Cyclists - Traffic Lights

ioneabee

There not direct replicas tho well movistar might be but

If they aren't then why would someone ride around on a mobile advertising board....

Would you have "virgin" plastered on your zed for no reason?

Btw I have no issue with it but it again seems like double standards. The cycle clothing does serve a purpose for some but what you will find is those you can get in the shops are replicas of cycle teams it's not easy to find a vanilla set. Pretty much like football shirts are all branded after pro teams :)

im not even sure what were talking about anymore,

and advertising boards you have seen my car right, difference is im supported by everyone on my car,

would i drive around with virgin on my Zed? no i wont, but cant recall say i would :wacko:

and having double standards would mean i go out in race suit and helmet every time i drive my car, which i dont

I've not seen your car. My point being that off the shelf is normally the easiest.

The motorbikes for example, if you want the factory power upgrades (Nismo for example) the fairings typically come with the race team branding hence the virgin comment as one bike has that branding. I'm sure it comes with a little more enticement than a sticker ;)

It's not the same as driving your car with fire retardant FIA approved suits and gloves but the cycling outfits are designed to allow moisture to be "wicked" from the body etc.

Helmets again I buy based on safety record so I can't comment on that... We are all mush after all.

Oh and just for balance I saw two kids riding the wrong way towards the overleigh roundabout last night, no lights etc and then hopping on the pavement when cars beeped.

One cat was a patrol car who put the blues and twos on and I don't think was too lenient,rightly so

Lol it had great whiskers.... Nice zed, none standard with stickers

How dare Tijuana drive on the public highway :lol:

EDIT: WTF is going on, 3 beers and a lovely 1/2lb burger with pulled pork, onion rings salsa and fries has really screwed up my tapping an iPhone :lol:

How's the diet? Said he who is 20+ stone :)

Edited by Fodder

Stevo that last post was very light hearted, I'm really impressed with your weight loss and it wasn't a pop at that but more me. I lostt nearly 8st about 7 years ago (within a year) and have since put 5st back on.

It's not easy and my posts on that thread are heartfelt and honest.

With this thread I think there is a lot of misunderstanding. We are all mush at the end of the day but we do have compassion for our fellow mush based life forms :)

Lycra is great for pro cyclists going against world best in a velodrome, it serves no purpose on the road. It does not 'absorb moisture' any better than a standard pair of shorts and sports t-shirt despite what all the marketing says to you. Utterly pointless on the road for 99% of users. FACT :boxing:

I disagree.

If it gets you in the correct mindset, then it's worthwhile. A normal t-shirt and shorts might not encourage you to push harder, but wearing the 'correct' gear might well make you beat that PB or go the extra mile, literally. For a lot of cyclists, especially those at club level who do take part in proper events but who aren't pro, it's no different from the people on trackdays who wear the proper gear instead of jeans and a t-shirt. If you can afford the best, then why not? No harm in it.

Because they put it on and *think* they are racing for olympic gold and PBs on public roads.

Even more ridiculous are the ones that shave their legs.

Its their choice, doesn't mean it isn't a daft one made for all the wrong reasons.

Like I said previously, go live in Europe and see what they wear there and how they cycle....

In that case, all teachers should have tweed jackets and leather elbow pads as mandatory. Children will get a better education.
as a teacher its common knowledge that dressing smartly can help to build a better teaching environment. Its stills down to the teachers skills but dressing smartly, is a small tool in a teachers arsenal.

Because they put it on and *think* they are racing for olympic gold and PBs on public roads.

Even more ridiculous are the ones that shave their legs.

Its their choice, doesn't mean it isn't a daft one made for all the wrong reasons.

Like I said previously, go live in Europe and see what they wear there and how they cycle....

In Japan and in particularly in Tokyo they share the pavement with pedestrians at a sedate speed

dressed in work clothes or normal every day clothes, they are not allowed on the streets, sometimes at

weekends you will see an organized group of "Lance Armstrongs" on the road but observing all traffic signals

and road signs, there is no road wars with cyclists in Tokyo like here because they BEHAVE properly.. :scare: :scare:

• Like 1

In that case, all teachers should have tweed jackets and leather elbow pads as mandatory. Children will get a better education.
as a teacher its common knowledge that dressing smartly can help to build a better teaching environment. Its stills down to the teachers skills but dressing smartly, is a small tool in a teachers arsenal.

I dress smart therefore, I am smart. LOOK AT MY ELBOW PATCHES DAMN YOU!
  • Like 1

In the defence of riders, I used to be a very keen club road cyclist who used to go out regulary / be mainstay with 'hard' groups. 130 miles of hilly rides with sprints for the road signs (and 3 pints of beer/cider at a pub for lunch) was normal. 'Them were the days' (30 odd years ago) so to speak laddies.

Lycra is functional - the tops have rear pockets, the material is slippery, breaths easily and is low drag. The shorts are padded and importantly stretchy. 130 miles in chaffing day wear with seams just would not do at all. Yes the jerseys are emblazened with bright colours and logos, but club cyclists are epic fans of their sports, so like to feel a bit part of it. Woe betide an upstart who tried to wear yellow, red or green jerseys and not be able to cut the mustard though. Prisoners weren't taken :thumbs:

As for leg shaving, aero benefits are minimal, but crashes are a part and parcel of road racing and picking leg hair out scrapes and road rash is the pits. Better go smooth.

As riders, we always used to obey road rules and traffic lights - even if we did clog the road up a bit in pack, but there were far fewer cars back then. I properly binned cycling for cars in my twenties however (no going back btw).

Its the damn modern cycle commuters that need to grow some respect for others - I refer to them as road parasites. I think it's more to do with a lot of people today don't give a flying fudge about other people and think rules aren't made for them. OK :wheelchair:

• Like 1

Mostly, the 'lone wolf' team sky shirted riders are the wannabe non-club types. Its certainly not respectable club behaviour where :ban: was enforced if a person repeatedly transgressed. Time trials for example, are picked on routes without lights. But commuters.. :doh::rant:

Oh and that was post 350 for me. I've arrived - go me :yahoo:

Where I live is heavily setup for cycling, with dedicated wide paths specific for bikes away from the road.

And where do you think 90% of the bikes go

On the mother fudging road

sounds like cambridge, cycle routes painted on pathways yet they all ride adjacent road

• Like 1

Where I live is heavily setup for cycling, with dedicated wide paths specific for bikes away from the road.

And where do you think 90% of the bikes go

On the mother fudging road

Dont get me started on cycle lanes. Loads around here never get used they are always in the road.

They closed a road around here for 2 weeks to put in a cycle lane, this narrowed down the road so

no overtaking lane now, cycle lane doesn't get used, so now you follow the "wally on the bike! down

the whole road at 10MPH... :rant: :rant:

So, coming home from work - just past the high street in the village, there's a one way system which has a 10-12ft stone wall on one side and the other full of parked cars. I get halfway along , and here comes mum,dad and two kids on bicycles (the wrong way) weaving between the drivable road and the parked cars - not one safety hat/helmet between them! Not exactly setting a good example to the next generation.

Obviously, if this had been a car or a motorcycle, there would have been legal implications, yet cyclists can get away with this sort of behaviour.

• Like 2