Today I finished tarting up my wife's car (though I'd show off my hard work)

dpbayly

In no way Z related but thought I'd show off my work on my wife's car

A few weeks ago I decided to re spray my wife's car for her as she's had it a long time and loves it and as she puts up with me spending all my time on my motors and thought I'd spruce her's up a bit,

She wanted it to look a bit special and stand out.

I've never re-sprayed a whole car before only bits and pieces for my self in the booth at work so thought what the hell I'll give it a go.

I started with a base metallic Pink then came the fun part I bought some Chameleon holographic Pink metal flake from Ibbotson flake, I had a quick chat with Neil the chap who owns Ibbotson and he was very informative and shared a few tricks to help me with the paint job. I bought 300g of flake which according to Neil was way more than I need (and he was right).

With the metal flake you mix it in with the lacquer and according to the instructions you mix 20g with 1ltr of mixed lacquer I went against the instructions a bit and mixed 20g flake with 600ml of lacquer, Neil had said an experienced sprayer could double the flake to lacquer mix I wouldn't call my self an experienced spray at all but I like to push my luck, 600ml mix is enough to go round the car once with a full coat and I did this 8 times with flake mixed lacquer to get the desired coverage I then applied 6 coats of plain lacquer to bury the metal flake this was the first stage, I then left it to bake in the oven and returned the following morning to wet flat it down but as I started i was starting to hit the flake which you don't want to do as it takes the colour out of them so I gave it another 6 coats of lacquer and again baked it and left it again till the following day I then was able to wet flat the whole car to flatten the paint before giving it it's final coats of lacquer 4 more that's 24 coats of lacquer in total 8 with flake and 16 coats to bury the metal flake and leave a glass like finish and you can now not feel the flake at all, in total i used 15ltrs of lacquer that's 10 times the amount used on a normal spray job.

After I finished the paint job I had to leave it a week or so for the solvents to evaporate fully from the paint due to there being so much paint and I then gave it a light 2000 grit wet flatting and machine polish and I was told In a few weeks or so I would need to machine polish it again which is what I did today so It's finally finished.

Not bad really considering it's my first attempt and it's got a glass smooth finish, I was told by a sprayer work colleague the retail on a job like I've done is £4000 that's 2.5x the value of her car, it actually only cost me the materials £80 pink £155 lacquer and £20 flake £255 all in not bad going I'd say.

Also bought her a new set of wheels to finish off the girly look

Here is the finished article, It was hard getting the phone camera to pick up the flake as well as it can be seen in the flesh but they still look good, I also made a video which shows it off better.

Here's a close up where you can see how the flake is suspended in the super thick coat of lacquer:

59a4fa94-7183-4b9d-96bd-6f7b88529aa2_zps3dbba9bb.jpg

a few stood back shots:

CAM00083_zps2yxlvnhe.jpg

CAM00085_zpsxjywrpfi.jpg

CAM00086_zpskzsypnno.jpg

CAM00089_zpsiwfdorqj.jpg

CAM00091_zpsqv9cikhg.jpg

CAM00092_zpskglpiyde.jpg

CAM00093_zpsfvgekzkr.jpg

CAM00094_zpsqlostm8z.jpg

Here's the video:

There's no denying it stands out and is a bit special, it's crazy the amount attention it gets with people always taking pictures even driving down the motorway people pass with there phones up at the windows snapping away.

Edited by dpbayly

Undoubtedly a very nice job... but please, kill it with fire! :p

Couldn't agree more its a nasty thing to drive but she loves it,

I've shot my self in the foot a bit because now she loves it she'll never get rid.

Edited by dpbayly

Funny enough she had the lashes fitted before I sprayed it and I didn't refit them because they used to scratch the bonnet where they flexed at speed and rubbed lines into the bonnet so after all that graft I defiantly wasn't fitting them again.

Well it was never going to be any other colour because my wife loves things girly and you don't get much girly than a glittery pink beetle on daisy wheels,

its not to my taste but who's to argue with the boss aka the wife its her car she drives it and if she wants it and I can give it to her she'll get it.

Also she's got no excuses then when I say "I'm just getting _ _ _ _ _ _ for my car"

Can't say I'm a fan of the colour, but can appreciate the time and effort that went into it. I tip my cap to you Sir :thumbs:

So, you have a bright yellow Zed and a metallic pink Beetle parked on the drive? Bet those colours don't clash much! :lol:

• Like 1