The Law On No More Tax Discs From October 2014.

WhackyWill

Makes the higher priced Z's £42.44 a month which 'sounds' quite reasonable compared with the £485 in one month.

Mines due this month though :(

That's my thinking too, doesn't sound too bad at the monthly cost! I just had to renew mine :(

The move away from paper discs will save motorists money on postage

Never done mine by post. Back in the 70's you could take it to a licensing office in Mold, then when that closed there was one in Chester. After that (late 70's)I used to pop up to the post office in Buckley or Mold and for the past 10 years I've been doing it online.

Pete

Just something to think about, anyone who has a considerable amount left on there Tax before October and is thinking about going monthly when it's due for renewal...

You could sell it back to them, have a large chunk and pay it monthly ;)

Just something to think about, anyone who has a considerable amount left on there Tax before October and is thinking about going monthly when it's due for renewal...

You could sell it back to them, have a large chunk and pay it monthly ;)

But doesn't that mean either faffing around with a SORN request or transferring ownership?

The move away from paper discs will save motorists money on postage

Never done mine by post. Back in the 70's you could take it to a licensing office in Mold, then when that closed there was one in Chester. After that (late 70's)I used to pop up to the post office in Buckley or Mold and for the past 10 years I've been doing it online.

Pete

Sorry but if you've been doing it online for the past 10 years, how do you receive your new disc if not through the post?

It is, of course, a ridiculous idea that the motorist will ever benefit from these cost saving measures in the guise of lower VED still though. Cynical? Me? Oh yes!

It wasn't predominantly about cost saving, I grant you, but some of the rhetoric I've seen/heard/read about it in the last couple of days has often raised the cost saving element, caused by less administration involved under this new system - rather as an "added bonus to the motorist" than the driving factor though.

Long term I guess it'll save the government money, but there's a huge cost element to setting up a new system.

Never mind we're all going to pay more VED because everyone keeps buying low emission vehicles.

Cannot wait to get a V10 Viper or a SL55 AMG or SL6.2 AMG...dont mind giving then VED then... :yahoo: :yahoo:

How about if im selling a car now that has 6 months tax. Will that still be valid until next year?

EDIT, updated with correct information:

No, its not transferable, you have to notify DVLA right away the car is sold and the new owner is responsible for tax,

Unlike before, motorists who buy a used car will not benefit if there are months left on the tax disc.

As a result of this, buyers will have to renew their tax disc instantly, or risk being caught out on the road in an untaxed car.

As well as this, the seller of the vehicle is responsible for informing the DVLA of a change of ownership, otherwise they could face a possible £1,000 fine.

This can be done by filling out a V5C form and sending it to the DVLA.

It is important for all vehicle owners and motorists to find out whether their vehicle was taxed or SORN’d (declared off the road) before driving their new car. You can do this by clicking here.

Vehicle sellers will get an automatic refund for any full calendar months left on the vehicle tax.

Read more at http://www.westernmo...4IBA6DjcWS6f.99

Edited by Martinjj

I cant wait to see how they will refund any unused months tax when i dispose of my ex hire fleet cars ..toyota prius's costing £10 per year to tax and only payable in full ,no 6 mths option so i guess we get a refund of £0.83 per unused month will cost more to process and administrate lol

Just thinking out loud here, but if the tax is automatically refunded to the seller upon receipt & processing of the change of ownership, would that not make it difficult for the buyer to tax the car before that's been processed? If the refund on unused tax is automated, would the seller not get the "refund" from the new tax paid on it before the change of ownership is actually processed?

And if so, how would the buyer know when s/he can tax the car themselves without waiting for the new V5 coming through and thus actually being untaxed for a period of time?

I'm assuming I've missed something (probably quite obvious) here?

Basically it's got administrative catastrophe written all over it.

Come on......... It's government of course it will work super smooth........... (after spending a trillion pounds on it,then scrapping it to bring it back as a new idea) :teeth:

Just thinking out loud here, but if the tax is automatically refunded to the seller upon receipt & processing of the change of ownership, would that not make it difficult for the buyer to tax the car before that's been processed?

I'm guessing the system won't care how many people try and tax a car, so long as it is taxed. More money for them, I guess.

I'm guessing the system won't care how many people try and tax a car, so long as it is taxed. More money for them, I guess.

I took that bit for granted to be quite honest with you. :lol:

What I meant was, assuming the above is the case, would it not result in both being refunded and leaving the new owner untaxed as a matter of course? Although if the system won't allow more than one person to tax a car at any given time, surely this would result in the fine for not paying the tax arriving at the same time as the new V5?

I just can't quite fathom how a new owner is going to tax a car (for more than a few days, at least) at the point of sale if all refunds are going to be automated.

Ah, I see what you mean now :blush:

Tbh, I have no idea. I started to write something out, then realised it sounded like complete b*llocks so deleted it :lol: I guess that's why people are paid far more money than me to make sure stuff works.

In theory, as long as you keep names separate then it'll be fine. What happens when Joe Smith sells a car to another Joe Smith, I've no idea!

• Like 2