Jacking car up

jimboy2

I know, I know this has been asked before.

I'm am a bit of a noob when it comes to car mechanics.

Where do I jack the car up using the trolly jack and garage jack point.

Yes I have searched and yes I have seen the picture where it is circled.

But what I want to see it where YOU put your trolly jack when lifting your car. Could someone take a picture for me when your next doing it? Or someone got a picture of the underside of their car and can circle the exact points I should use?

Thank you

We'll as you know, you've answered you own question. Lol

Jack it up as on the diagram you describe. Trolley jack goes on the rear diff. There is a round metal knob that protrudes down from the diff - this is the jacking point so you don't have to remove the diff cover.

20130926_163747_zpsde1551b4.jpg

The front goes in between the front wheels, behind where the engine under cover is bolted. This I have a picture of.....

IMAG0132.jpg

20130926_163701_zps68d57a5e.jpg

Getting under the car far enough can be a pain, I need to use block first. I just cut a length of 4x4 into 4 pieces. I drive up on these then there is room for the jack.

IMAG0131.jpg

IMAG0133.jpg

The other jacking points are marked by a little V cut out in the sill seam. This is designed for the scissor jack which has a slot in it for the seam so as not to damage it.

You can use a trolley jack or axle stand there, but with caution and you'll need to use a piece of wood or a hockey puk with a slot cut out so you don't crush the sill.

20130926_163729_zpsed282041.jpg

20130926_163715_zpse23dbca6.jpg

Hope that helps.

Edited by Sam Mcgoo
  • Like 8

You won't have the knob on the HR, that's why you can't see it ;)

Best pic I've got, of mine. There's basically a flat area behind the fins on the diff, that is where you want to jack it.

fCXc9Aj.jpg

Edit-

Found another pic of mine, should be clearer:

oBrkEfv.jpg

Edited by Jp606
  • Like 2

That's the first time I've seen actual pics, they're really helpful as that diagram is pants, I couldn't relate it to anything under the car.

This is good to hear. I'm hoping I'm answering a question a lot of people may have felt stupid to answer. That diagram shows you roughly where it is, but even the idea of jacking of a diff sounds wrong to some one like me. I'm expecting a flat piece with the words jack here on it!

So from the fins. Is the flat bit towards the front or the rear of the car?

Flat bit toward the front, the rusty looking bit!

I had the same problem with jacking when I first got the Z too, the drawing didn't really show much and like you said it didn't seem right to jack on the diff.

Edited by Jp606

Just get an air bag jack..end of problem. :thumbs:

Sorry Flex the diagram makes perfect sense to me.

I also enclose a complete user manual showing the jacking points and the jack position. :surrender:

Well good for you but trying to translate that to looking under the car for someone with little knowledge it just doesn't relate as it's not detailed enough and that's what the OP needed - a clear picture of what to jack on to.

• Like 1

You won't have the knob on the HR, that's why you can't see it ;)

Best pic I've got, of mine. There's basically a flat area behind the fins on the diff, that is where you want to jack it.

fCXc9Aj.jpg

Edit-

Found another pic of mine, should be clearer:

oBrkEfv.jpg

Perfect. Thank you very much.

In years too come people will be googling this exact same thing and hopefully come across your pictures!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hello all,

Quick question, hopefully not a stupid one.

I'll be resting my 350Z on jack stands for a few days - with regard to the sill seam that runs down the length of the car and having some sort of slotted puck/piece of wood diverting the load off the seam, the outer side of the seam seems rather flimsy plastic and the inner side is metal. Should the load of the car be on both sides (so this includes the outer plastic side) or should the stands be placed just on the inside thus avoiding the seam altogether?

Just a thought as the usual thing is to spread the load on each side of the seam but on the 350Z with the plastic outer I'm not so sure on this car. Also, the inner side of the seam sits lower than the outside, so some sort of slotted puck arrangement would need to be thicker on the outside.

e.g., on both sides like this:

http://g35driver.com/forums/attachments/picture-share/134412d1299854487-jack-stands-g-z_07_lr.jpg

or just on the inside like this

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/LT1SS/media/IMG_0393.jpg.html

Just thought I'd check as I haven't had the car long and don't want to be a plonker and have it fall over or something equally daft.

Cheers

Edited by Alex HMB

• 4 years later...

Thanks Zman for reply. It def didn't seem right- looking through threads it seems the other cars don't have this protective cover so can be jacked from the front diff housing. The protective cover on mine is not plastic but painted metal. I jacked from the other recognised approved points in the end. 

Edited by Lolli pop
Amend

• 1 year later...
On 05/11/2019 at 08:45, ZMANALEX said:

Also safe to jack up on inner sill with appropriate puck providing there is no corrosion present.

image.png.05082c14c14789fca667329cd2d88bc2.png

Is this the position on the inner sills, front and rear, that each have two "V" cut outs? Thanks.

3 hours ago, Loadmaster said:

Is this the position on the inner sills, front and rear, that each have two "V" cut outs? Thanks.

Sounds like you have the right spots.

I tend to jack the rear on the 'kidney stays' - UK cars have a plastic diff cover which tends to deform greatly if you tried to jack the car on it.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, msitpro said:

Sounds like you have the right spots.

I tend to jack the rear on the 'kidney stays' - UK cars have a plastic diff cover which tends to deform greatly if you tried to jack the car on it.

The diff has a peg that sticks down lower though that’s designed to be the jacking point, so that you don’t jack on the actual diff casing and damage the fins.

• Like 2