Azure Blue bumper & rear quarter panel respray problem

Tommo79

So I took my car last week to a local body shop to have the front bumper repsrayed due to stone chips and also the rear quarter panel resprayed due to bubbling around the wheel arch.

The colour where it has been done is darker than the rest of the car, and has quite an obvious purple hue to it at certain angles when the sun hits it, it really shows up though under artificial light from torch, car headlight etc.

So I spoke to the paint shop and they said they definitely used the correct paint code, and that the colour is a flippy colour.

They said I can take the car back to them to look at, they tried to blend the bumper into the front wheel arches, they have said they may need to blend into/paint the bonnet aswell.

Anyone had this problem with the azure before? Is there anything that I could check that they are doing to make sure they get a better colour match if they spray it again?

It seems that there is only one paint code for this colour, so I'm not sure what else can be done to get a better match?

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Same problem with mine, front end bonnet and passenger door were done and the shade is slightly darker. I did the chips on my skirts with aerosol with the paint code and that is the same shade as the panels I had painted, I think there may be a few different shades where the OE paint seems to be lighter than the mixes.

Yeah, it's the purple hue in it that's doing my head in mainly, rather than the actual darkness of the colour. I took it to another body shop for a second opinion, and he said it's almost as if there is too much red in the colour of the respray. :(

What I did notice when using aerosol was if I put a heavy build up of base before the clear coat it did have a very slight purple tinge at certain angles, but if I powdered it in to blend the purple went...not a painter so not quite sure how it all works..

I remember replying to something similar a while back, I had the stone chips sprayed just before last years Le Mans.

My painter was so unhappy with the match off his own back he went to factory & had it blended just so & re did it a week later.

1 year on, needs doing again I note.

Paddy, I did offer you some of this for matching.

Also it they use the wiper washer cap as the match plate under the spectrometer it'll be matching it from a plastic panel and not metal......I say that as the washer cap is the easiest thing to remove so I reckon it gets used a lot.

Azure is an unholy nightmare to match

Yup, I can confirm you'll be very lucky to get an exact match.

There's several different colours on mine!

That really does look too purple though - you're asking a lot for a perfect match, but that doesn't even look like a good match.

I do a bit of spraying and it is a perennial problem getting colours to match - for all the reasons people have mentioned.

That's why they like to spray full sides / ends - so people aren't disappointed...usually.

Paddy, I did offer you some of this for matching.

Thanks mate, it was appreciated, but wasn't practical at the time just before Wales. Besides, the front had already been resprayed so doubt it would have still matched. I also hadn't planned on being crashed into a few weeks later! :(

yours does look really good to be fair.

In some light mine doesn't look too bad, just slightly dark, which I could live with probably.

What I can't live with is the purple colour that shows up when the sun catches it at kind of a side on angle in the evening or early morning, and also shows up really bad under artificial light (car headlight, torch etc) I'm going back there this saturday, so will just have to say I'm not happy and want it doing again.

If they used the right paint code, I don't know how it has ended up with the purple hue to it? as the original paint doesn't have that in as far as I'm aware?

Well maybe the company or components they are using are not very high quality , my friend who done my car said he ordered the expensive paint in comparison to what they normally use. I'm not sprayer so I don't really know what the difference would be but mine is spot on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Had this re-done by them a couple of weeks back, and it does look a lot better second time round, the guy from the body shop actually got the guy from the paint manufacturer that they use, out to have look at it with him.

• 2 weeks later...