 1M isn't going to be massively different from what the old one was. They'll use the new M4 chassis (which is better than the old M3 chassis), they'll use a S6TT engine (which will have more power than the old S6TT engine), and they'll still offer a manual 'box (as well as the amazingly impressive current 8spd ZF auto). It will also look better, given the 2 series looks better than the old 1 series coupe.

Unless they make a dramatic change on that, I cannot see original 1M prices holding anywhere near firm.

And saying all that, it's still an amazing car and I would love to have 1M on my driveway! :D

I actually tried to put a deposit on a 1M when they were brand new but literally missed the last one by minutes, and at the moment I just dont have the money to do £40K.

It is a no brainer at the moment, as they will only continue to go up in value .......... but there is already an M2 being tested which is bound to affect 1M value, we know it will be the 2 series chassis realistically with at least 400hp, and it will be achingly beautiful. Like this in fact:

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=bmw+m2&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&docid=3yWLECCQreDYRM&tbnid=vK2GyKPHKZexNM:&ved=0CAcQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bimmerpost.com%2Fm2%2Fpage%2F2%2F&ei=w3cZVMyTD9LfaryBgogP&bvm=bv.75558745,d.d2s&psig=AFQjCNH-R4S_lmfmvKNh8sf3ONBBvrCjdg&ust=1411041557800612

However its also likely to be Cayman money and its going to have to be seriously good to beat that, these are all reasons why Ive taken 4 years and still havent actually got my wallet out :lol:

Edited by docwra

Having been utterly disgruntled by the 370Z and it's complete lack of reliability, I thought I'd give the M135i a test drive. I was never sold on its looks so hadn't considered it much.

I liked it so much I bought an auto one and pick it up next month.

Barring looks, it was hard to think of a single aspect that it doesn't at least equal the Z in during the 90 minute test drive, but ownership will reveal further.

The deal on offer was a no brainer, and all things considered will work out £200 a month cheaper. Cheaper finance, better efficiency, cheaper tax, cheaper tyres. It was a no brainer decision to trade the Z in.

Edited by AJRFulton
  • Like 1

Barring looks, it was hard to think of a single aspect that it doesn't at least equal the Z in during the 90 minute test drive, but ownership will reveal further.

Totally, 100% agree, as Ive said elsewhere on this board it feels like the next generation. If youre on a personal lease then Id appreciate it if you could let me know what deal you got, it wont take much to convince me to bite the bullet ........... ;)

Its PCP, and the auto version.

Putting the 5k equity I have on the Z in, and taking a car costing 36.5k with extras...... I'm 360 pcm for 4yrs.

The gearbox is IMO as good as any dual clutch I've tried (admittedly only a golf, and early dual clutch audi)

Indeed if the likes of Chris Harris is saying he thought it was a dual clutch until he read the spec, it's telling just how good an auto box it is.

Edited by AJRFulton
  • Like 1

I actually tried to put a deposit on a 1M when they were brand new but literally missed the last one by minutes, and at the moment I just dont have the money to do £40K.

It is a no brainer at the moment, as they will only continue to go up in value .......... but there is already an M2 being tested which is bound to affect 1M value, we know it will be the 2 series chassis realistically with at least 400hp, and it will be achingly beautiful. Like this in fact:

http://www.google.co...411041557800612

However its also likely to be Cayman money and its going to have to be seriously good to beat that, these are all reasons why Ive taken 4 years and still havent actually got my wallet out :lol:

Be careful what you wish for as a LOT of early 1Ms were stolen until BMW made some modifications to the OBD system. Quite a lot of threads out there on the subject...

Its PCP, and the auto version.

Putting the 5k equity I have on the Z in, and taking a car costing 36.5k with extras...... I'm 360 pcm for 4yrs.

The gearbox is IMO as good as any dual clutch I've tried (admittedly only a golf, and early dual clutch audi)

Indeed if the likes of Chris Harris is saying he thought it was a dual clutch until he read the spec, it's telling just how good an auto box it is.

Given your experiences I can't say I blame you, but modern BMWs don't seem to be the last word in reliability either.

Did you spec an LSD?

Re the PCP I'd still have to swallow hard to part with £17k for a car and have nothing to show for it after four years. I think I've lost £2.5k on the Zed in three years (not inc upkeep)...but each to their own and it's a completely different thread. Envious you have so much money to burn!