370Z Nismo

WINKJ

Unlike the 350's, the 370's ECU's retain the bhp gains after exhaust changes etc without the uprev.

Personally, I found the uprev improved the driveability/responsiveness or whatever you choose to call it. As others have said before it's difficult to describe the 'feel' but if you enjoy using the full rev range that is where it comes into its own. But if you are someone that does not explore the full revs too often then it may be a waste of money.

Oh, and it improved the mpg - not by any great amount but for me it was by about 3mpg cruising on the motorways, when I got bored and monitored the consumption. :lol:

Very interesting factoid re the 370's learning ECU. Skynet @*!#!

Looks like I'm just going to keeps things simple and modular for the time being and start by replacing the exhaust and leaving the cats in place. No uprev or intakes at this point - if it works nicely then I'll be done with it. If not I might explore more options...

Thanks again for all your help, will let you know how it sounds over the weekend.

DT

p.s. Looks like there will also be a 370z nismo for sale here soon, any idea on value @ 7k miles?

To clarify - exhaust or car

+ 1 for keeping an old OEM system about, even if it is Nismo.

Plus, if everyone who has Nismo's changing them, then I can't imagine they'll fetch what you want for it.

Consider a ARK GRiP system, they sound great without HFC's - IMO

Ok so I've managed to crack out another 500 odd miles this weekend and also bolted the cobra zorst to her rear end (thanks to gumpy!). Also had a 60 mile drive in the 350 for old times sake and to have a fresh opinion.

The cobra is good. Immediately noticeable increase in performance, whether from lower weight or more bhp, defo felt quicker.

Much nicer sound at lower revs, throatier and less harsh at higher revs. Fits nicely under the rear balance and doesn't stick out at all, slash cuts actually look pretty good.

On the downside it is quite boomy in the cabin at 3000rpm/80mph, unlike the miltek. Not that you can hear anything over the bridgestones anyway :-)

Biggest benefit has been synchro rev, which was good before but is frikkin awesome now, you can really hear the double-braap in neutral and it's very addictive.

Not sure if I'll bother with hfc but the engine still has a slightly annoying whine that sounds like an electric blender. Not sure how to tackle that one.

stepping back into the 350 later was nice. Feels lighter and perkier than the Nismo, the way the engine revs and the zorst grumbles is just lovely. The ride made me think that its actually the better car and whether I'll regret selling it for five grand.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Great pics.

After a lot of research both on the UK and US sites, the conclusion seems to be that the cats are the most restrictive part of the system, followed by the headers (which are a pain to replace and can held variable results anyway) followed by complex combinations of the pipes following the cats to the rear. A duel exhaust such as the Invidia Gemini works well, despite the pipes meeting at one point in an 'X' to largely improve the sound.

The standard airboxes are meant to be very good (similar to the 350's) As far as intakes go, the takeda and stillen gen 3 long intakes yeild excellent gains and improve response (circa 10+hp) as they are placed outside the hot engine bay vs the shorter intakes which end up sucking in hot air and giving duller throttle responses in traffic where airflow is zero/ slow (just as with most cars).

Overall, stillen gen 3's + berk high flow cats + invidia Gemini seem to massively improve sound, without excess 'raspiness' as well quickening throttle response. If you have cash to burn, the motordyne shockwave exhaust sounds epic- even with the standard cats (£1700).

The lightweight flywheel options to improve response do seem to introduce noise+ 'chatter' below 2k revs making them less than ideal for daily driving. Those who had had them on the 350 and 370 also report thy don't have as much of an effect.....

Edited by Siman350z
  • Like 1