Exhaust broken...

Jimbo Mahoney

On my way to work this morning and the exhaust decided to break just where the pipe joins the backbox. (Not sure of the terminology, but when I look under the back if the car, I can clearly see the pipe is cracked just before the single pipe from the engine joins the exhaust box).

What's the best thing to do? The car is INSANELY LOUD RIGHT NOW AND QUITE EMBARRASING TO DRIVE!

:p

I'm assuming it can just be welded back together, but the problem will happen again?

Is it worth fitting a new exhaust, and if so which one and why?

I plan to keep the car in good working order for a number of years as a daily drive, so if it means splashing some cash to increase performance and reduce problems down the line, then so be it.

Thanks!

Thanks guys.

martin was spot-on - £40 for a bit welded in to replace the cracked section. That'll do me for now - will leave exhaust changes for when I get itchy for a change and have more funds!

Shout out to Dee's Exhausts in Newtownabbey for sorting me out so quickly!

Ah, so that was the tinny noise the other week. It must have been just on about blowing and thats why it wasn't really loud.

When I bought the car it was broken in the same place and cost the same £40 to get patched up :)

• Like 1

Aye - checked under the car and it DOES have cats on, but DOESN'T have the mid-section muffler - just backbox.

It also had a loose bolt, which was rattling a lot, so I got them to spot-weld it in place. There was no way the bolt was ever coming off without cutting anyway!