370Z Nismo

WINKJ

Great pics.

After a lot of research both on the UK and US sites, the conclusion seems to be that the cats are the most restrictive part of the system, followed by the headers (which are a pain to replace and can held variable results anyway) followed by complex combinations of the pipes following the cats to the rear. A duel exhaust such as the Invidia Gemini works well, despite the pipes meeting at one point in an 'X' to largely improve the sound.

The standard airboxes are meant to be very good (similar to the 350's) As far as intakes go, the takeda and stillen gen 3 long intakes yeild excellent gains and improve response (circa 10+hp) as they are placed outside the hot engine bay vs the shorter intakes which end up sucking in hot air and giving duller throttle responses in traffic where airflow is zero/ slow (just as with most cars).

Overall, stillen gen 3's + berk high flow cats + invidia Gemini seem to massively improve sound, without excess 'raspiness' as well quickening throttle response. If you have cash to burn, the motordyne shockwave exhaust sounds epic- even with the standard cats (£1700).

The lightweight flywheel options to improve response do seem to introduce noise+ 'chatter' below 2k revs making them less than ideal for daily driving. Those who had had them on the 350 and 370 also report thy don't have as much of an effect.....

Interesting and bears out most of what I've also read. However, I did also read somewhere that the performance gains on the Nismo from breathing mods are reduced from those on the standard 370 as the engine is already performance tuned. Not fussed about that myself as I did my mods purely for sound. :)

Great pics.

After a lot of research both on the UK and US sites, the conclusion seems to be that the cats are the most restrictive part of the system, followed by the headers (which are a pain to replace and can held variable results anyway) followed by complex combinations of the pipes following the cats to the rear. A duel exhaust such as the Invidia Gemini works well, despite the pipes meeting at one point in an 'X' to largely improve the sound.

The standard airboxes are meant to be very good (similar to the 350's) As far as intakes go, the takeda and stillen gen 3 long intakes yeild excellent gains and improve response (circa 10+hp) as they are placed outside the hot engine bay vs the shorter intakes which end up sucking in hot air and giving duller throttle responses in traffic where airflow is zero/ slow (just as with most cars).

Overall, stillen gen 3's + berk high flow cats + invidia Gemini seem to massively improve sound, without excess 'raspiness' as well quickening throttle response. If you have cash to burn, the motordyne shockwave exhaust sounds epic- even with the standard cats (£1700).

The lightweight flywheel options to improve response do seem to introduce noise+ 'chatter' below 2k revs making them less than ideal for daily driving. Those who had had them on the 350 and 370 also report thy don't have as much of an effect.....

Very interesting, thanks for that.

KInda tempted by the stillen intakes and HFCs/uprev given that I'm still not convinced by the overall aural impact running just a cobra exhaust and cosworth panels. Bit of an issue while the car's still under nissan warranty though oh and £1,700 odd quid as you say....

I'd strongly recommend the Cobra HFCs if you're after a boost in sound. They've made quite a bit of difference to mine compared to just the exhaust.

Not sure about the intakes - don't think they'd make much difference to sound and worth looking into the gains issue I mentioned above. I understand the Gen 3s can offer good gains on the standard Z but not necessarily on the Nismo.

• Like 1

Nice, what colour is that one? I thought they only did the new Nismo in Black & White.

It is Universal Silver but doesn't look as dark as the mk1 for some reason, I am going to check the paint code as in the service book it says new silver.

Looked at he paint code and it is K23 which is Brilliant Silver from my searches online, would have to get the paint code from a 2013/14 silver Nismo to see if they are the same.

Edited by Turboextreme

Love the cossie pics- that's gotta be worth 20bhp on its own!

Yeah- it's difficult to work out what the gains in the nismo would be, and the mk1/2 nismo would probably be different too, so hard to judge/ research.

The only plus point is that the prices are so strong second hand, if you change your mind you can always resell.

Great pics.

Very interesting, thanks for that.

KInda tempted by the stillen intakes and HFCs/uprev given that I'm still not convinced by the overall aural impact running just a cobra exhaust and cosworth panels. Bit of an issue while the car's still under nissan warranty though oh and £1,700 odd quid as you say....

Sorry, the motordyne shockwave is £1700 (epic sound)

The stillen gen 3 is £489/ berks £420 and uprev £400 (prices tarmac/ abbey).

(Video in tarmacs exhaust thread: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/60920-tarmac-sportz-customer-exhaust-videos-thread/page__st__40#entry1451831)

Edited by Siman350z

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Has anyone actually seen a red Mk2 in the flesh? I'm wondering how the red accents (which are clearly a quite different red from the paint) look in real life. I can't decide whether having them stand out on a black/white/silver car is actually better than a subtler look but with a mismatch of reds.

First world problems, eh? LOL

One fairly near me for sale Digsy - looks a bargain and HPC dealer I have dealt with before ;) :

http://www.motorline.co.uk/nissan/used-car-results.aspx?COGDealerID=104806&COGManufacturer=Nissan&COGModel=370Z+Coupe&

Yep, it was that one that got me thinking, Colin. Photos can be pretty misleading and I wondered if anyone had set eyes on one.

I'm not sure how I'd square it with Kat mind... 😬

• 3 months later...