Why does my Zed seem to polarise reactions?

twobears

I don't normally rant but I have been driving a lot today and all day I seem to have got one of two polar opposite reactions to my presence on the road. The first group seem perfectly happy for me to be on the road and simply get on with their own journeys and, if appropriate, happily let me into queueing traffic with a friendly nod and a wave but the others, the idiots as I will politely term them, seem to view my presence as some sort of challenge. Why?

I've just got back from what should have been a very pleasant drive but it was somewhat spoilt by Mr Twonk driving his FamilyMobile or whatever it was, who insisted on driving wedged up Mr Zedley's back bumper for several miles in a 30 mph zone and then, when we got to a dual carriageway, the fool thought he could overtake me. As if!!!

So does anyone know what makes people do this because I genuinely don't understand their thought processes. I am always going to be able to out accelerate them so why do they try to flog their family wagons past me at the first opportunity they get, after sitting so close to my back bumper that I can count their fillings? They invariably end up pulling back in behind me and looking like an ar$e but what part of their brain leads them to believe that their car is suddenly going to find a huge surge of power which will leave me and Mr Zed in the dust?

I should add that this 'phenomenon' seems to be 100% worse when I have the roof down :wacko:

Answers on a post card please :teeth:

Mr Twonk cannot comprehend how you are in front of him in a rag top with the top down and how he's a bloke and you are not. Good old fashioned jealousy and incomprehension that the fairer sex have as much right to things as others. Just treat them with the contempt they deserve and ignore them. :)

• Like 3

My guess is that they drive at higher speeds than you in 30 zones.

They feel you ought to be driving faster because you have a sports car, even in a 30.

I actually find I drove SLOWER now in the Z in a 30 and 40 zone - I used to do what I suspect most people do, which is almost 40 in a 30 and almost 50 in a 40. Now I pretty much sit at 35 (according to the computer) in a 30, which would actually be ~33. I suspect most people would do closer to 38.

Thanks Graham. I've always wondered if it is because I'm female but, having always been female :lol: , I've got nothing to compare it against. It seems totally pathetic if that really is the sole reason for a few men driving like idiots :thumbdown: Real men don't need to prove anything and surely it doesn't take a genius to work out that you don't make yourself look big by driving so aggressively and badly?

Ricey, what's an IBTL? Have I said something stupid? :blush:

Jimbo Mahoney, I was doing just over 30mph but, you're right, I didn't want to really exceed the speed limit even if someone was trying to force me to. If I were driving at 20 mph or something then Mr Twonk might have had a point but I really don't think he did have.

Edited by twobears

Ah I see, thanks :) Like I said, I don't normally feel the need to rant about anything but I just felt annoyed today because a minority of people seemed to want to take the pleasure out of driving for me. I love driving so I needed to understand their mind set in order to file them away in the box marked "Idiots - never to be brought to mind again". I feel much less stressed now I've written it down so it's worked :lol:

• Like 1

In Before The Lock :)

I still don't understand :blush:

It's an Internet forum saying. To be 'in before the lock' is to identify that a thread will quickly get out of hand and be locked by a moderator.

Correcting guessing an IBTL proves that you are an Internet forum stalwart and also an annoying smug git :lol:

• Like 1

twobears, you're not the only one. I'm forever finding people sat right up my chuff on motorways, A roads and B roads. They are fools and idiots and do not understand the responsibility associated with driving a car, I know that sounds a bit odd but it's true.

On Monday I attended yet another driver awareness / driver improvement course. Why did I do that you may wonder. Well I drive 3000 miles a month, M/Ways, A and B roads, I drive a lot.

The statistical assessment from the Police advanced driving instructor who was with on Monday was my driving habit (as in miles driven). Put me in a death risk group above that of professional deep see (mixed air and gas) diver. Because we all drive, we all think or people think driving is easy, a throw away habit.

Now a lot of us cook and a lot of us cook well. But that doesn't mean I'm Michelle Roux Junior or Raymond Blanc or Heston Blumenthal. I'm not a Michelin Star chef, even though I can cook.

The only issue is that over cooking the rice or burning the 'snorkers' on the BBQ is not the same as travelling at 40 mph in a 30 or using a mobile phone when driving. The risks and potential impact are incomparable. Yet everyone thinks that because the can cook beans on toast, they can drive like Fernando Alonso.

Poor driving frustrates me, makes me angry and really pisses me off. Most of all however it saddens me, because the type of people who drive as you describe have no idea how bad they are and no idea how likely and how soon they will cause an accident that kills them or someone else.

I sometimes wonder how on earth these types of people ever get a licence and wonder if theirs fell out of a cracker at Christmas, like a very poor joke and a magic curling fish thingy

Edited by Bockaaarck
  • Like 2

In Before The Lock :)

I still don't understand :blush:

It's an Internet forum saying. To be 'in before the lock' is to identify that a thread will quickly get out of hand and be locked by a moderator.

Correcting guessing an IBTL proves that you are an Internet forum stalwart and also an annoying smug git :lol:

You're never smug Ricey :blush:

I had someone in a Laguna pulling a trailer follow close up behind me and "make hand gestures" whilst I stayed at 20 in a recently changed 20 zone. Gave me a stare as he drove past at the junction whilst I was stuck at lights as well, I just had to laugh.

It wasn't me that made the new speed limit! Speed is for the track, not outside a primary school like this was.

Edited by Gudzy
  • Like 2

I had mr twonk behind me in a bmw 12345533245d or whatever they are called these days. I drop to 2nd gear and go down to 25, then if they dont get back i go down to 20. None have tried the overtake funny enough :)

Thats one of my favorites, the closer they tailgate, the slower i go, its really frstrating........for them.

• Like 1

The trouble is I feel vulnerable sometimes, especially with the roof down when people are trying to intimidate me :( I actually want to speed off and leave them miles behind just to get rid of them. I don't, of course, but it feels tempting. Either that or have a rear machine gun fitted ;)

• Like 1

Intimidation, intentional or otherwise, of another motorist / cyclist / pedestrian is unforgivable. I do think a lot of people don't realise they are doing it.

Which makes me wonder if they should receive further training or indeed a re-test because they are 'unaware' and I don't like driving on roads where people are unaware, because they make it more dangerous.

People who do this intentionally however, are mouth breathing, selfish dolts of the highest order

Edited by Bockaaarck

I'm a pretty normal bloke I reckon ('cept I don't like football) but I don't mind admitting that I reckon a lot of blokes are basically very insecure, despite outward appearances. That alone probably helps to explain a lot of what you've experienced. I've already posted in another thread about when my partner (who is in her 40s) was driving our Nismo to her mum's and a couple of young lads virtually jumped into the road and shouted "A woman! An F'ing woman driving a car like that".

I find it's best to assume that most people are idiots and then be pleasantly surprised by the ones who aren't. :)

This may be an unusual approach but nowadays.......If someone consistently drives too close to my rear bumper, I wait for the next safe opportunity, pull over to the left and let them pass, so they can then annoy someone else.

My theory is that these people have clearly had their brains removed without the aid of surgery so they are unlikely to be using their powers of observation and anticipation and hence are more likely to destroy my car and occupants. This also means that I remain in a calm and relaxed state (well sort of).

Some people do it through sheer incompetence and not necessarily to make a point (this doesn't make it any better).

It tends to happen more when I am driving the old Toyota. As my wife has a spine full of screws (exaggeration....well 8 anyway :p ) I don't really want anyone crashing into us..... in an ideal world. However, I would do this even if I was in the Jag or anything else.

In days past, in a Caterham 7 on a B road, it didn't seem to happen as often.

It's reminded me of something else. My father (sadly missed) was Head of East Surrey's police traffic department. His advice to me as a new driver was "if someone signals left assume they are going to turn right".

Edited by NeilMH
  • Like 3

It's reminded me of something else. My father (sadly missed) was Head of East Surrey's police traffic department. His advice to me as a new driver was "if someone signals left assume they are going to turn right".

My dads advice was. ' Every other driver on the road is an idiot.' That includes me.

Said the same to my two. But I am an idiot. :kicking:

Driver standards will never improve until we have traffic officers (cars on the road) who stop you and give you a rollocking. Instead of having a camera that gives you a fine.

Fines mean sod all to nearly all drivers. They will wing and moan but they will pay and learn sweet 'Fanny Adams'.

• Like 3

Thanks Graham. I've always wondered if it is because I'm female but, having always been female :lol: , I've got nothing to compare it against. It seems totally pathetic if that really is the sole reason for a few men driving like idiots :thumbdown: Real men don't need to prove anything and surely it doesn't take a genius to work out that you don't make yourself look big by driving so aggressively and badly?

You have answered it very eloquently your self, just tell them to "#### off" in your best Spanish, that's when you find the lessons were worth it. :bleh:

• Like 1

I've had my Zed over 3 years now and I can only remember getting aggro once by a chump in a S3. Obviously I get the usual tailgaiting from drivers of German whips but I'm pretty sure that's nothing Zed related.

Maybe no one picks on me as they can tell I'm hard as f**k and not to be messed with :p ;P

S.

PS good to see you back Annie :wave: