Do all HR 350z's have rattling Trannies!?

megatombomb

No, not angry transvestites but seriously....it has been 2 years since I sold my first 2007 HR 350z and I am very keen to return to ownership of another one. I remember my first car having a rattling from the gearbox that was only audible when clutch engaged (ie pedal up) especially in neutral but also on the move in gears though it wasn't accompanied by any excessive whining. I had the clutch and DMF replaced along with genuine Nissan box oil change and it made no difference. I asked the very question on here back then and there were suggestions that it is common on these cars and normal even. Indeed its not hard to find youtube vids of noisy 350 transmissions.

I have enquired with a private owner today about his HR and after asking about it he quite honestly described his car as having the exact symptoms of my old car. This example has a mere 36000 miles on the clock.

Just this second I have kindly been sent a video from a dealer offering another nice low 36000 miles example and in the video the second the clutch pedal comes up the noise is clearly audible.

I guess this somewhat answers my question so maybe I should ask are there any Z owners out there that dont have this noisy, rattly transmission or for those who have, has it resulted in major gearbox woes?

Please bear in mind I am a twice over Alfa Romeo GTV owner which has naturally made me suspicious of every noise on a car lol.

Thanks in advance

Yep mines a 57 HR with less than 18k on the clock & is the same as you describe. There are no issues changing into any gears etc. I was curious when I bought it but soon found it to be perfectly normal....for a zed.

Uh oh do you mean the kind of Alfa Romeo 'character' used as an excuse for lots of things going wrong or 'character' in a good way lol!?

Maybe I will test drive every HR to allay my fears lol.

Seriously though my first car's rattle was louder than the engine (bonnet down) itself ,which having spent 4 years in the motor trade surrounded by high performance cars seems abit odd!

Would love to hear more from owners!

Super replies fella's

Guess I don't need to worry about it.

There must surely come a point where it gets deemed excessive - I truly imagined my first one having a major failure as the clutch and fly replacement meant it had to be probem in the gearbox itself.

Am glad as ive already got Nismo Dual intakes ordered (backwards I know) and a custom straight pipe exhaust lined up so I wont hear it anywhoo :cloud9:

My poor neighbourhood :lol:

• Like 1

Went and drove an 08 HR today gentlemen (and ladies lol) and although it did have some rattle from the g/box it was certainly not as bad as my first car. 36K on the clock. Shift felt fine on the road I forgot how its almost deliberatley notchy to encourage a positive change. No whining to note. Only a notable clicking and feeling halfway up the cutch pedal travel resulting in accompanying minor rattling sounds!!

Didnt pull the trigger this time but appetite is now wetter ;)

• 4 weeks later...