few problems since cam chain got replaced PLEASE HELP

dazzer-b

hi,

so my bro works in crewe at the nissan garage, i managed to get my cam chain tensioner done there for £25 an hour, (live in high wycombe, so well worth the trip),

since getting it back i have noticed 2 problems,

1, when the car is warm and idle its got a very slight wobbley/juddery feeling like its close to stalling, the revs stay constant at about 800rpm, it hasnt stalled just wasnt doing it before.

2, mine is a semi auto, so automatically switches down the gears, 5th to 3rd and 3rd to 1st. these work fine, but if im in slow moving traffic and get into 2nd, when i eventually come to a stop it doesnt go very smoothly into 1st, it kind of klonks or feels like i have put my foot hard on the brake for a split second.

i know most things had to come out to do the tensioner, so was hoping and praying everything was going to be fine after, my bro has asked the chap who did the job about the fault, and he said he took it for a road test after and everything was fine. i dont really want to get angry with them as my brother has to work there and its also a long drive away.

any ideas????

I'd be looking at a fluid change in the torque converter (the autobox) as the 2 faults don't sound like they would come from the cam chain - I will admit it does sound like a coincidence and I don't like them.

I thought you could get good access to the tensioner just by removing the cover plate on the front? There is even a YouTube video for it I am sure. Hope they didn't take the whole thing appart as Nissan ain't known for their tech skills at most dealers

Not that it helps you much.

Edited by evilscorp

Providing it is not a "coincidence" issue, I am thinking that it may be an auto transmission valve body issue caused by low oil pressure in the auto gearbox.

This may have been caused by the garage not topping up the oil lost from the auto transmission when they had the transmission cooling pipes disconnected at the radiator.

Remember also that it is special Nissan J fluid that has to be used and not the normal TQF.

Alex. :)

• Like 1

It will cost you over £200.00 for the correct fluid for a complete change.

First step is to check the level in the correct manner as per the work shop manual or hand book.

Also find out from the garage what type/brand of oil they added if indeed they have topped up.

Alex. :)