Darren-B's 1971 240z Project Pumpkin Major UPDATE P48

Darren-B

Well my brother is dropping the wheels off for tyres tomorrow :)

& this evening I managed to fit the shocks & re-assemble the front suspension.

Also I removed the oem air box

2014-08-20_22-38-17.jpeg

2014-08-20_22-38-42.jpeg

& got these babies fitted

2014-08-20_22-39-04.jpeg

2014-08-20_22-39-38.jpeg

I know it's probably more efficient with the stock intake, but `i don't care, once the engine bay is refreshed these will look so much cooler :)

Hopefully tomorrow night I'll be able to give it a little tune up, check the gaps, timing, sync the carbs & adjust the fuelling if necessary.

• Like 5

If those are twin SU carb, have a look at http://www.burlen.co.uk They do all the servicing and rebuild kits. I got some stuff for mine and they were really helpful.

Wheels look great!

Yes they are the twin SU's with the 3screw dashpot covers

Thanks for the link, so there are actually companies in the UK I can buy parts from :) Prices are reasonable to.

At the moment I'm just getting the car upto scratch, doing the easy bits & learning about all this 'old stuff' trouble is that the more I drive the car the more I enjoy it which is going to be so annoying when I start the re-build.

Hows the Jag coming along?

Getting there slowly! I've started stripping all the rear suspension down, blast cleaning the bits in the cabinet I've made and painting them ready for rebuilding. I'm ready for seam sealing the body shell now so have treated myself to an air seam sealer gun that will also do the textured oem rubberised under body coating. From the states and even with shipping and duty almost half the price in this country.

seam_sealer_pm2.jpg

So that's this weekends new toy to play with :lol:

I'll have to get some update pics up. Keep up the good work, can't wait to see it all stripped down.

• 2 weeks later...

A little update, haven't really done much with the car other than drive it :drive1 took it out last weekend, got 90 miles from home & started to have some ignition issues @ low revs, which turned out to be that one of the points in the distributor had slipped out of position :( (Thanks papa smurf for coming to the rescue)

So this week I managed to source a reconditioned distributer complete with new vacuum advance diaphragm, condenser & a new 1.5ohm lucas coil suitable to run @5v. So the old one was removed

2014-08-31_20-15-55.jpeg

2014-08-31_20-21-40.jpeg\

2014-08-31_20-23-26.jpeg

Then fitted the new one

2014-08-31_20-23-56.jpeg

2014-08-31_20-24-40.jpeg

Checked the point gaps & timed the car up to standard spec. Installed the new coil & then went for a drive out to the seaside.

What I didn't check was that the point adjusters were secured properly :headhunt: 45 miles into the drive & I found myself with the same ignition problem as last week :blush: but a 5min stop & supervision from SMD & we were back up & running.

3 generations of Zeds, & Daves support vehicle for when I broke down (again) although I didn't have enough camera angle to get the Papa's car in :sorry:

2014-08-31_20-12-35.jpeg

• Like 2

A very nice day out it was too :)

It was nice to get the car through some corners today, I'm still learning it step by step & being pretty weary as there are a lot of tired bushes & still not sorted the geo other than with my fishing wire. Feels pretty stable through the corners & changing direction. I think a trip to Wales is in need to see what she can really do :drive1

• Like 2

A very nice day out it was too :)

It was nice to get the car through some corners today, I'm still learning it step by step & being pretty weary as there are a lot of tired bushes & still not sorted the geo other than with my fishing wire. Feels pretty stable through the corners & changing direction. I think a trip to Wales is in need to see what she can really do :drive1

Now that sounds like a plan. See you there ;)

A little update, haven't really done much with the car other than drive it :drive1 took it out last weekend, got 90 miles from home & started to have some ignition issues @ low revs, which turned out to be that one of the points in the distributor had slipped out of position :( (Thanks papa smurf for coming to the rescue)

So this week I managed to source a reconditioned distributer complete with new vacuum advance diaphragm, condenser & a new 1.5ohm lucas coil suitable to run @5v. So the old one was removed

2014-08-31_20-15-55.jpeg

2014-08-31_20-21-40.jpeg

2014-08-31_20-23-26.jpeg

Then fitted the new one

2014-08-31_20-23-56.jpeg

2014-08-31_20-24-40.jpeg

Checked the point gaps & timed the car up to standard spec. Installed the new coil & then went for a drive out to the seaside.

What I didn't check was that the point adjusters were secured properly :headhunt: 45 miles into the drive & I found myself with the same ignition problem as last week :blush: but a 5min stop & supervision from SMD & we were back up & running.

3 generations of Zeds, & Daves support vehicle for when I broke down (again) although I didn't have enough camera angle to get the Papa's car in :sorry:

2014-08-31_20-12-35.jpeg

My Supervision consisted of saying "oh that's an engine" :blush:

Pumpkin looks lovely in the flesh :cloud9:

Looking great Darren, she's really coming along nicely

Thanks, it will be going backwards from the 1st of October. Planning to start the strip down then, hopefully have the shell stripped, repaired & ready for painting by Christmas. But in the mean time I need to decide, New iPhone 6 or new Mig welder & engine stand

Looking great Darren, she's really coming along nicely

Thanks, it will be going backwards from the 1st of October. Planning to start the strip down then, hopefully have the shell stripped, repaired & ready for painting by Christmas. But in the mean time I need to decide, New iPhone 6 or new Mig welder & engine stand

Let all the first adopters have all the problems and buy the really important stuff first. :)
  • Like 1