LED Reflectors DRL's

LloydZee

Hi I am looking to buy a set of LED reflectors but can only seem to find the pre 2006 ones. I have a 2008 350z. Does anyone know where I can acquire some to fit my z? I have tried some people on here who manufacture them, but with no success. Thanks. Lloyd.

htttp://zledslights.com/order-now/

Or you can wait around 4-5 weeks until mine go into production, i already have 1 guy to test (i need 1 more plus myself)

Mine are purpose built on custom pcb's (my design) which right now are winging their way over from China (enough pcb's to build 30 pairs of LED reflectors)..

You can have the choice of DRL with integrated turn signal's or an out and out DRL.

Each turn signal with DRL will hold:

21 x Superflux Nichia Raijin 20lm white, (proven as the best choice for DRL).

21 X Phillips Lumileds Amber (again as above proven as the best choice for LED turn signal).

DRL + Turn signal will turn on with ignition, as an example when indicating left then the left DRL will turn off (then back on of course when signaling is finished) and will dim to approx 30% when headlights are turned on.

Each straight DRL will hold:

42 x Nichia Raijin 20lm.

Straight DRL will turn on with ignition, and dim to 30% when headlights are on to comply with MOT ruling.

A ball park figure on price will be around £160-£170 for a pair of DRL with turn signal and £140 - £150 as a straight DRL, i could do them cheaper by using lower quality LED's but reliability does come at a cost i'm afraid.

Unfortunately the price above will not include the price of reflector as the white/clear ones are quite expensive (circa £80 per pair), if anyone knows of an outlet for quality aftermarket clear reflectors then im all ears

Like i say i will be testing a set and i have one other 350z-uk guy who will be testing a set, i'm still looking for 1 more person to test, these of course will be sold at cost.

Im not really going to go any further with pricing at this stage as obviously i need to register with the site as a member trader once things start properly.

Design stage on mine is done and its now a case of dotting the i's and crossing the t's of putting things together once everything is in hand, i can guarantee you they will be as equal in quality as the ones in the link at the beginning of this reply.

Cheers

Edited by Martinjj

How would you power these to come on with the ignition?

By tapping into an "ignition on" source of which there are a few, obviously it will be the most easily accessible, I have a meeting this coming Friday with an auto electrician (who will also be doing the fitting instructions) as to what the best ignition on option will be,.

Edited by Martinjj

How would you power these to come on with the ignition?

By tapping into an "ignition on" source of which there are a few, obviously it will be the most easily accessible, I have a meeting this coming Friday with an auto electrician (who will also be doing the fitting instructions) as to what the best ignition on option will be,.

The best/easiest option is what I meant, by wanting to know what this is :p so please share when you are aware, would be appreciated!

I'm looking forward to seeing your product Martinjj and I might go for a set. Just wish the reflectors were cheaper to get hold of! :dry:

Thanks and yes the reflectors are way overpriced in my opinion , somewhere out there are some cheaper aftermarket ones but I'm struggling to find them, I think at one time Tarmac had them but I'm not a 100% sure..

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to seeing your product Martinjj and I might go for a set. Just wish the reflectors were cheaper to get hold of! :dry:

Thanks and yes the reflectors are way overpriced in my opinion , somewhere out there are some cheaper aftermarket ones but I'm struggling to find them, I think at one time Tarmac had them but I'm not a 100% sure..

Just a thought; would the reflectors actually be needed? So could they be left orange or maybe even painted?

Just a thought; would the reflectors actually be needed? So could they be left orange or maybe even painted?

Its actually the lens that goes over the reflector that is the issue, as you know on a stock zed they are orange, once that orange lens is off they are identical to the clear lens reflectors inside, both having a clear/white reflector base.

The LED's are housed between the lens and the reflector, meaning that with the orange reflector lens the white LED's for the DRL would be ineffective.

Edited by Martinjj

I've been looking at zleds for some time since I got my zed 2 months ago but not too keen of getting them over from the states just in case it got damaged during transit or something. Better to get them from UK source. I'm going to keep my eyes on you Martinjj. Defo worth waiting to see your masterpiece!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little update to those who are interested, finally received the pcb's today (a week late) which has delayed things somewhat,but anyway here is a pic. board dimensions are 205mm in length, 16.5mm width and 0.4mm thick ( used a thin board to follow the radius of the reflector without cracking traces which can happen with thicker boards when following a radius).

pcb_zps73e0f44c.jpg

Hoping to get one soldered up on Saturday/Sunday, cant do any earlier due to real life issues (ie work :yuck: ), then off to the auto electrician for fine tuning final "in car" wiring options.

Edited by Martinjj
  • Like 3

VEEG3, I have bought a few items from Zleds now and they arrive safe and well each time plus quality is top draw! Martin sounds to be going down the quality route too so they should be good as well I would anticipate.

• Like 1

Definitely going down the quality route Rick. The criteria that i have set for these is that when they are not lit up then they should still look as they came with the car from the factory, no hacks and bodge-ups in the assembly of them, lets face it they are going inside a clear lens for all to see, if its not good enough for my car its not good enough for anyone else's either. Its important that the LED's used in these DRL's are high powered and low temperature with a long life. I can get low quality LED's at 10 a penny but they wont last and wont really be bright enough for DRL use without a reflective silver background holder and the Zed's reflectors wont allow that because of the internal width, bearing this in mind the ones i have chosen fit the bill precisely and are very bright at up to 25lm per LED, the downside is they are hard to get a hold of and a little expensive, but with a manufacturers proven lifetime of 15k hours its the only choice.

Zed's DRL's look the dogs "doodahs" cosmetically and functionally, these wont be any different... watch this space.. ;)

Edited by Martinjj
  • Like 2

Definitely going down the quality route Rick. The criteria that i have set for these is that when they are not lit up then they should still look as they came with the car from the factory, no hacks and bodge-ups in the assembly of them, lets face it they are going inside a clear lens for all to see, if its not good enough for my car its not good enough for anyone else's either. Its important that the LED's used in these DRL's are high powered and low temperature with a long life. I can get low quality LED's at 10 a penny but they wont last and wont really be bright enough for DRL use without a reflective silver background holder and the Zed's reflectors wont allow that because of the internal width, bearing this in mind the ones i have chosen fit the bill precisely and are very bright at up to 25lm per LED, the downside is they are hard to get a hold of and a little expensive, but with a manufacturers proven lifetime of 15k hours its the only choice.

Zed's DRL's look the dogs "doodahs" cosmetically and functionally, these wont be any different... watch this space.. ;)

Plus with the added benefit of them being a lot cheaper to be delivered in the UK with no import taxes!

• Like 1

Plus with the added benefit of them being a lot cheaper to be delivered in the UK with no import taxes!

And local support should anything goes wrong (me not being able to follow instructions) B)

• Like 2

VEEG3, I have bought a few items from Zleds now and they arrive safe and well each time plus quality is top draw! Martin sounds to be going down the quality route too so they should be good as well I would anticipate.

Out of interest, how much you got charged for import tax?

I have just done a small test with the white LED's on the pcb (have not soldered them in just yet),.. what i can say is these are bright, very bright, because they are not soldered just yet only 6 out of the 21 LED's had a decent enough contact to get power from the board, even those 6 gave me snow blindness..hahaha.

Going to solder them to the board after i have eaten and get a pic or two up for you guys.. B)

Sunglasses Required!

pcb_zps56551830.jpg

12vjpg_zps4186ab67.jpg

14va_zpsa628f2f4.jpg

pics show white LED in place on pcb and also 2 tests done at 12v and 14.4v, i have set the resistance of the led's to run at 14.4v (reason being a car battery does not necessarily run at 12v constant) but as you can see they run equally well at 12v..

Photos were taken with an iphone 5, to be honest it cant cope with the light output, but you get the picture...these LED's are brilliant!

Edited by Martinjj
  • Like 2